LEHIGH Anthracite Review

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 10, 2014 8:05 pm

JeepinPete wrote:I also went there on Sat. Thanks to the gps, I ended up taking the long way (shame on me for not double checking the dang thing :mad: ). Got there at 2 on the dot, they still let me in. I ended up with 1.4t of rice. Didn't want to push it this time as it was the first time with this trailer (which I bought that morning), and the first tow of any real weight with my Land Cruiser.

The coal is the cleanest I have bought , which includes loads from Harmony, Direnzo, and Blacshak. Pick up a hand full and your hands were not totally black. Can't comment on how it is burning yet as there was some leftover from last winter.

The folks at Lehigh were polite and friendly. I will be buying my coal from them for as long as they sell it :D
Your EFM will really like it. I have burned about 1/2 ton of Lehigh rice in my DF520 and I am very pleased with it.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 7:03 am

Speaking of directions , does anyone [possibly a local] , know when that detour in town will be lifted. It sure makes for a bit of nuisance swinging thru a town that is already "tight". Mike

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 9:47 am

Bridge is done! road is open!! 8-)

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Tue. Oct. 14, 2014 7:39 am

Razzler, Thank You for the bridge information ,that will make things a lot easier. Mike

JeepinPete
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by JeepinPete » Tue. Oct. 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes, it burns real nice in my EFM. So far I am very happy with it. It seems to keep a fire very well too.

mxzx21
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: stove,nut,and pea
Other Heating: oil and wood pellet

Post by mxzx21 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum & relatively new to burning coal. I bought a Harman Mark III last year to offset my wood pellet use. I've been fortunate enough to have gotten about 3tons last year for free and probably about 4-5 tons this year. I just had a few questions to ask in regards to call quality, has anyone bought & burned any from lehigh in tamaqua? I was going to run down from orange county NY to a few tons & was just wondering about the quality of coal. Also have any of you guys heard of coal going bad? I know its a dumb question but I have heard both sides & was just wondering. The reason I ask is because I was given access to a large amount of what seems to be rice coal that's been in a large coal room for an unknown amount of time. The rooms is kind of damp but completely sealed off from any light. The woman who owns the home said as far as they know the coal use came to an end sometime in the 1950's. Thank you for all your help & knowledge ahead of time. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 4:24 pm

I purchased 23 tons of Lehigh coal a few months ago, and it has been burning excellent. I would not hesitate to buy more if I needed it.

Anthracite stored in a basement bin will not go bad. You aren't going to burn that rice in a hand-fed stove, but I'm sure you could find someone that would.

mxzx21
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: stove,nut,and pea
Other Heating: oil and wood pellet

Post by mxzx21 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Thank you Rob R.
I don't want to be a pain but as I said before I'm new to this. I was just wondering why I couldn't burn the coal in my stove? Last year I was given 4 large trash cans full of what I'm guessing was pea-coal which was a little bigger than this stuff which I burned towards the end of the season. It did burn a little differently than the stuff I had before which were very large chunks. I noticed there was a little less heat but my burn times were about 3-4 hrs longer. I understand it packs tighter allowing less air so I just gave my stove a bit more air & it burned ok. I did notice that the stove does not say rice coal but I was intending to give it a shot being it was free.
As for the coal itself, I was not in a bin. It was on a old concrete & stone floor with a brick & steel ceiling. It does leak in the room due to the way the coal loaded which was through a man hole cover in the driveway and because the room is actually under part of the driveway & a flower garden. Must have been quite the site back in the day...
Any info as always is greatly appreciated and always helpful.
Thank you once again.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Today, I got the word and the match was ignited. I am using Lehigh buck in the Keystoker this year. It looks to me like a nice burning coal, namely it has intense glow, short cropped yellow/blue flames, and a complete burn. I will have to comment further when I get a decent pile of ash to judge and see how fast my hopper volume drops. In addition, in the mail today I received a nice letter signed by the president of Lehigh stating the prices of their product and they desire my future business. So far it can't get much better than that. Mike

Penn507

Post by Penn507 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 6:51 pm

In the mail today ,I received a letter from Lehigh regarding their price changes. Buck will be $30 a ton cheaper than Rice. Has anybody used Lehigh Buck in a EFM 520 ?

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 118.7KB | image.jpg

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info, but it would be easier to read if it was not upside down. ;) :lol:

I've been trying to decide if it would be worth the trip to pull my 10k pound equipment trailer with some stake sides on it down there to pick up three or four tons? It's about a four hour round trip plus loading & unloading time. I figure that it's probably going to cost me at least $70 for gas to do it.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:36 pm

If you figure $80 divide by 4 ton = $20/ton for hauling it your self +$160 = $180/ton,doubtful that you can get it delivered for that but since you didn't put your town & state in your profile we don't know how to figure other than the driving time you posted & that might be because you drive extra slow. :)

Penn507

Post by Penn507 » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 8:23 pm

[quote="Protrucker"]Thanks for the info, but it would be easier to read if it was not upside down. ;) :lol:

Ya , I was on my feet when I took the pic, don't know why it ended upside down. With a four hour drive ,why not load your trailer to capacity ???

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 10:56 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:If you figure $80 divide by 4 ton = $20/ton for hauling it your self +$160 = $180/ton,doubtful that you can get it delivered for that but since you didn't put your town & state in your profile we don't know how to figure other than the driving time you posted & that might be because you drive extra slow. :)
I updated my profile to show more information.
It's about a two hour drive to Lehigh in Tamaqua according to Google Maps. I figure that I will use up a half a day to get the coal from there, when it's a two hours drive down, get loaded, two hours drive back & shovel the coal off the trailer.
Penn507 wrote:
Protrucker wrote:Thanks for the info, but it would be easier to read if it was not upside down. ;) :lol:

Ya , I was on my feet when I took the pic, don't know why it ended upside down. With a four hour drive ,why not load your trailer to capacity ???
Full capacity would be just under 4 tons on that trailer. It's rated as a 10K pound trailer, but that's gross vehicle weight. The trailer weighs a little over 2,000 pounds empty.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 6:53 am

If you have the time,it's doubtful you can better that price per ton,maybe if you could split a load with another member near you,maybe.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”