Another Yellow Flame Toy!!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Well, I got myself another new toy courtesy of member "StovePipeMike". Like I realy need another one!

This one comes with a sad boiler story,

The original owner had only run it for 2 years. His wife didn't like the dust getting on the luandry in the basement. He even built block walls to enclose it, the wife still wouldn't have it. He turned it off and had an oil boiler installed!

Fast forward about 25 years. Mike finds out about it, makes a deal with the owner for the boiler. The owner is in the process of getting a new oil boiler installed and wants the Yellow Flame out of there in this process. Mike takes the stoker out and leaves his trailer there so the install crew can load it on the trailer when they get it out. The install crew decides the only way to get the Yellow Flame out is to CUT IT INTO PIECES!!! OUCH!!! They killed a 2 year old Yellow Flame boiler.

Lucky for us, the stoker was saved.

This stoker is the third variation that Yellow Flame made. The same one that member "Dragonslayer" has. This one is serial# 2305. This thing is in REAL NICE shape. All the castings fit together properly, there is no play in the linkage, it runs smooth and quiet.
Newest3Grate 008.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 169.4KB | Newest3Grate 008.JPG
Newest3Grate 003.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 140.3KB | Newest3Grate 003.JPG
Newest3Grate 002.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 86.3KB | Newest3Grate 002.JPG
On this variation, the blower housing is fabricated out of steel, rather that an aluminum casting. Another difference from earlier models is the blower motor has a simple 2 bolt mount onto the side of the blower.
Newest3Grate 009.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 198.7KB | Newest3Grate 009.JPG
Newest3Grate 001.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 169.8KB | Newest3Grate 001.JPG
One very usefull feature on the Yellow Flame is the fines cleanout trap door. You just pull the ring to open the trap door while the blower is running. Do this once a week and you will have no fines buildup under the grates. On this variation they added a welded on tab to keep the trap door in place a little better.
Newest3Grate 006.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 152.5KB | Newest3Grate 006.JPG
Newest3Grate 007.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 124.5KB | Newest3Grate 007.JPG
The reciprocating grate actualy creats a pumping motion to move coal out of the feeder casting and down the grate.
Newest3Grate 026.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 155.4KB | Newest3Grate 026.JPG
Newest3Grate 027.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 148.5KB | Newest3Grate 027.JPG
The pumping action also creats a coal hump a few inches down from the feeder casting.
Newest3Grate 030.JPG

Newest YF 3 grate

.JPG | 167.9KB | Newest3Grate 030.JPG
Sorry, I didn't have any marshmellows or hot dogs. If I did, I would be cook'in on this thing right now.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 11:48 am

Here's what happens when it runs out of coal.
Newest3GrateBurndown 001.JPG

When you run out of coal

.JPG | 148.4KB | Newest3GrateBurndown 001.JPG
This photo shows why some people recomend furnace cementing the first few holes in the grates on a Yellow Flame. The reciprocating grate can move those first few holes under or close to the overhanging feeder casting. This can cause the casting to become a chimney.
Newest3GrateBurndown 003.JPG

When you run out of coal

.JPG | 176.7KB | Newest3GrateBurndown 003.JPG
In this photo the feeder looks kind of like an open mouth. It looks like a COAL GOBBLIN, HA HA HAAAA.
Newest3GrateBurndown 004.JPG

When you run out of coal

.JPG | 103.2KB | Newest3GrateBurndown 004.JPG
-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Looks like a nice rig...now get that wanna-be stoker out of your boiler and put this one in.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Rob,

Yah, this one is real nice. When I pull the Tr-Burner out, this is whats go'in in.

If the controls that I installed this weekend work out, I will try to get through til Thanksgiving on the Tri-Burner.

-Don

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 7:33 pm

You could send that my way so I can cut a hole in my hand fed furnace and make it a stoker lol

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Don't think I haven't considered that!

I see wood furnaces for sale fairly often. It's very doubtful that I will ever ware on of these out, so, where will my spairs go? They will either end up in another boiler, rocket stove of wood furnace.

-Don

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 8:15 pm

The only concern I have is... How much more efficient would it be? Lol last winter as brutal as it was I averaged out at 50 lbs a day, last week I burned 125 lbs or 17.8 lbs per day for 7 days in the milder weather, would it be worth the money and time? It would be fun as hell to do! I don't know much about stokers though so idk if it would be worth it, there is one guy on here that put two in a Clayton, that is awesome.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I would say 50 pounds a day is good for last winter, in something that big. My Yellow Flame ran between 90 and 120 pounds a day last winter. I am hoping the improvements I am currently making will reduce its appetite.

-Don

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Me too, I've been following the thread, I'm also hoping that with my mods this year I can cut back also, we will see

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”