Wl110

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Fri. Oct. 10, 2014 12:26 pm

xandrew245x wrote:That easy, huh? Another issue though, I would have the optional flue cleanout attached, I assume that counts as one 90, it would then have to do another 90 to go towards the chimney, then another 90 to go into the thimble, that is the use of 3 90s. In the manual it says no more than 2 90s.

I could however turn the wl110 so the back is facing the existing boiler, but the the problem arises that I would not have 48" of clearance to my water heater (that could be moved if push comes to shove)
Hehe, well, easy.... :P

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/27/270 ... C202524127

As for the 3 90s, If you come off the boiler as one, and run your vent pipe to the thimble, you should be able to adjust the angle to get into the thimble with the second 90, I'm thinking. I have a 90 off the top of my boiler, and a flex couple at the thimble that allows me to slope the vent pipe upwards to exhaust.

xandrew245x
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: aarrow stratford 75
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut/rice
Other Heating: Oil boiler, fireplace

Post by xandrew245x » Fri. Oct. 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Well, pros are, I have access to a hammer drill with various bits, I have experience cutting, drilling and chiseling concrete, that is nothing new to me at all. So In all honesty it isn't that daunting of a challenge for me.

Kstills, does yours have the optional clean out on it? If I skipped the clean out I could bring the vent pipe up to clear over the supply lines, 90 it to the left with a flex 90 to get the height on it then 90 it into the thimble. The supply lines would just have to be 90 off to the left or right to give room for the vent to go through. Couldn't I put a tee after the 90 to give an access to clean out the exhaust pipe?

So after the hole is cut, I just insert a clay thimble and cement it up with high temperate cement? What about the old thimble? Should I remove it, cap it off, or what?

You have been a big help, I appreciate it.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 4:48 am

Powervent the oil and use the chimney for the coal if possible. It will save you quite a bit of money short and long term,

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 8:11 am

That sounds like a plan, once the boiler arrives I will work moving the thimble higher.

Matt was supposed to give me a call yesterday so I could pay for it, but I know you guys are really busy right now, I'll call monday to get it taken care of. I'm going to need some help on the installation, the plumbing seems pretty straight forward, but I think the electrical is going to stump me a bit.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 16, 2014 8:03 am

Well, last night I found a pretty decent sized puddle underneath my boiler. It had been raining very hard all day, so I thought maybe water got into the chimney some how. The rain stopped late afternoon yesterday, and I checked again this morning to a even bigger puddle underneath. I looked top to bottom with no sign of leakage. Every 30 seconds or so I would hear gurgling and then water trickling down from one of the zones. I have suspicion that there may be an internal leak. My boiler is from the 80s so its probably due time for it to go. I shut off the water supply valve and checked the psi and I'm going to monitor it all over the next couple days.

kstills

Post by kstills » Thu. Oct. 16, 2014 8:47 am

xandrew245x wrote:Well, last night I found a pretty decent sized puddle underneath my boiler. It had been raining very hard all day, so I thought maybe water got into the chimney some how. The rain stopped late afternoon yesterday, and I checked again this morning to a even bigger puddle underneath. I looked top to bottom with no sign of leakage. Every 30 seconds or so I would hear gurgling and then water trickling down from one of the zones. I have suspicion that there may be an internal leak. My boiler is from the 80s so its probably due time for it to go. I shut off the water supply valve and checked the psi and I'm going to monitor it all over the next couple days.
Man, you are pushing the envelope here for installation.

Next week in this neck of the woods we'll be in the 50's all week for a high. That is the start of the heating season for me.

Although yesterday it was 78 degrees upstairs, unfreakingbelievable......

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 16, 2014 2:07 pm

kstills wrote:
xandrew245x wrote:Well, last night I found a pretty decent sized puddle underneath my boiler. It had been raining very hard all day, so I thought maybe water got into the chimney some how. The rain stopped late afternoon yesterday, and I checked again this morning to a even bigger puddle underneath. I looked top to bottom with no sign of leakage. Every 30 seconds or so I would hear gurgling and then water trickling down from one of the zones. I have suspicion that there may be an internal leak. My boiler is from the 80s so its probably due time for it to go. I shut off the water supply valve and checked the psi and I'm going to monitor it all over the next couple days.
Man, you are pushing the envelope here for installation.

Next week in this neck of the woods we'll be in the 50's all week for a high. That is the start of the heating season for me.

Although yesterday it was 78 degrees upstairs, unfreakingbelievable......
Space heaters, last year that was basically how we heated most of the year because I hated running my furnace. Its going to just have to work until I get the boiler installed. I'm going to leave the oil boiler in for now in case I do need it, I'm going to just have to deal with water leaking from it for a while. The weather has been crazy. Its been in the 60s still here and 40s at most at night, but the other day it was almost 80 it was crazy.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Here is a design somebody supplied to me on a basic parallel boiler hookup. Does this look like it would work correctly with the wl110?
zones3_zpsed12d591.png
.PNG | 343.7KB | zones3_zpsed12d591.png

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Yes, basic.

Need lots of valves and plenty of unions added.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Sun. Oct. 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Yes, I want to put in enough valves so either side could be disconnected and run one at a time if need, enough unions that it all could easily be taken apart if I decide to move and take it with me.

kstills

Post by kstills » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 12:47 pm

xandrew245x wrote:Yes, I want to put in enough valves so either side could be disconnected and run one at a time if need, enough unions that it all could easily be taken apart if I decide to move and take it with me.
That's a nice, safe option.

The reality is, however, that once you run the WL110 for a bit, you'll never, ever use your oil boiler again.

Because, of course, the WL 110 is dual fuel...... ;)

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Yeah, I probably won't ever use my oil boiler again, but I am more thinking about if I move I want to take it with me so it will be pretty straight forward to remove and then run the oil boiler alone.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”