KA6 Boiler Questions

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 10:23 am

yep...and it looks like they were all quickly answered.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Oct. 21, 2014 9:33 am

lsayre wrote:Mike, was it you that used to mention something about old dead people knowing a thing or two about boiler sizing, and always installing boilers with plenty of BTU's?
Yes I think I've mentioned that a couple of times. :lol: To be fair, I think Dan Holohan coined the original reference to the "Dead Men", and George Santayana should get credit for "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." I think normally it's important to understand why things were done the way they were as part of deciding the best way to move forward (whether or not that involves change).

Mike

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Tue. Oct. 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Dan also wrote that the only two correct answers to wet system questions are

"It Depends"

and

"Ill get back to you"

I try to stick to them

adk mtn coal burner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker boiler
Coal Size/Type: prefer buckwheat, but OK with rice

Post by adk mtn coal burner » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi - my experience...
Have a huge old wood frame house (cure cottage) built in 1895. When we bought home 40 yrs ago, it had a boiler that had previously been converted from coal to oil; very inefficient, but fuel oil was 0.35 per gallon back then. When oil sky rocketed to 0.59 per gallon, we had to do something. After a few trialled options with wood, we installed a Keystoker in about 1978, I forget whether it is a6 or a8. It is fabulous. We had it hooked up to the existing oil boiler, so coal boiler actually heats both boilers , but we turn off the oil when running coal. We use the oil, with coal turned off, if we travel for a week to see grandkids. We shut down coal for summer and that does adversely affect the health of the boiler. We had to replace the Keystoker jacket after 27 years, as the jacket developed leaks. I believe if you run it 12 months per year, it sustains the health of the boiler and prevents corrosion causing leaks. We have back up electric domestic hot water heater for summer use. The old house had an existing coal bin that we revitalized and continue to use; can hold well over 10 ton. I will only use oiled coal, after non-oiled was delivered one year. The non-oiled was VERY dusty, while the oiled has negligible dust. Coal bin is not connected to hopper, it is at other side of basement, so I haul 30-40# bucket loads to fill hopper manually. The most dusty part is hauling ash bins outside to dump them in large ash cans. I always leave ash bin in basement for a day or two, to be sure it is cooled down, and only use metal recepticals. I find friends who have dirt driveways, who love my ash for filling their pot holes and traction when drive ices over; they love to come and take my ash. Keep in mind, we live in a very severe winter location, and the coal keeps us delightfully warm.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions for which I can be of assistance.

kevin.m.l
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker ka-6

Post by kevin.m.l » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 6:39 am

I replaced my oil fired boiler this year with a ka-6. I was hesitant to go away from oil completely so I got the dual fuel. I lit the coal fire October 6 and its so easy and reliable I haven't used the oil burner yet and doubt I ever will. The ka-6 just hums along and does its thing. I fill up the hopper once a week and take ashes out twice a week and thats it. I highly recommend it.

Lochlann

Post by Lochlann » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Thank you for all the info on the KA6 , install will be complete tomorrow . Now can anyone point me in the right direction as to building a self feeding pit using a grain auger ? Where do I buy one , what size motor I would need etc

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Sting wrote:Dan also wrote that the only two correct answers to wet system questions are

"It Depends"

and

"Ill get back to you"

I try to stick to them
Sting, you wouldn't be Dan Holohan now, would you? ;)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Lochlann,

I just installed a Westfield grain auger. I have a whole thread in my trials and errors and where I bought it.

Westfield Grain Auger

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”