New to Coal

golfwiz72
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Royal King Boiler
Coal Size/Type: pea, nut
Other Heating: natural gas, wood

Post by golfwiz72 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 9:03 pm

everyone thank you for all the advice and estimates on quantity. I really appreciate everyone helping me through this journey. Now I need to find a good reliable supplier in Western NY and start checking out prices.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 7:41 am

If you have the space and $$ I suggest getting a few ton more than you think you need. If we have a winter like last year people were using more than 'normal' and some suppliers were short on coal last Feb when people were out looking for more coal to get them through the winter. If you have some left over next spring its not a big deal, the stuff won't go bad and then you can spend less on what you buy for the following year.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 8:47 am

golfwiz72 wrote:I would MISS the exercise!! last winter I burned 38 cord, but it was 1 cold windy winter. Usually burn between 30-33 a winter. Ash is always an issue with wood anyway. How much more could there be? My boiler is in the garage so it is out of the house. But really sizes and grade of coal I guess would be the next thing. Thanks to all of you the insight. Nervous about the new endevour but tired of kissing peoples rumps to get the wood in. NOT like you don't pay them for it.
Coal has about 10 times the ash as wood. It runs 10-15% by weight. For every 100 pounds of coal burned expect 10-15 pounds of ash at minimum.. But don't let that be a deal breaker. Coal is soooo much better for soooo many reasons!! :)

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line

Post by Dirty Steve » Tue. Oct. 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Buffalo area coal suppliers thread:

Looking for Coal for Buffallo/Naiagara Falls Region

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”