Pea Coal Vs. Chestnut Coal Vs. Stove Coal

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 7:31 pm

So far, from what we have seen, this year's nut is much more "nutlike" than last year.
A lot bigger pieces, more consistent..
If anything, some of the stuff I have opened seems like small stove,
compared to last year's nut...

Dan

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 8:38 pm

This years supply of Blaschak pea has noticeably smaller chunks than my Blaschak pea from two years ago.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 10:22 pm

lsayre wrote:This years supply of Blaschak pea has noticeably smaller chunks than my Blaschak pea from two years ago.
Is it consistently smaller? Or it just has smaller stuff mixed in? Might just be the loading pulling from the center vs. side of the pile. Regardless, your boiler should burn it fine. A few years back there was a guy on here that said he burned barley size in his S130. :shock:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 12:29 am

Rob R. wrote:
lsayre wrote:This years supply of Blaschak pea has noticeably smaller chunks than my Blaschak pea from two years ago.
Is it consistently smaller? Or it just has smaller stuff mixed in? Might just be the loading pulling from the center vs. side of the pile. Regardless, your boiler should burn it fine. A few years back there was a guy on here that said he burned barley size in his S130. :shock:
Consistently smaller.

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 11:53 am

Here in KY where it's normally not as cold I have been running my Glenwood base burner on a mix for the last two winters. I mix 60% stove and 40% nut coal together and it works AMAZING!!! It doesn't seem to matter if it's milder or colder than normal it performs great on it. I have been doing testing the last little while on Bit. coal in the stove and so far so good. It seems to burn it well although it takes a little longer per fueling to get everything back in shape. It does soot up the windows at first, but once the volatiles burn off and I get it up to temp the soot burns off and it's clean as ever.

It's really a individual thing on coal. No two stoves will burn the same thing exactly the same. Firing style, draft available, and individual stove characteristics all play a part. The best thing you can do is simply experiment.

Cheers,
Jason

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 10:22 am

half-pint wrote:
It's really a individual thing on coal. No two stoves will burn the same thing exactly the same. Firing style, draft available, and individual stove characteristics all play a part. The best thing you can do is simply experiment.

Cheers,
Jason
Words of wisdom Jason. This should be posted in every coal thread on the forum!

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Hello all,

Need to make a run this weekend, and am considering trying pea in my hand fired furnace for the first time. Been burning for over 3 years now, and have only ever used nut. Heat is good, but sometimes can't shut her down far enough in the spring on those mild days...

My questions are, what time range do you guys usually switch? Think its too early yet to go to pea? I'm in NE PA for reference, near Williamsport. Usually buy from Mallard, considering DiRenzo...not sure :(.

Also, wondering if pea may fall through my grates. Mine are the triangular style, 3 total. Have heard from some that you just need to shake less and leave a layer of ash to "hold" the smaller coal in place. That what you guys do, or a bad idea?

Thanks in advance

Joe

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Mon. Sep. 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Well at this point I've tried them all and with my Crawford 40 stove works the best for a couple of reasons. First, the size of the coal works with the size of my grates. While I can burn pea(really tricky but can be done-you have to make sure you leave ash so the coal doesn't pour out between the grates), and nut(much easier but still will drop through the grates if I'm not careful), stove coal works perfectly here with no coal loss to the ash pan depths. Second, because my stove is a baseburner, stove coal just breathes better and the larger coal lets the air get through. In baseburner mode the stove exhaust travels an extra 12' so it really slows down. Last, the firepot in the Crawford is really deep as well so the larger coal really makes a difference. Nut can work but it won't perform as well as stove in a baseburner.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Oct. 22, 2014 8:08 am

BPatrick wrote:Well at this point I've tried them all and with my Crawford 40 stove works the best for a couple of reasons. First, the size of the coal works with the size of my grates. While I can burn pea(really tricky but can be done-you have to make sure you leave ash so the coal doesn't pour out between the grates), and nut(much easier but still will drop through the grates if I'm not careful), stove coal works perfectly here with no coal loss to the ash pan depths. Second, because my stove is a baseburner, stove coal just breathes better and the larger coal lets the air get through. In baseburner mode the stove exhaust travels an extra 12' so it really slows down. Last, the firepot in the Crawford is really deep as well so the larger coal really makes a difference. Nut can work but it won't perform as well as stove in a baseburner.

I've run into similar issues with nut size in my Glenwood #8.......once the fire is established, there heat output seems to be there but getting there is a little more tricky than with stove size. Also, I too have unburned coal in the ash pan (not from overs shaking). Some smaller pieces just get by the grates. I didn't have this issue with stove coal.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 2:31 pm

I get at least 1 piece of what appears to be a "Belt" in every couple bags of Blashack Nut coal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 2:39 pm

It burns don't it? AND, I bet they don't even charge ya extra ;)

Formulabruce

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 4:32 pm

freetown fred wrote:It burns don't it? AND, I bet they don't even charge ya extra ;)
not complaining! just hope it makes smoke cause a few neighbors thought my stove wasnt working!! LOL> No smokin from coal :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Formulabruce wrote:not complaining! just hope it makes smoke cause a few neighbors thought my stove wasnt working!! LOL> No smokin from coal
FB

Last year I ran into a guy in town I have known for years. Not that we are super close but both of us seem to bump into each other a bit. This guy is also a wood burner and we used to see each other at the Town "Dump" back when you could go there and cut all the wood you could ever want. He commented to me: "Geeze I was up by your house a couple of times and I didn't see any smoke coming out of your chimney. Did you put in pellet stove?"

Of course I had to tell him what I had done by going to the "Dark Side". Like many he seem intriqued and even possibly a little excited when I told him that there was NO MORE middle of the "bleepin" night wood stove feedings for this good ole boy. I even invited him over to check things out... Needless to say he hasn't taken me up on my offer..... His loss. :?

Formulabruce

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 10:37 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:
Formulabruce wrote:not complaining! just hope it makes smoke cause a few neighbors thought my stove wasnt working!! LOL> No smokin from coal
FB

Last year I ran into a guy in town I have known for years. Not that we are super close but both of us seem to bump into each other a bit. This guy is also a wood burner and we used to see each other at the Town "Dump" back when you could go there and cut all the wood you could ever want. He commented to me: "Geeze I was up by your house a couple of times and I didn't see any smoke coming out of your chimney. Did you put in pellet stove?"

Of course I had to tell him what I had done by going to the "Dark Side". Like many he seem intriqued and even possibly a little excited when I told him that there was NO MORE middle of the "bleepin" night wood stove feedings for this good ole boy. I even invited him over to check things out... Needless to say he hasn't taken me up on my offer..... His loss. :?
I Love hearing stories like this!! Having heated with wood growing up and always wondering about a chimney fire.. That worry is gone, now its weather I cranked it down so much it goes out!!
I told the guy at the dump last week to keep piling stuff on those hill cause someday it will be coal for somebody!!, that got a odd look hehehe

swattley01
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Gnome 40
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalters Vale Oak 315
Coal Size/Type: nut / rice
Other Heating: March Brownback potbelly #12

Post by swattley01 » Fri. Jan. 08, 2016 10:23 am

i feel one of my problems with my not being able to re light my old cylinder stove is draft coming up from the ash door, the fire burns very hot and I control this with the MPD & Baro damper but the stove still burns hot with a full load of nut coal. I wonder if this older stove would burn pea coal or a mix and maybe not burn so hot all night giving me a longer burn time? any thoughts from you guys that deal with older style stoves?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”