Mr. Herald Install UPDATE!!! Am I Forgetting Any Thing?

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Nope no hidden thimble. I wish.

Here is a Picture of the chimney from the roof. They are two different angles
MMS_20141023_131927.jpg
.JPG | 102.8KB | MMS_20141023_131927.jpg
MMS_20141023_131911.jpg
.JPG | 105.9KB | MMS_20141023_131911.jpg
Had to run out and give those guys a jump. They're truck wouldn't start for some reason.... Hmmm?

So the SS liner is in, but Mr. Herald is still not installed due to having no stove pipe. I would have brought it myself, but I was rather reluctant. Worried about buying the wrong thing. Plus I thought I'd have a actual stove company install the stove Thought they might have had it already.

Any hoot I'm just about there. A bit poorer, but almost there.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Well dang ...that was quick!

Hopefully they put a cap on too?

....is the stove going to vent through the damper plate area or they are coming back to install a thimble?

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Dfrost, I was thinking along the same lines, but didn't want to say too much. Not only would it be an absolutely permanent fix, it would tighten up all those 100yr old joints Which appear to be lime mortar. Lime mortar is not nearly as durable as Portland mortar. How expensive it is I have no clue. But have researched it a bit, and if UNC can afford it is definitely the way to go. THX for bringing this up.
Jim

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Sorry Had to attend to the children. The wife isn't here. She gave me an ultimatum. Either Mr. Herald goes or she does. I hope that she is enjoying her stay at her moms :bop: Just joking.

Yes they are coming back tomorrow to install the thimble. And yes the cap came with the SS liner. Gotta do a bit of research on the poured clay liner. If a SS liner cost $1,000 I am dying to know what that cost. Sheesh!! This has turned out to be a bit more expensive than I had planned. But least it's just about over. Soon I'll have those black rocks that nature provided for us.

And If I haven't thank you guys for being with me today. Forgive me. You guys are the greatest.
Thanks

P.S. Soon I'll have to learn how to work the darn thing. That sounds so bad to me after all the time and money I have invested. And I know very little or better yet have no experience in this arena. Thank God for NEPA Crossroads & the good people who are apart of it.

Rico

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 9:02 pm

UncleDoDat wrote:Sorry Had to attend to the children. The wife isn't here. She gave me an ultimatum. Either Mr. Herald goes or she does. I hope that she is enjoying her stay at her moms :bop: Just joking.

Yes they are coming back tomorrow to install the thimble. And yes the cap came with the SS liner. Gotta do a bit of research on the poured clay liner. If a SS liner cost $1,000 I am dying to know what that cost. Sheesh!! This has turned out to be a bit more expensive than I had planned. But least it's just about over. Soon I'll have those black rocks that nature provided for us.

And If I haven't thank you guys for being with me today. Forgive me. You guys are the greatest.
Thanks

P.S. Soon I'll have to learn how to work the darn thing. That sounds so bad to me after all the time and money I have invested. And I know very little or better yet have no experience in this arena. Thank God for NEPA Crossroads & the good people who are apart of it.

Rico
I was in the same boat not too long ago. Through trial and error though........I still don't know what the hell i'm doin' but it's fun learning. toothy

I can probably be a better help to you in telling you what NOT to do.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 12:19 am

Did they use your phone or camera to take those pictures? Or were those pictures on their camera?

One good set of pictures can sell an awful lot of liner jobs. :idea:

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 3:29 am

Here you go. Installing a poured in place chimney liner.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 3:47 am

To have a poured in liner done in my area you would be looking at $3000.00. I'm sure outside of the northeast it would probably be cheaper. We get porked on everything up here. Glad your making progress. Matt

Edit: Looked thru my paperwork $2295.00 per flue.
Last edited by DePippo79 on Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 8:14 am

I had the local Supaflu rep in to give an estimate to line my fireplace chimney, about 20 years ago - $1400.00 back then.

Paul

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 9:07 am

Matt,
Thanks for the video.
Uncle,
Your almost there. When Mom is warm this Winter enjoying this beautiful stove, she will thank you.
Cheers

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 11:28 am

Just when I'm making progress it all comes to a screeching halt. Why? Because I didn't buy the stove pipe. And the company doesn't have it in, so now I have to wait til Monday to get Mr. Herald installed. Someone from the company could have called. I've been waiting around all morning and I had to call them to find this out. Damn! I am kicking myself in the ass right now. I will never use this company again. I just need to know what type of stove pipe is required. I saw this. http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Black-Stove ... Pipe-Kit-6 Is this what I need.

There is no roof above my frustration level right now. :bang: While typing this I've gotten so upset about not being kept in the loop. I've just called the company to let them know that I should have been kept in the loop and I had things to do today that I could have been doing. They have agreed to knock off a $100 bucks. Big whoopy. I'd pay a extra hundred bucks to have it installed today. :cry2: I'm going to take a nap. I'm depressed. Thinking about my choice of trade. I picked computer repair technology. That's not helping me right now.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 11:55 am

Hey Unc, real sorry to hear that. Why couldn't they have given you a list and sent you get it yesterday? Gotta be a Lowes or hardware store in dover? I know others will be along shortly, but if you could take a pic of back of stove, and where thimble is to go, I'm sure someone can help ya out.
Jim

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Go to your nearest Lowe's or True Value Hardware and get the stove pipe. You need probably two sections of 6" inch diameter pipe, one elbow and a 6 inch pipe damper.
Get a pack of sheet metal screws. If you don't have a hack saw or good quality tin snips, get them.
Do you have a power drill and a set of screwdrivers? If not get them or borrow them.
When you have that stuff together.
Get back on here and we will help you put the pipe in yourself. Step by step.
It is easy and will take no time.
Remember measure twice cut once.
Keep the receipt. If you don't need something you can take it back.
Okay let's get er done.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 12:37 pm

UncleDoDat wrote:Just when I'm making progress it all comes to a screeching halt. Why? Because I didn't buy the stove pipe. And the company doesn't have it in, so now I have to wait til Monday to get Mr. Herald installed. Someone from the company could have called. I've been waiting around all morning and I had to call them to find this out. Damn! I am kicking myself in the ass right now. I will never use this company again. I just need to know what type of stove pipe is required. I saw this. http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Black-Stove ... Pipe-Kit-6 Is this what I need.

There is no roof above my frustration level right now. :bang: While typing this I've gotten so upset about not being kept in the loop. I've just called the company to let them know that I should have been kept in the loop and I had things to do today that I could have been doing. They have agreed to knock off a $100 bucks. Big whoopy. I'd pay a extra hundred bucks to have it installed today. :cry2: I'm going to take a nap. I'm depressed. Thinking about my choice of trade. I picked computer repair technology. That's not helping me right now.
I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade. I had never built anything until I built my log home. From scratch.
Many seemingly daunting tasks become simple when you do them yourself.

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Uncle, that stuff you linked to from Woodland direct is nice stuff albeit pricey. Only problem is you'll have to wait longer for them to ship it. You would probably want some nineties or tees for ash cleanout. It depends what you want. Your looking at $7.99 per piece for the snap together stuff from the box store that will work just fine. You can get the fancy stuff at a latter date. I'll get some pictures and be right back. Matt

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”