WL110 Stoker and Fan Adjustment

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Thu. Oct. 23, 2014 10:21 am

When I was burning bagged coal I would put it in a wheel barrow for a day before using it so it would have a chance to dry out some , that helped me . I decided to start my 110 yesterday as it is cooler here now also . My settings are 40 sec. on and 9 min off , they were around 30 sec. on and 11 min. off . I readjusted my settings a little due to a light heat demand right now . I do circulate into my oil boiler 24/7 . I use blaschak coal as different coal might make a difference also . I did have a hard time to get this new batch of coal going but once it got going it is burning fine . My intention was to increase the time on to 60 sec. ,the new adjustment I made just did't go that long . I have never hit my dump zone temp. which is 210 , maybe because of the constant circulation into my oil boiler . Don't give up as you will work things out .

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 7:33 am

hcarlow wrote:When I was burning bagged coal I would put it in a wheel barrow for a day before using it so it would have a chance to dry out some , that helped me . I decided to start my 110 yesterday as it is cooler here now also . My settings are 40 sec. on and 9 min off , they were around 30 sec. on and 11 min. off . I readjusted my settings a little due to a light heat demand right now . I do circulate into my oil boiler 24/7 . I use blaschak coal as different coal might make a difference also . I did have a hard time to get this new batch of coal going but once it got going it is burning fine . My intention was to increase the time on to 60 sec. ,the new adjustment I made just did't go that long . I have never hit my dump zone temp. which is 210 , maybe because of the constant circulation into my oil boiler . Don't give up as you will work things out .
+1

Solved my issues. :)

Z10396

Post by Z10396 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 11:06 am

I removed the old oil boiler, wasn't able to plumb in tandem. I am power venting.

kptrombl
Stoker Coal Boiler: leisure line WL110

Post by kptrombl » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 6:28 am

Everyone talks about 7 minutes on and one off. My Leisure line has a diagram with a knob for the stoker and fan. I have tried several locations and I am not having good luck. If you said put the stoker at 3 oclock and fan at 7 oclock I would understand. I am getting frustrated with it. The fan is constantly running. Any suggestions.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 8:56 am

Knobs are only for when timer cycle is ON...not for any other times. :idea:

There are pointers to adjust inside...must use a small screwdriver for these...no knobs.

Sorry, I cannot advise any settings...not my boiler. :|

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Like McGiever has stated the knobs are for fine tuning the feed and fan when your not calling for heat to keep a fire going . Use a small screw driver and set your time on for 1 min and off for 7 mins .. If the fan still runs continually after you reach high temp. and feeder shuts off than something is wrong . Look at page 7 if you havn't already as Flyer 5 gives the correct set up to start off with and how to do it . My settings are now 45 sec. on 10 mins. off , this is all trial and error when you get the hang of it .

kstills

Post by kstills » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 9:36 am

McGiever wrote:
Good point, my apologies. :)
No problem, Thanks. :)

Here are some earlier LL110 timer conversations involving Dave and Matt:
110 Timer Settings?
Idle%20Fire%20Control%20Unit.png
The box that the knobs sit on opens up, and inside you'll find these timer adjustments.

Those are what are used to set both the length of time between when the idle circuit comes on, and how long the idle circuit runs when it is on.

MOST folks run ~45 secs on, and delay the idle fire for ~10-11 minutes. YMMV.

Ah, crap, the attachment didn't come over with the quote. Like hcarlow says, look at page 7. :)

Z10396

Post by Z10396 » Wed. Nov. 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Sounds like another rookie. I actually have a handle on things now and have been happily burning coal for three weeks!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Z10396 wrote:Sounds like another rookie. I actually have a handle on things now and have been happily burning coal for three weeks!
You are to be commended for your achievements. :clap:

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 05, 2014 8:28 pm

McGiever wrote:
Here are some earlier LL110 timer conversations involving Dave and Matt:
Click on the link below:
110 Timer Settings?/

Z10396

Post by Z10396 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 7:29 pm

McGiever wrote:
Z10396 wrote:Sounds like another rookie. I actually have a handle on things now and have been happily burning coal for three weeks!
You are to be commended for your achievements. :clap:
Thanks, that means a lot. I couldn't have done it without your support!

kptrombl
Stoker Coal Boiler: leisure line WL110

Post by kptrombl » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 9:41 am

I am a new owner to the Leisure Line 110. The company that installed the unit told me not to adjust the screws inside the box below the stoker and fan dials. Is this correct. I am currently heating a 2200 square feet home and I am burning about 2- 40 pound bags of coal when it is 30 degrees outside. I feel that this is too much. In the ash is a good portion of coal that is not burnt. I have the stoker dial at minimal feed and fan on high. The company has been at my house 4 different times. It has gotten to the point where they are telling me to call Leisure line. I am getting frustrated with the system. Any suggestions.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 9:58 am

Give LL a call and they will be happy to help. Very good folks that are very active on this forum with help and suggestions. Although they are on the forum quite a bit calling them (since it is business hours now) is much more efficient than posting back and forth asking and answering questions about settings and set up.

It would be helpful for you to post the eventual adjustments that were made so others may benefit if they are looking for help during non-business hours.

kstills

Post by kstills » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 3:53 pm

kptrombl wrote:I am a new owner to the Leisure Line 110. The company that installed the unit told me not to adjust the screws inside the box below the stoker and fan dials. Is this correct. I am currently heating a 2200 square feet home and I am burning about 2- 40 pound bags of coal when it is 30 degrees outside. I feel that this is too much. In the ash is a good portion of coal that is not burnt. I have the stoker dial at minimal feed and fan on high. The company has been at my house 4 different times. It has gotten to the point where they are telling me to call Leisure line. I am getting frustrated with the system. Any suggestions.
The amount of coal you'll burn will vary depending on a lot of factors, and the one that will probably have the least effect will be the idle fire settings on your boiler. The caveat to that statement is that I am assuming you are not hitting the dump zone limit temperature every hour or so, and that the idle fire settings are working properly.

When the boiler gets a heat call from a Tstat, it goes into full fan and full stoker mode. Whoever set up your boiler made the adjustment on the stoker feed when they set up the boiler, and if you are getting a good amount of heat, not hitting the dump zone temperature limits and the boiler is not experiencing a lot of out fires then things are probably running the way they should.

I have about a 1500sq. ft house, and if it's 30 during the day and 20 at night, I'm happy to only burn 80lbs of coal a day. I also have my tstats set at 69-68, so regardless of how much coal I'm burning I'm comfortable.

So, in your case, here are the pertinent questions for you to answer:

1). Does the boiler repeatedly hit the dump zone temperatures?
2). Do you have a lot of outfires?
3). All ash from stokers has unburnt coal, and a good amount of shale in it (depending on where the mine is). Do you have a full grate of fire when the boiler gets a heat call from the tstat?
4). How much ash is there at the end of the grate, in inches?
5). For comparison, what fuel source did you use last year (or whenever you replaced the old boiler with the LL), and how much of that did you use on cold days? There is a fuel comparison guide on the homepage that will help you determine if you are getting the same BTU output from this boiler as from your old boiler.
6). How well insulated is your home?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 4:49 pm

kptrombl wrote:I have the stoker dial at minimal feed and fan on high.
You should adjust the feed based on the amount of heat you need and adjust the air so the fire turns to ash right before the last set of airholes on the grate.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”