I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 1:23 pm

dcrane wrote:so the lil' Baltimore Heater your finding to be better, easier, more efficient than the Golden Bride? how about the differences in heat output of each (ability to heat your home?) You may have touched on it already but this thread is so crazy large its easier for me just to ask :cry:
In fact the Golden is a super ""little"" base burner. Having a 9.5" fire pot is a different "Learning Curve" than when having larger ones. Sometimes the anth tend to jam at the bottom of the magazine, not very often but sometimes. Probably not when no liner in and having the full 12" fire pot?
The grate system is better on the Golden than on the Sunny cause the outer ring prevent any bridging of the ash and the center prismatic ones do the center cleaning. Needs less shaking movements than the Sunny. (I plan some modif on the Sunny grate on the next shut-down :)
Both are very efficient but the small golden is sitting in a 10 X 16 F, so the best one for a so small place.
On the other side, the Baltimore Heater heats the rest of the house, almost 2,000 Sqf. very easily. In fact if I got the Sunny before the Golden, I wouldn't have buy the small one. The lil' Baltimore as you said is a very serious heater and can do a nice job, just needs a special installation and mine was exactly made for it, the Sunny loves that faux-foyer much more than the Vigll.

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 11:42 pm

I feel your pain nortcan, I'll take that Baltimore Heater off your hands. It would look great in my fireplace. :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 12:50 pm

BPatrick wrote:I feel your pain nortcan, I'll take that Baltimore Heater off your hands. It would look great in my fireplace. :D
I really appreciate you offer and I love my USA friends, so good peoples, always ready to help others.
But being a little ""maso"", I will keep my 2 base burner. :) :D :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi all. Just a few words about the Golden Bride.
Even with a real and cold Canadian Winter, I stoped the Golden on Feb. the 8th. The Sunny is a so strong burner makes burning both stove useless.
So I put a light bulb in the fire pot, but this year a red colored one and placed a metalic wire screen over the fire pot. Dumped a layer of cleaned anth over the screen. The bulb heat creates a nice anth burning effect plus some heat to keep the stove out of humidity.

Attachments

DSC06144.JPG
.JPG | 85KB | DSC06144.JPG
DSC06146.JPG
.JPG | 109.8KB | DSC06146.JPG

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:26 am

nortcan wrote:Hi all. Just a few words about the Golden Bride.
Even with a real and cold Canadian Winter, I stoped the Golden on Feb. the 8th. The Sunny is a so strong burner makes burning both stove useless.
So I put a light bulb in the fire pot, but this year a red colored one and placed a metalic wire screen over the fire pot. Dumped a layer of cleaned anth over the screen. The bulb heat creates a nice anth burning effect plus some heat to keep the stove out of humidity.
I like that idea, I put a bulb in mine last year but it lit up the room through the mica glass. The coal on top of the screen would keep a lot of that light in the stove. Great Idea!

Randy

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks Randy.
In the past I used to make a faux wood fire and with a yellow bulb. Not so bad but the anth burning from a red bulb is different :roll:

Attachments

DSC04336.JPG

faux wood fire

.JPG | 55.3KB | DSC04336.JPG
DSC04338.JPG
.JPG | 97.5KB | DSC04338.JPG
DSC06152.JPG

faux anth fire

.JPG | 100.3KB | DSC06152.JPG

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Fri. Apr. 04, 2014 1:47 am

Hi Nortcan,

I just finished reading through this thread. Let me say you have some awesome skills. Whether it be your home, or your stove everything is built so meticulously and with great care. I enjoyed reading about the various improvements you've made, and magazine experiments, along with the grate modifications, refractory, etc.

This off season, I will be making a new boiler room where the axeman is going to be. I plan to have an automatic ash auger, and some other nifty designs implemented in the boiler room itself. Hopefully it will be as good as the work I've seen throughout this site.

I read in another thread you weren't feeling too well. Hope you're better. All the best to you. 8-)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Apr. 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Vampiro. Thanks for the comments.
Sometimes just a small improvement can make a big difference. Anyway, I think that it's better to try something than do nothing :) . If it works well it's perfect, it it doesn't work, it's called expériences.
Since a few years, I feel just like a kid :D
Good luck with your project and keep us informed on it.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Hum, too warm up here to go for anth.
So the small Golden Bride runs on ecolo logs, a small fire at the morning and one at evening is enough to keep the house OK.
When getting colder, one of these days... the Sunnyside will heat the house alone.

Attachments

DSC06410.JPG
.JPG | 100.6KB | DSC06410.JPG

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 6:39 pm

nortcan wrote:Hum, too warm up here to go for anth.
So the small Golden Bride runs on ecolo logs, a small fire at the morning and one at evening is enough to keep the house OK.
When getting colder, one of these days... the Sunnyside will heat the house alone.
Do those eco logs soot up the mica on the stove?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Photog200 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Hum, too warm up here to go for anth.
Do those eco logs soot up the mica on the stove?
They will if you choke the stove too much but only at the end of the fire EX. if the MPD is too closed at the fire end.
But if you open it the micas stay clean. The small stove is in a so small room that the fire is never too small for it :D ....

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 9:45 pm

So, when is your next restoration job coming up? We are in need of some more restoration threads on here. We won't tell your wife, we can keep a secret.

Randy

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Oct. 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Photog200 wrote:So, when is your next restoration job coming up? We are in need of some more restoration threads on here. We won't tell your wife, we can keep a secret.

Randy
Will be restoring the master bed room soon but the wife wants to keep it secret :) :D :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Apr. 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Now the Golden Bride is equiped to burn wood during Spring and Fall evenings.
Actually the Sunny burns 4 lbs at 8 Am and 6 at 8 Pm so no rush to start a wood fire now but the bride, I mean the Golden Bride is ready to start wood burning.

Attachments

IMG_1030.JPG
.JPG | 99.1KB | IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

air deflector

.JPG | 103.7KB | IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG

air ""damper""

.JPG | 99.7KB | IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG

air ""warmer""

.JPG | 105KB | IMG_1033.JPG

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Apr. 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Nortcan, I have greatly admired the work you did on the Golden Bride, and have often wondered where the name came from, and tonight I might have thought of something. I was looking at the pics you posted and I do believe in the first picture, up high like they should be, she has breasts!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Jerry

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”