Harman Super Magnum Coal Stove + Thermostat

zags5274
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman super magnum stoker

Post by zags5274 » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Can I connect a digital thermostat to my Super Magnum Coal Stoker? I would like to replace the probe so I do not need to go downstairs all the time to turn the dial to my desire temperature at the time.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Yes, so long as it's not a millivolt style for gas appliances.

Your application is for 24 volt.

zags5274
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman super magnum stoker

Post by zags5274 » Mon. Oct. 20, 2014 1:05 pm

How would that work with the temperature dial on the stove? What would I set the dial at?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 6:24 pm

zags5274 wrote:How would that work with the temperature dial on the stove? What would I set the dial at?

Why don't you ask Harman and or a Harman dealer? The pellet stoves have similar controls and share components.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Just noticed this is a Super...my quote may not be accurate. :|
McGiever wrote:Yes, so long as it's not a millivolt style for gas appliances.

Your application is for 24 volt.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Yes they run a probe, I do not know how it behaves. It may just be a thermistor which establishes a reference, for other controls to behave by.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 12:33 pm

zags5274 wrote:Can I connect a digital thermostat to my Super Magnum Coal Stoker? I would like to replace the probe so I do not need to go downstairs all the time to turn the dial to my desire temperature at the time.
I dug this up from my files... the pellet stove uses the same probe and other components so maybe this will work.

l Harman pellet units can utilize a setback thermostat. The thermostat must be:

1. Millivolt compatible
2. Have gold contacts
3. be low voltage
4. be low current

Harman reccommends the following Honeywell units for this use:

RTH230B
RTH6300B

If there is a jumper between Rh and Rc, it must be removed from the terminal block of the thermostat. The thermostat must be connected in series with the room sensing probe using the Rh and W terminals of the thermostat. Except with the P38, which has no room sensing probe, the set-back thermostat MUSTbe used in conjunction with the room sensing probe.

there are two modes of operation as well:

Occupied Mode: (someones home)
Set the thermostat to its max temp setting. The stove room-sensing probe will control room temperature, so set the desired room temp on the stoves temp dial.

Unoccupied Mode: (noones home)
Program the thermostat to the desired set-back temp. When the thermostat opens (is satisfied) the stove will go into a 4-blink status. If the stove is a auto-ignite model and the auto/manual switch is in auto, the stove will shut down. When the thermostat closes (calls for heat) the 4-blink status will reset and the stove will ignite.
If the stove is a manual ignition model, or an auto-igniting unit with the selector switch set to manual, the stove will go into the 4-blink status when the thermostat opens (is satisfied) and the stove will go to a minimum burn and stay there until the thermostat closes (calls for heat). When the thermostat closes, the 4 blink status will reset automatically.

Consult your owners' manual for a description of the 4-blink status. This error occurs when the contril board senses the room sensing probe isnt connected or has failed. This happens with the thermostat in series, since when the thermostat opens (is satisfied), there is a loss of continuity in the room-sensing circuit. The 4 blink status automatically resets when the board recognizes the room-sensing probe has been reconnected (ie: when the thermostat closes and calls for heat).

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”