How Many Stoves on Just One Flue?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 7:12 am

J F Graham wrote:It really kills me as to the current "codes". I have an antiquated construction book that describes how to install multiple flue appliances in a single chimney. It just says " stagger the thimbles" . Now current codes, in most places restrict to only one appliance to one flue. Because of different gasses entering the same flue Will create a hazard. Now get this, several boiler makers sell multi fuel boilers/ furnaces. Try Newmac, yankee and several others!! Well I recently went to the local bldg. inspector, who is a very personal friend; And he could not explain the whys, and wherefores. It is apparently against code to run two appliances into one flue, but OK to run a multi fuel unit into it . ??????????? Oh did I fail to mention this book was circa 1981?
Just a bit of trivia From a very tired and old mason contractor.
Jim
A multifuel appliance only burns one fuel at a time in the one chimney which means no code violation. I have my bucket a day sitting next to and plumbed so it can also heat our oil boiler and a couple of upstairs radiators plus supply dhw from a separate 40 gallon water heater tank and plate type heat exchanger simultaneously. When I am using the bucket a day I disconnect the flue from the oil boiler and connect it to the B.A.D. When I want to use the oil boiler or I couldn't get to it in time and it goes out, I switch the flue back to the oil boiler and away we go.

There is a big difference between what will work and what the code says you have to do. Can you hook up multiple solid fuel appliances and they work? Sure can!!! Does it meet code? Nahhh nowhere close. Can you mix multiple units if they burn nat gas or propane? Yepper. Can you hook up multiple oil and gas units? Yepper... if you make sure the cross section of the chimney or flue can handle the fumes.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 8:01 am

My primary heat source is a Yukon Eagle I, multi-fuel hot air furnace.(oil-wood/coal) It vents through an 8" stove pipe into an 8" x 12" flue. This unit has 2 thermostats. One for the oil burner, one for the wood/coal fire. They say to set the oil thermostat 8-10* lower than the wood/coal thermostat. That cancels out both fires at the same time using the one vent. It works great. We set the oil thermostat for 60*. It has a R-C baro set at .03 on the manometer. It has been installed almost 10 years, and used 4 or 5 tanks of oil(275 gal.)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”