Keystoker Clean Out

sinistrafatboy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K-6

Post by sinistrafatboy » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 8:31 pm

After some help from this excellent forum last year my k6 keystoker is working like a champ ! Just ad a re-cap, this boiler is in a out building and heats my house, our DHW and our 35 x 50 dog boarding kennel. After last winter I think the next size larger boiler would be better, but for a craigslist find, i'm happy.
Now to my question, I had a couple of times of no heat last year due to the fact that the "pusher" was getting bogged up in coal residue that had built up in the hoppet/feed area. A cleaning was needed and all was well again. So, is thete a way to prevent this build-up or if not is there a method of cleaning without killing the fire? Also, whats your schedule for clean outs? Pounds used? Once a month?

Thanks

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 8:54 am

On some stoves, the build up is caused by overly wet coal. It makes the coal dust become a sort of slurry/paste. Then the heat from the burner mechanism can then dry our the slurry making it a stick to the pusher area.

I would use the "pounds used" method for a cleanout schedule. The heavier the use, the more coal was pushed through it, the more chance for build up. But some here do like to set a monthly schedule. Whatever works for you to get this clean. If you can sort of figure out how often it needs to be cleaned, set a schedule to clean it the week before. That way if something prevents the cleaning, you have a little wiggle room before it becomes necessary/imperative for it to be done.

Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”