Coal Prices on Long Island for 2014 ???

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ablumny » Tue. Sep. 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Completed my order for 4 of us on the block today with Bethlehem.
$286/ton, rice, pea and nut.... 4 stops on the block and we share the single drop delivery fee. I think she gets $291 for her less then 3 ton price. I've got no affiliation with them, just appreciate good consistent customer service.

AGSurfer11
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac - Baronet 720

Post by AGSurfer11 » Wed. Sep. 10, 2014 9:12 am

After looking over my "papers", seems like the price jump wasn't nearly as much as I thought. I believe I paid about $299 a ton last year for 2 tons of pea, plus $25 to deliver and a few bucks in taxes/fees. All said and done it was around $645 - so relatively speaking you could say there was little-to-no increase year-over-year. Can't be upset with that...

Eddie - This will be my third season burning coal. When I bought my house, it already had the stove and a bin full of coal, so I figured I would burn what was there, then convert over to wood ASAP. Well, after 1 season I realized how easy coal was and now I would never consider going to wood.

My full winter's coal supply takes up a 4ft x 4ft x 8ft space, which is a much much smaller space than a few cords of wood. As for work/time each week, coal is as easy as it gets. I go out to the bin on Saturday or Sunday during the winter (the nicer of the two), load up about 7 five-gallon buckets, line them up in the garage, and that is about it - 15 minutes. Past that, all I have to do is load coal in the hopper every 12-18 hours, shake it down once a day, empty the ash pans every other day.

Sounds like a lot, but I look at it this way. If I spend 15 minutes a day, that is a lot. And I save about $3k a year on oil costs. So if I told you I had a part time job that I work 1.75 hours a week for 8 months a year and get paid $3k, you would jump at the opportunity. Actually, since you just converted, seems like you already did. :D .

Welcome to the club, you'll enjoy it. Ask questions, the boards are FULL of information and there are lots of very knowledgeable experienced coal burners who are willing to help. And if you hate coal after a year, let me know and maybe I can buy your stove off you cause mine is getting old. (jk) ;)

Just wanted to add that getting coal here from PA probably costs an arm and a leg based on all the tolls. Think about how much it would cost you to drive there in your car. Now take that and multiply it by a bunch since tolls are usually collected by weight or # of axles. So while I'd love for coal to be "free", I am more than willing to pay about $600 a year (i.e. save $3500 a year) to heat my house the good old fashioned way.

DosDemiGod
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Post by DosDemiGod » Thu. Sep. 11, 2014 2:34 pm

tcalo wrote:
DosDemiGod wrote:Hello All, Is Rella still the only game in town for Long Island?
No, there are 2 dealers on the island. Rella Coal and Bethlehem Coal. I usually deal with Rella Coal since I live close by. They are very blunt and most get turned off by them. It took a few years before they warmed up to me (or maybe I just got used to them... :P ). I tried Bethlehem last season and didn't care for their operation. Numerous delivery cancellations. Rough delivery, ripped bags. They hired a landscaper to make the delivery??? I could honestly say I never had a problem with Rella. Fair price (For Long Island) and they always had whatever I needed. They have their own delivery truck, so no waiting. They have pallets of bagged coal sitting in their yard all wrapped up, Bethlehem fills their own bags so it took nearly 2 weeks before I could take delivery. This is my first year with bulk coal and Rella was on the ball. Smooth delivery! Not trying to bash or praise either company, just giving my opinion based on my experience. Good luck.

Heres my delivery: COAL BIN Pics

Here's a good thread on Long Island coal dealers: Long Island Coal - Bethlehem?
Thanks for you input. This is my third season with bulk. Rella is right around the corner from me. I just like to know if there are options. I agree the Mom can be kind of gruff. I just kill her with kindness and she loosens right up. I can see how this would annoy most (and really shouldnt be neccessary) but it takes all kinds I guess. The son Johnathan is a nice guy, at least in my dealings. In the end I went with the devil I know and ordered 3 tons bulk. I should have it next week. I also built a bin a few years ago.

Attachments

IMAG0927.jpg
.JPG | 67.9KB | IMAG0927.jpg

fishhead631
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC-2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: UGH! Oil burner.. Gets me sick just thinking about it.

Post by fishhead631 » Thu. Sep. 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Guys, Tks sincerely for all the input and direction..

DOS, I have the TLC2000 also, from your experience what size coal do you recommend for this stove?
Also getting jerked around from my Stove Company to connect it to my existing chimmeny through wall (black pipe from top of stove to wall). I just removed my wood stove so everything is right there. He's talking me into stainless steel instead of regular black stove pipe (????). Still waiting for an estimate ($$$$).
Tks in advance....
Eddie (Yaphank)

DosDemiGod
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Post by DosDemiGod » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 12:12 pm

fishhead631 wrote:Guys, Tks sincerely for all the input and direction..

DOS, I have the TLC2000 also, from your experience what size coal do you recommend for this stove?
Also getting jerked around from my Stove Company to connect it to my existing chimmeny through wall (black pipe from top of stove to wall). I just removed my wood stove so everything is right there. He's talking me into stainless steel instead of regular black stove pipe (????). Still waiting for an estimate ($$$$).
Tks in advance....
Eddie (Yaphank)
Hello Fishhead...

I use Nut coal. As far as the install, I have mine in a corner of the living room with a high ceiling and black pipe all the way up until it meets the ceiling. Then there is double wall stainless pipe the goes through to the roof. Your install is obviously different if your existing chimmeny is fine not sure why the installer would push for stainless other than to make some extra cash off the job. Who is doing the install?

I had Rella install mine. Johnathan was very nice and only installed what was needed. The job actually came in a little cheaper than the estimate. I hope if you are using them they are not trying to rip you off. What reason are they giving for the stainless?

I would call around and not spend the extra cash unless it is really needed. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

fishhead631
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC-2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: UGH! Oil burner.. Gets me sick just thinking about it.

Post by fishhead631 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 5:00 pm

I just received delivery of 2 tons (nut) from Rella Coal.... $657.00 includes Tax & Delivery.
What a pleasant experience!!! Extremely satisfied.
John (the driver) was a pleasure to deal with an quite a gentleman, actually sweeping the few loose nuts that excapted off the shoot..
Rella gained another customer..... :D

AGSurfer11
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac - Baronet 720

Post by AGSurfer11 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Right on FishHead! I got my coal from Rella last weekend, same deal. Always smooth, always easy. Stay warm!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Just a heads up from a former LI bay rat.

We don't pay any tax on coal up here. Are you guys aware that there's no NY state tax on coal ?
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718r.pdf

You might want to question if that is state tax that the coal dealer is charging and pocketing, or is it just local taxes your paying ?

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I took delivery from Rella back in June. Sunny Boy, there's a 2.5% residential fuel tax for Suffolk County. The politicians have to get their cut!!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 3:54 pm

tcalo wrote:I took delivery from Rella back in June. Sunny Boy, there's a 2.5% residential fuel tax for Suffolk County. The politicians have to get their cut!!!
Yeah, I hear ya. That's one part of living in Suffolk I don't miss !

Paul

CoalBin
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500
Other Heating: Wood Stove & Oil

Post by CoalBin » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Bethlehem 5 tons of rice $286/t + $30 delivery fee. Been with them for a number of years, I like the consistency of product. One of the many reasons I switched over to them - another being they are the 'nice guy/gal' :D

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”