Harman SF-250 - Can't Shake It Down Properly

drlyons
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska mk 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by drlyons » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a coal newbie and a newbie to these boards.

I was hoping you could help with a problem I have. In my finished basement, I have a 25 year old Harman SF-250. The problem is I can't get it to shake down the ashes properly. A fire lasts for 2 to 3 days top. The shaker handle is welded directly to the shaker block .... however, I don't think that's the problem.

It seems the grate link is loose. It is angled about 25 degrees toward the inside of the stove. I'm pretty sure it should be vertical. The handle seems to be moving the grates ok, but I am not getting rid of much ash at all when I shake it down. Anybody run into this? Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Dave
Laflin, PA

3000 sq. ft. log cabin

drlyons

Post by drlyons » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Sorry, I realized I posted this in the wrong topic area. My apologies!

Dave

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Drylons, welcome to the forum you picked the best ticket to get ya up & runnin. Now I'm no expert, by any means; but I do have a Harman sf-160, Which is the baby brother of yours. First, parts wear on any stove. When I went down to look at my grate system my grates were at about 45 degree angle when fully engaged. To check for wear, open ash pan door. Your grates have lobes on them that engage with actuator plate they should be pretty snug. If worn too much, it would restrict shaker action. If all of the above is working properly then your only problem is a poker. Ash builds and cakes around perimeter of firebox. You should poke and rake at least once a day so this ash can be broken up and allowed to get to ash pan.
PS: that 250 is one hell of a beast.
Jim.

EDIT: sorry for the confusion your 250 is a large radiant; where mine is a boiler. However both are hand fed and have very similar grate systems
Last edited by coalder on Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

drlyons

Post by drlyons » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 10:26 pm

J F Graham wrote:Drylons, welcome to the forum you picked the best ticket to get ya up & runnin. Now I'm no expert, by any means; but I do have a Harman sf-160, Which is the baby brother of yours. First, parts wear on any stove. When I went down to look at my grate system my grates were at about 45 degree angle when fully engaged. To check for wear, open ash pan door. Your grates have lobes on them that engage with actuator plate they should be pretty snug. If worn too much, it would restrict shaker action. If all of the above is working properly then your only problem is a poker. Ash builds and cakes around perimeter of firebox. You should poke and rake at least once a day so this ash can be broken up and allowed to get to ash pan.
PS: that 260 is one hell of a beast.
Jim
Thanks for the reply! I think the poker may be my problem. That and possibly the quality of my current coal. I'm going to remedy that and try another burn in the next couple days. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”