First Winter on My Own...HS Tarm Multi-Fuel Boiler..??

jsto72
Other Heating: HS Tarm Multi-Fuel Boiler

Post by jsto72 » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 6:15 am

I'm a newly divorced mom of three and need advice on how to tackle this first winter on my own. I have a (very old) HS Tarm Multi-Fuel Boiler that we use to heat the water, which also heats the house via baseboard radiators. I've been burning oil because it's just the easiest, less maintenance, but it's so expensive. We've used both coal and wood in the past. Wood is too high-maintenance. Coal has always worked well for us, and it allows us to keep the house at a very comfortable temperature. When we burned oil, it was so expensive, I never wanted to turn the thermostat up for fear of burning through it too fast.

I need to know where I can buy coal that will deliver to the Harleysville, PA area. I also need to know what kind of coal is the best to burn in my boiler (in the basement). I also have no idea how to figure out how much to order, and what size pieces. I would also like to know which type is the best...quality, efficiency, etc.

Thanks in advance....

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:24 am

You may want to give Lutz's Coal a call. I think they might also sell coal stoves, or at least they used to .They are located in Skippack, Pa . right on Rte. 73. He can probably get you off to a good start with the Tarm. There may be others around but this guy comes to mind as a reliable source. They have been there a long time. In addition : It is a MUST to make sure you are protected with Carbon Monoxide detectors as you begin the coal experience for yourself. Chimney and vent pipes been cleaned yet?? Good Luck. Mike

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:26 am

weren't we just talking about a" NEPA Task Force" ?

looks like a nice opportunity for some local guys to swing by and make us proud.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:34 am

j, welcome to the FORUM, ya got people from the FORUM close to H-ville that I'm sure would be willing to do an in person help ya out visit if you felt a need for that.

jsto72

Post by jsto72 » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:44 am

stovepipemike wrote: In addition : It is a MUST to make sure you are protected with Carbon Monoxide detectors as you begin the coal experience for yourself. Chimney and vent pipes been cleaned yet??

Yup, I have rental units right here on my property and one of my tenants works for a place that services furnaces....I just emailed him to schedule some furnace cleanings in the next couple of weeks. It's been a long time since mine has been serviced....long overdue. Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate the heads up on the place in Skippack...I'll definitely give them a call. And I would absolutely welcome in-home help....I just gotta watch how much I spend on service calls. I'm willing to barter...I own a canine boarding retreat and grooming salon...if ya got a dog, we can work something out! :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 7:47 am

j, as long as ya stay out of the political craziness here on the FORUM, this has become a pretty big extended family where everybody burns coal. It's not a business. Just people helping people :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 26, 2014 3:51 pm

j, any progress here?

jsto72

Post by jsto72 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 4:33 am

freetown fred wrote:j, as long as ya stay out of the political craziness here on the FORUM, this has become a pretty big extended family where everybody burns coal. It's not a business. Just people helping people :)
I thought I had responded to this, it obviously didn't go through...my apologies! I'm glad to hear you don't run things as a business on here. I love to help people....glad I found the right place! :)

No, no other real leads or answers yet. I was waiting until today to start calling the local companies to see if they can help. When we had gotten it before, my ex drove up to a place in Tamaqua with his dump trailer. He said he thinks he paid about $750-800 for 4 tons, and that we would burn about 3.5 per winter. I don't have a dump trailer to go pick it up with, so I'll have to look at having it delivered.

Not sure what size to get, and I understand there are different types? What's the best coal for the most reasonable price? Or do I just go with a reputable company and trust that they're getting quality coal?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 10:21 am

I personally burn BLASCHAK, but have also heard that the Skippack Co. is pretty reputable. If you remember whay your past coal looked like--this might help--hit --- popup

Attachments

Coal_Sizes  2.jpg
.JPG | 129.7KB | Coal_Sizes 2.jpg

jsto72

Post by jsto72 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Wow, that's very helpful. It was definitely nut sized. I'll look into the place in Skippack....I've heard from a number of people now that they're reputable.

Thanks!

Eb426
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Eb426 » Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 6:37 pm

i have purchased coal from lutz's. nice people. they had it bagged and bulk. I believe they deliver too. I have been doing the drive up to tamaqua though for the past 2 years. its just a little farther for me but cheaper. and I usually stop at cabelas on the way. when I did purchase coal from lutz's I was told it was blaschak. it burned good.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Is that TARM dual fuel? If so, check the target where the oil gun shoots. They are know to burn through and that is a bad thing.

jsto72

Post by jsto72 » Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Yeah, it's a multi-fuel. I'll definitely check on that. I'll have the guy who is coming to service it check it out.

My ex would drive up to Tamaqua, too...Cabela's is always a big draw for this family. :) I don't have access to the dump trailer he'd use, tho. I can imagine it's a lot cheaper than delivery, and I wouldn't mind hauling it, but without the proper trailer, that's kinda impossible.

jsto72

Post by jsto72 » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 7:32 am

I just called Lutz's in Schwenksville. I got a quote of $240/ton, $20 to deliver. Does this seem right? She didn't ask what size/type coal or anything.

The issue I'm having now is that I'm not sure they'll be able to use their dump truck to unload it into my basement, as the basement access is against the driveway and the driveway is only 15' wide and on an incline. It'd be great if they could shoot it directly into the bin I have down there for it, but I don't want schedule a delivery just for them to get here and not be able to get it where it needs to go. If they get here and can only dump it into a pile, I'd rather find someone with a truck and go get it myself.

Thoughts?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 7:43 am

Most likely they have an auger ,conveyor or chute to get it into the bin. call and ask , Im sure they get those questions all the time . :) youll be haulin ash in no time :woot:

waldo

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”