What a Porker

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Oct. 29, 2014 9:47 pm

66F in the house, 44 outside. Fired the old gal up. I ran it up to 450/200 and idled it back down. 71 in the house with a full belly glowin'!.

Black rocks rule, wood drools.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 5:40 am

I have a feeling that beast is going to amaze you even more when it gets colder outside ! ;)

Paul

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 2:38 pm

38 outside, windy, rain....pretty much crap weather.

Just prior to adding coal and a midday 'shake', JUST shy of 500 on the barrel, 150 on the stack and that's with a heavy dose of check damper. 74 in the house (40+ ft from the stove). What a riot.

I'll add this.....it's easier to run nut coal in it with colder temps and a bit of primary (a little bit more than idled down). It burn MUCH MUCH better with a mix of nut and stove coal, though, and still get good throttle response.

With the warmer temps and throttled down I was about ready to throw in the towel with straight nut coal. This stove REALLY likes the stove coal.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 2:42 pm

With the check damper shut for refuel, primaries at about half and secondary wide open I just had a BIG gust of wind and heard a whistle from the stove........if that leak won't suck smoke under normal conditions, do I bother to try to find it?. It sounded like the whistle was up high on the barrel?.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Damn the Sharpie ran dry, keep going, I am taking lots of notes.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 3:10 pm

May have been the top cover plate ?

When it's running with a well burning bed of coals, the check damper is closed, MPD fully open, primary open enough to keep a strong fire going, secondary fully closed. In other words, you want a strong draft on the stove from the top of the firepot level on up and out to the stack.

See if it whistles when you put it in and out of direct draft. You can listen better by using a piece of garden hose, or automotive heater hose held up to one ear. Pass the other end of the hose along seams, door openings, etc. The noise will only get loud as the end of the hose passes over where the leak is.

If you can't make it whistle again, using a piece of smoldering cotton string, hold it about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the stove, as you pass it over every seam, joint, and connection. See if the smoke gets drawn in anywhere other than the edges of doors, top cover plate, back pipe cover plate. If it does, mark it with caulk and keep going. After the test, you can try working some stove caulk into any areas that you find a leak.

Paul

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 3:32 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Damn the Sharpie ran dry, keep going, I am taking lots of notes.
Didja throw the corned beef in the pot yet?. :)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:May have been the top cover plate ?
It hasn't done it again since but that would be my guess. I was just impressed it whistled with both the primaries and secondaries opened.
The other guess I had was where the finial pivot pin goes through the top casting?.
When it's running with a well burning bed of coals, the check damper is closed, MPD fully open, primary open enough to keep a strong fire going, secondary fully closed. In other words, you want a strong draft on the stove from the top of the firepot level on up and out to the stack.

See if it whistles when you put it in and out of direct draft. You can listen better by using a piece of garden hose, or automotive heater hose held up to one ear. Pass the other end of the hose along seams, door openings, etc. The noise will only get loud as the end of the hose passes over where the leak is.

If you can't make it whistle again, using a piece of smoldering cotton string, hold it about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the stove, as you pass it over every seam, joint, and connection. See if the smoke gets drawn in anywhere other than the edges of doors, top cover plate, back pipe cover plate. If it does, mark it with caulk and keep going. After the test, you can try working some stove caulk into any areas that you find a leak.

Paul
Paul, that's the first thing I did when I fired it up on Charcoal back in July....I went around it with one of those smoldering stinky sticks women like. It was tight enough not to draw the smoke anywhere on the stove. Maybe the wind gust that caused the whistle was just a doozer?. It has NEVER whistled prior to this and it is particularly windy today.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Does outside temp effect how hot the stove can get. I'm assuming the colder it is outside the more draft. Is that right?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 7:11 am

Merc300d wrote:Does outside temp effect how hot the stove can get. I'm assuming the colder it is outside the more draft. Is that right?
Outside temps DO play a role in the performance of the stove but I don't know that a warm outside temp will lower the heat output....at least by much. The response time to primary air adjustments are where I have noticed a difference. Even when warm outside (mid 50's), I had no issue getting the stove to heat up with more heat output than I needed.

I am still giggling like a school kid over this stove and coal burning in general. I filled it last night, a light shake, let it get established and make my adjustments prior to going to bed (and mind you, it was very windy out last night). I wake up in the morning and it's still purring along right where I left it. I couldn't do that with the woodstove.....even if I got up in the middle of the night to feed it.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 9:16 am

I am giggling like a school kid and it's not even my stove. My consultant (dlj) is coming over tomorrow for some coffee and cheap cookies for advice as to which stove to connect next. I have a feeling he will tell me the #8 is too much. Porker indeed.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 11:43 am

Pancho, how does the spousal unit like the porker versus the wood burner?

Is she jealous of the attention you are giving it yet?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 11:56 am

titleist1 wrote:Pancho, how does the spousal unit like the porker versus the wood burner?

Is she jealous of the attention you are giving it yet?
Well, when we were using the woodburner, she was a trooper. She works at home and tended fire all day until I got home and did a good job. I took over when I got home and I did the nightly feedings.

With the coal.................................................we both sit around and chuckle how we don't have to do anything. SHE LOVES IT....I LOVES IT.....BEST PURCHASE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 11:58 am

coalnewbie wrote:I am giggling like a school kid and it's not even my stove. My consultant (dlj) is coming over tomorrow for some coffee and cheap cookies for advice as to which stove to connect next. I have a feeling he will tell me the #8 is too much. Porker indeed.
So, is your fleet of BB's on wheels so you can roll them in and out of service depending on weather/mood?.
Your place must sound like a roller rink. :P

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 12:05 pm

So, is your fleet of BB's on wheels so you can roll them in and out of service depending on weather/mood?.
100_0487.JPG

100 year old castors as used by stove shops.

.JPG | 126.6KB | 100_0487.JPG
Hmmmmmmm,, don't be silly, OTOH........ no way.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”