Badger Insulated Pipe Pex Quality

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Badger insulated pipe site has pex o2 barrier for $1.08 a foot (bare at that price uninsulated) for 1.5" ! I can't even find but one or two other vendors that have 02 barrier that diameter and they are around 3.50 to $5.00 a foot. Which leads me to ask - how are they so cheap? They make the tubing for outdoor wood boilers web site many on this site have recommended.

BHS is a PEX-B product.
This product has an oxygen barrier applied to the exterior of the pex which does not allow oxygen to penetrate the pex. This pex is used for in-floor heat applications under concrete. Pex-B is "cured" via the silane method. In this method cross-linking is performed in a secondary post-extrusion process, producing cross-links between a cross-linking agent. The process is accelarated with heat and moisture.
Pex-B can not be expanded.

coldinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old- green furnace
Coal Size/Type: nut mostly
Other Heating: pellet, wood

Post by coldinmaine » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 7:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing...i'm looking at the 1 1/4 pex al pex....same question

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm using an 80 foot run of there 2x1" OB with 2x3/4" NON OB, 3 wrap of insulation. I in stalled it in Feb. this year. So far no problems. I think some of the price differance could be the wrapped insulation vs. the spray in insulation that Central Boiler uses. I wasn't very concerned with the insulation, my install is clamped to the celing of my garage and goes into my basement, not outside. Mine was $391 for 100 feet. Local Central Boiler PEX was $1200 for 100 feet and that was only 2 pipe.

The Badger people were very nice to deal with and took the time to explain a lot of things to me.
YF1inchParts 011.JPG

Badger PEX

.JPG | 84.4KB | YF1inchParts 011.JPG
I also bought this nice heat exchanger from them.
YF1inchParts 008.JPG

Badger heat exchanger

.JPG | 146.7KB | YF1inchParts 008.JPG
I have no complaints about ther products and they are very nice to deal with.

-Don

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 9:33 pm

If you are burying it in the ground you will want to buy the best insulated stuff possible. Buy cheap stuff, bury it & then wish you had bought the good stuff will leave you wandering why as the yrs roll by. Or buy uninsulated & foam it in the ditch as Scottscoaled posted in another thread,i have no idea on the cost/foot, he did not say.

wnycoalier

Post by wnycoalier » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 10:34 pm

Well looks like I get to be the guinea pig for their inground install. I dug a 85' trench down around 3-4 feet. I got lucky in that I only hit about 15 feet of my nasty clay-rock mix. the next 36 feet will be through the uninsulated portion of the barn till it hits the shop.

Mikeeg02
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 8:14 am

They don't have it listed anymore on their site, but that's where I got my 5 wrapped 1" pex al pex from. The nice thing about pex al pex, is your getting true1" ID, which is almost the same as 1 1/4 regular pex, and they use a compression fitting, not the copper ring clamp type. The other benefit to pex al pex is it has a significantly lower thermal expansion rating then standard pex.

wnycoalier

Post by wnycoalier » Tue. Nov. 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Well here is the follow up. I can't comment on the quality. But they sent the wrong pipe, and when I called, they played the customer is always wrong card. Told me to take it nor leave it and that they would not correct the order. Gives me a sense they would probably honor their warranty in about the same fashion. What a insulting disappointment.

Mikeeg02

Post by Mikeeg02 » Tue. Nov. 11, 2014 4:29 pm

What did you order, and what did you get?

I remember when I ordered from them, I was extremely precise and double verified what I wanted was what I was ordering. $1k is a lot of money to have an issue with.

wnycoalier

Post by wnycoalier » Tue. Nov. 11, 2014 7:15 pm

I ordered o2barrier with a standard 1/2 blue line in the middle for feeding the boiler in the remote location. They put the line on top of the pallet separate. My guess is the clerk screwed up and is lying to cover her mistake. "No one here remembers talking to you about that." I had an obsessive compulsive conversation with her and she kept saying just order it and they will know to do it. I even emailed after the order went through to remind them. So now I'm stuck- I talk to another vendor and wait to place the stuff in the snow or let them get away with screwing up blaming me and telling me they won't take my business even if I want to wait.

Mikeeg02

Post by Mikeeg02 » Tue. Nov. 11, 2014 7:36 pm

The remote fill, does it need to be insulated? If it's not for sending hot water, you can probably pull it through the large diameter drain tile I think they call it. I know it's not how you wanted it, but it could still be salvaged. I made sure all of my details were in writing (emails). Because I was afraid the Price was too good to be true.

wnycoalier

Post by wnycoalier » Wed. Nov. 12, 2014 10:18 pm

The line needs residual heat off the lines to keep it from freezing on the trip above ground. I left a message for the owner to call me. I was ignored, makes me wonder if the stuff is even o2 barrier or what else they are doing to their customers.

nealkas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Looking at these.
Other Heating: Oil at present.

Post by nealkas » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 7:56 am

This is where sometimes using a credit card is actually better.
You may have a little more leverage.

"This is not what I ordered. This is not what I want.
I am not paying for this under any circumstances."

Best of luck for a good resolution.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 8:00 am

I've always dealt with freeheat.com out of Wisconsin in the past ,never had any issues with them.Purchased a bunch of stuff from supplyhouse.com recently & all was well with them too.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”