Fired up the Sterling Base Heater Tonight

skip
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 416A Baseburner , Columbian Joy A2 Baseburner Sterling Base Heater All-Fuel K-6
Coal Size/Type: Hard Coal, Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain

Post by skip » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Looks like it will be a little chilly for the next couple of nights here. Got the stove lite about two hours ago. I let it get going, had lots of blue ladies dancing for a while, but it has settled down now. Stove is in indirect draft mode, I have 378 on top of barrel and 167 on stove pipe 3 feet off the stove. The heat is rolling off this thing, wow! Our living room in our house is at 80 and momma is happy :D . I have the primaries both open about 1/8" and the secondary on the front closed. I have the "gas arrester" similar to a hot blast ring, half way open along the back. I also have the internal check damper a little less then 1/4" open as it is windy here tonight.

Very excited so far, hard not to stare at it and not wanting to mess with it like my old wood stove.

Stove pumping out heat
image.jpg
.JPG | 132.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 151.3KB | image.jpg

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Very nice, how about a shot of the Finial..

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Beautiful stove and hearth!
Randy

skip
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 416A Baseburner , Columbian Joy A2 Baseburner Sterling Base Heater All-Fuel K-6

Post by skip » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Thank you. Looks like I really will need to learn how to keep the stove tame, it is up to 82 in the house with some windowstats open :P . Here are a couple from my first thread about this stove.

Coal Stove for the Kanas Winter Sterling Base Heater
image.jpg
.JPG | 141.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 130.7KB | image.jpg

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 10:19 pm

These stoves need to be operated in base burner mode for most of the time. It will be a lot easier to control that way. I only operate mine in direct draft when loading the stove, shaking it and starting it up.
Try putting it in base burner mode and closing one of the primary dampers all the way and opening the other just a little bit.
Give it some over fire air as well.
It will soon drop to cruise at a much lower temperature. Don't worry, you will learn your stove by observation. You will be an expert in no time.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 4:15 am

Skip , stove runs as great as it looks. Nice.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 7:18 am

That's a pretty stove! I'm glad you got it going again!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 8:33 am

Beautiful stove and hearth.

skip

Post by skip » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 4:54 pm

William thanks for the advice, you deffinetly are the master of all things coal.

Sorry should have been more clear and said base burner mode instead of in-direct. Stove idled along all night at around 270 on the barrel once I followed your advice on the primary and secondary settings. I was impressed, I could make the blue ladies dance and disappear just by opening and closing the secondary on the door. I even had the blue "jets" off the back hot blast ring for a couple hours.

Today it is windy and 44 outside. Loaded the stove up around noon with nut coal and reset everything. Now It is cruising along at 212 at the top of the barrel and 112 on the stack. Some blue ladies are still dancing around. Only loaded about 60lbs of nut since yesterday afternoon and the ash pan has about an 1" of ash after my shake at noon.

I love the black rocks! I know everyone says it so I will too. Should have done this years ago!

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Soon you will appreciate the shear excellence of this stove's design and just its movie star figure. These stoves are masterpieces and you are going to cause quite a stir in your neighborhood once the word is out.

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 10:28 am

That sure is a pretty stove, and being located in Kansas, it's a rare bird. Where do you get your coal? Jerry

skip

Post by skip » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Jerry thank you, your stove looks like it will be impressive when done. I look forward to seeing pictures of it buring soon. I have used a couple of Amish dealers in Missiouri for my coal. I called Blaschak for a list of dealers around me. Since I travel to Des Moines, Omaha, and St. Louis for work, I am always looking for coal dealers. I have heard there is a bulk Hard coal dealer in Northern Iowa somewhere and one in Ames, Iowa. I plan to visit the Ames dealer soon. Not sure of any in Nebraska, will have to call Blaschak before I travel to Omaha again.

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 2:29 pm

The guy in Ames told me last week he had 6 pallets of Anthracite. I hope I can get some before it's gone.

skip

Post by skip » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 8:26 pm

That is good to know. I have 2400lbs of nut and 1200lbs of stove. Since I will be installing a Orbon Base Burner in my shop soon, I better look to get some more coal. Yes I will admit I now have two coal stoves :D. No I do not have a problem :lol:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Nope ! No problem. :D

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”