Is the Use of Coal for Home Heating on the Decline?

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 2:19 pm

DennisH wrote:Anthracite use not declining here in 'da U.P, eh? I just put the first of 325 bags of coal stored in my basement into my coal/wood furnace for this winter's use. Propane is now relegated to hot water, stove and dryer. :D :D
Wow that has to be an epic pile. 6.5 tons in the basement. How much do you burn a day? I have a client that lives in Marquette and tease him with 'If summer falls on a Wednesday do the kids get the day off school?'.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 5:14 pm

ddahlgren wrote:
DennisH wrote:Anthracite use not declining here in 'da U.P, eh? I just put the first of 325 bags of coal stored in my basement into my coal/wood furnace for this winter's use. Propane is now relegated to hot water, stove and dryer. :D :D
Wow that has to be an epic pile. 6.5 tons in the basement. How much do you burn a day? I have a client that lives in Marquette and tease him with 'If summer falls on a Wednesday do the kids get the day off school?'.
I don't know if it's "epic" but after last winter, when I went through over 250 bags of coal, I'm not taking any chances! I also burn wood, so we went through a LOT of fuel last winter. On really brutal cold days (when daily high doesn't exceed 10degF) I'll probably use 2-3 bags per day. Watch this winter be mild compared to last year!! In a "normal" winter I'll use two pallets of coal (120 bags) plus 2 cord of wood. Last year it was 4+ pallets and 3 cord of wood. Over double all around! :shock: :shock:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Today, in the U.S., less than three hundredths of one percent of the total energy provided by coal is directly used in residences (2006, U.S. Department of Energy).

bodee

Post by bodee » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 9:54 am

revtim wrote:I read a post somewhere on this site that said that the use of Anthracite is on the decline. Is this true? I am buying my first coal stoves right now for the old farm house we just bought in Michigan and as a result am so excited about the savings compared to wood, I am thinking of going into the coal stove and coal supply business. If there is a reason this is a declining market, it would probably be helpful for me to find this out now instead after investing more time and money on this project.

Any input would be appreciated.
Timothy
Well here in S Tier NY coal is on rise. There's really only propane and oil to heat (very country). Lots of people heat with coal, more every year.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 11:51 am

If ya want to make a reasonable living, you're good, if you're lookin for makin a killin, not so good! Lotsa competition:)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”