My Pocono Install... So Far.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Mon. Nov. 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Here are some pic's of my Pocono installed under the hood, where I used to have my Warm Morning hand fired stove:
That's the cold air return directly over the hood.

The "S" shaped duct over the hood is connected to the plenum over the "propain" furnace. I was never happy how that works. There are two muffin fans installed in the hood to push the heated stove air into the furnace plenum. The furnace blower pushes the air the wrong way when it turns on. I plan to change that. I'm going to remove the "S" duct & go straight up into the cold air return. I'm also going to add some extensions down from the hood to kinda enclose the area at the top of the Pocono.

I adjusted the barometric damper by guess-work, but I'm ordering a Dwyer manometer to check the draft also. I'm not confident that it is good enough, without checking it.

Lastly, I want to add a fan limit switch either above the Pocono inside the hood, in the connector to the cold air return or in the cold air return where the air enters from the hood. I've got to decide on the location & research exactly how to wire it to the furnace blower.

What do you all think?
Any advice or suggestions of what I could/should do different?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Nov. 17, 2014 10:36 pm

By no means am I am expert with stokers but your install looks GREAT to me!!! Congrats! :D

I am sure some seriously more qualified people will chime in soon as well!

ciao!
M

troyaa130
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by troyaa130 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 3:50 am

You could take the top plate off so the hot air isn't being directed down away from your hood. You would just want to try and make sure nothing would fall in to the back of it though.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove

Post by Protrucker » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 6:04 am

I thought about doing that, but the design of the Pocono seems to use the top plate to direct the air from the convection blowers across the top to heat the air as it passes over. To take advantage of that design, I plan to extend the sides of the hood to be lower than the top of the Pocono & have the front extension also bend back toward the Stove so that it catches the air from the convection blowers & turns it up toward the ducting.
More pic's to come....

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Protrucker wrote:I thought about doing that, but the design of the Pocono seems to use the top plate to direct the air from the convection blowers across the top to heat the air as it passes over. To take advantage of that design, I plan to extend the sides of the hood to be lower than the top of the Pocono & have the front extension also bend back toward the Stove so that it catches the air from the convection blowers & turns it up toward the ducting.
More pic's to come....
Have you looked at the heat jacket available for the Hyfire ?? Might give you some idea on how to get all that heat off the sides and into the ductwork. I don't know for sure and haven't check the dimensions of the Pocono vs. the Hyfire but if they are similar, you might want to get that jacket........

Rick

Protrucker

Post by Protrucker » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 7:57 pm

I had seen that Leisure Line offers a heat jacket for both the Hyfire & the Pocono. Being cheap & having a little bit of fabrication skills I prefer to make my own heat jacket. I tried to take another look at them on their web site to see how far the heat jacket extended down from the top. They seem to have updated the web site though & don't have the heat jacket showing any more.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 8:11 am

Check here: **Broken Link(s) Removed**

Scroll down the page and you will see a pic of the Hyfire jacket.

Basically all they are is 2 "U" shaped pieces of flat sheet screwed to the sides of the stove. The bottom remains open. Then a collector top plate is made to join the sides together. Then there is a hole cut in the top to attach ductwork to it. I had bought the 14" collector kit which also came with a 14" diameter inline fan.

If you need detailed pics of it, shoot me a PM and I'll take some pics of the individual pieces over the weekend.

Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”