Big Trouble in Little Hitzer

voodoochylde
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Modified Combustioneer 77b w/1000cfm blower
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Locke Warm Morning 818
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 55FA (not currently in operation)

Post by voodoochylde » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 7:16 pm

My better half (an arguable title right now) texted me asking how to revive a nearly dead fire in our Hitzer 55fa. I gave her detailed instructions, which reinforced my pre-season show and tell. About an hour later, she joyfully tells me that she successfully got the furnace back up to 400 from a low of 150.

I get home, she goes to work, I fix and serve dinner to the kids, and decide to creep to my dungeon to check on the Hitzer.

Things look ok but I decide to shake just a tiny bit to see how thoroughly she removed the ashes. This is where I begin to quickly realize that I have a situation.

The left side grate is clocked over 90 degrees. I couldn't shake this side so I poked from the top and half a firebox of beautiful, glowing, red coal goes happily trouncing into the ash pit.

Let me tell you, shoveling burning coals into a bucket and running them out to the water barrel is an experience I absolutely would like to never have again. CO monitor never alarmed but, boy, did I get light-headed breathing the gasses while hauling butt.

Fortunately, I don't think any damage occurred, despite the fact that the grate was positively glowing.

Should I re-train her or ban her? She's already pretty upset after I called and bawled her out...

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Sounds to me like you have a great lady there.

Ug

voodoochylde
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Modified Combustioneer 77b w/1000cfm blower
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Locke Warm Morning 818
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 55FA (not currently in operation)

Post by voodoochylde » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 7:33 pm

I do. She's a great mom, puts up with my crap, and can run the Warm Morning like a champ. A few hours ago I gladly would have shipped her to you :lol:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 10:25 pm

As for the fire, if that happens again put it out first with sand or something similar. Its not worth the CO risk, besides the fact you could start a fire if you drop coals.

At least she tried to do it. Many peoples spouses on here wont.

rstrawsburg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Trane Heatpump

Post by rstrawsburg » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 12:10 am

warminmn wrote:As for the fire, if that happens again put it out first with sand or something similar. Its not worth the CO risk, besides the fact you could start a fire if you drop coals.

At least she tried to do it. Many peoples spouses on here wont.
My better half handle the woodstove pretty well but she hasn't shown much interest in the Coal stove. She's happy with the lack of work and heat, heat, heat.

EPugs45
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace/Propane Stove

Post by EPugs45 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 10:53 am

We are the opposite I try to keep my husband away from the coal stove if I want it to keep going! I just use him for the hauling bags this year, I did that last year too but I seem to have broken my spine and am currently banned from such activity....BOO! The other day I was out late, asked him to tend, and came home to a full ash pan that he didn't think to empty, I had to have a discussion about air flow...I don't think he cared. After 12 years I'm sure my voice sounds like the adults do in Charlie Brown...whahhhahhwha whahaha whahahahwahh! :lol:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 4:48 pm

with all that air flow (90 degree grate) I'm sure in a couple of hours of burning that you could have shaken it back down. I've had it happen in my 503...just waited for the coal to burn. One goes "craaaap!" ....

I never give up until the stove itself dies ...

The problem with shaking a very hot grate is the possibility of damaging the grate .. so careful shaking is required.

Of course if you damage your grate then you have a short term problem (waiting for parts etc)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”