How Can I Increase My Hot Water Flow?

vegeta_ban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono bottom vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice is so nice
Other Heating: Oil, yuk on the price

Post by vegeta_ban » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi all,

A few weeks back my water pump died. It worked for about 17 years. I had the pump and the pressure tank replaced with new ones. My problem now is that my cold water has good pressure but my hot water pressure and flow isn't so good. I was told by the guy who replaced the pump & tank that flushing the hot water tank might help with the hot water flow and I even posted on here about the best way to do that. Thank you for the help!!! I did flush but the hot water still has lower flow. It unfortunately is an electric hot water tank that replaced an oil fired water tank about 3 & 1/2 years ago.

So are there any hints you can kindly pass on?

Thank you very much once again.

top top

Post by top top » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Often when replacing the tank & pressure switch the new settings, high/low trigger point, may be different which would cause the pressure in the house to be different. I assume this is a bladder tank, the preset air pressure should be checked against the pressure switch. I think it should be a couple pounds under the "low" setting for the switch, but verify that. But if your cold water flow and pressure is fine, I can only guess you have an obstruction in the hot water lines. Maybe exercise all the valves while the hot water is flowing upstairs might shake something loose. Otherwise I guess it becomes a process of elimination to find where it drops. Start at the outlet of the water heater & proceed from there.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Do you have poor hot water pressure at every fixture in the home?

Do you have good water pressure at the drain on the water heater?

vegeta_ban

Post by vegeta_ban » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 3:16 pm

top top wrote:Often when replacing the tank & pressure switch the new settings, high/low trigger point, may be different which would cause the pressure in the house to be different. I assume this is a bladder tank, the preset air pressure should be checked against the pressure switch. I think it should be a couple pounds under the "low" setting for the switch, but verify that. But if your cold water flow and pressure is fine, I can only guess you have an obstruction in the hot water lines. Maybe exercise all the valves while the hot water is flowing upstairs might shake something loose. Otherwise I guess it becomes a process of elimination to find where it drops. Start at the outlet of the water heater & proceed from there.
Thank you. I'm at work now will look into this when home.

vegeta_ban

Post by vegeta_ban » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:Do you have poor hot water pressure at every fixture in the home?

Do you have good water pressure at the drain on the water heater?
Thank you. I will double check every one again to make sure of my answer.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Could be with the new pump, it kicked up some silt and it got into all your water lines. The cold water pressure may also be lower but still OK.

I had a pump take a crapper on me :( - I installed a simple filter before I fired up the new pump...it did catch a small amount of debris..cleared up in 2-3 days.

Its possible that your heating element has "stuff" on it too. Fingers crossed !

My neighbor had a new water treatment tank put in for acidity - his installer hurried the job and got particulates all over his water system and his boiler took a crapper.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”