Oh Harman How I Love You...

EPugs45
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace/Propane Stove

Post by EPugs45 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Yep we are nice and toasty and I don't have to run my oil furnace the whole winter so I'd say pretty good! 8-)

scoobydoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by scoobydoo » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 12:20 pm

EPugs45 wrote:This is only our second year with the stove so I'm still a newb when it comes to coal. It's set in the fireplace and I don't have any thermometers on it currently. I have been trying to figure out where you would put them seeing as I don't really have pipe that is easy to reach / read thermometers. Can you put it directly on the stove? We replaced the gaskets and cleaned everything including the chimney and we just replaced all the piping. I don't have a manometer. I'm like the gym guy. I put coal in, I light coal, coal get hot lol. I burn about 40 lbs per 24 hours and it heats my whole house, that's about as far as my experience goes. That's what I love about this forum I'm always learning something. I doubt I'd be doing very well without these forums.
How about an Infrared thermometer?Just point and shoot.

EPugs45

Post by EPugs45 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 1:18 pm

oooohhh good idea Scoob I saw one of those in a flyer recently and thought that was a pretty great idea! :idea:

scoobydoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by scoobydoo » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 2:51 pm

EPugs45 wrote:oooohhh good idea Scoob I saw one of those in a flyer recently and thought that was a pretty great idea! :idea:
I have one and I like it.I have a brother that lives in Wallingford and we both went to high school in Clinton.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 3:50 pm

For the temps we are seeing today I would say your fire looks just fine! I had a mark 3 and when it was below 20-25 degrees with the wind just a blowin my fire looked about the same as yours. Ran that way for about 4 years, never had an issue. I got a good 16 hr burn average to boot. ;)

EPugs45

Post by EPugs45 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Small world Scooby, I actually grew up in Enfield which is up on the MA line, but my husband grew up here in Meriden. I worked in Wallingford up until this year when my spine decided it needed a rebuild, my BIL is also there!

EPugs45

Post by EPugs45 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Anthony, glad to know you had a similar look to your Harman, I think this stove is on about it's 10th year so going strong and steady, I am sure glad it's here because it really helps us with the heating costs!

EPugs45

Post by EPugs45 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 11:31 am

Just about 15 hours of burn time from Mr. Harman today! What a hard working guy.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 4:39 pm

EPugs45 wrote:Cats are surprising creatures haha, I often wonder what they are thinking but I assume it's not very nice! :lol: Well my stove is going strong despite my husband's poor tending last night, I didn't get home until almost midnight so he had to shake and add, he managed to keep it going, but I found a full ash pan when I went to tend the stove this morning, sloppy! Ha, that's okay it's still alive and well thank goodness, just not a very happy fire until I got it going. Thanks everyone for your suggestions I'm going to order a couple thermometers next and see what my temps are because now I'm just curious! Stay warm everyone! 8-)
Husband's poor tending? I'd blame the wife for that ~~ :lol: :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”