Chappee Add on Wood Boiler

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 6:26 pm

here you go... credits to Twainer of NepaCrossroads.com http://cemrweb.cemr.wvu.edu/~mathews/boiler/
original long thread about this boiler is here Chappee Hand Fired Boiler

also seems your all eventually look for one of these http://theboilerman.biz/ItemInfo.aspx?id=28 (just incase ;)

hope this helps you bro... I don't know alot about that unit but I am getting pretty quick at navigating this sight efficiently ;)

fastfred

Post by fastfred » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:55 am

Hi Kevin and Dennis - got the boiler running yesterday, burning wood. Works great! However I still didn't make it through the night without having to load it up again. Do you think those magical fairies that processed my wood will move the bags of coal into the basement for me???!!!

Thanks for your support!

Fred

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:24 am

Talk nice and offer beer and maybe. I have been running a wood boiler and tweaking my coal stoker since thu. night.God its cold up here. Coal is so easy that my old friend with the Chappee taught a girl to run it as she is staying in his house this winter.

fastfred

Post by fastfred » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Wow! If there's beer involved maybe I'll do it myself!

Where are you located? Here in central MA it's been around zero or below every night for the last week. Add in a 20 mph wind and it is a bit chilly...

Look481

Post by Look481 » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first time using the site. I was reading the posts about the Chappee boiler and thought someone might be able to help me. I think mine is 20 or so years old and it appears that the calorstat on it is not working. I don't know much about it as it was in my house when I bought it and there was no paperwork. I can only use it when i'm home since the calorstat does not work. I can not find a replacement for it although I did cross it over to a Honeywell manufactured part but it is nolonger available to order. I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 6:53 am

They are out there but harder to find the original. My friend got one from a plumbing buddy that worked fine. Someone will weigh in with the alternative I am sure. There was someone on here he dealt with but he wanted an arm and a leg and some more to boot. If need be, let me know with a PM and I will contact him to see what he got for his.

Kevin

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 8:06 am

fastfred

Post by fastfred » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Look481 - what you are looking for is a Samson 5D control. If you do a thorough search you might be able to find one cheaper, but this is what I found in juust a few seconds of looking around the internet:

http://www.boilerroomequipment.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=986

And I would like to thank Kevin and Dennis for encouraging me to switch my Chappee to coal. It's great! I started about a week ago, and after a few hic-ups in the beginning the coal is burning well. I think I was suffering from a lingering case of woodburneritis = feeling the need to constantly be doing SOMETHING to my stove. Leave it alone and it does great on its own. And now I'm getting sleep AND I wake up to a warm house!!!

Thanks again!
Fred

Look481

Post by Look481 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 10:38 am

Hello all, I ordered my Samson 5d draft control today. I got it from the boiler room $92 plus shipping. I want to thank you all for providing this forum and especially Fred for giving me the boiler room information. After I get my boiler working again I might want to discuss burning coal. I currently burn wood but some of you seem to be very pleased with coal.
Thanks again,

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 5:01 pm

And I would like to thank Kevin and Dennis for encouraging me to switch my Chappee to coal.
That is what makes this forum great. Pool of knowledge and people willing to share it. We have all benefited somehow from it.

Look481, if you try coal seriously, meaning trying long enough to get past the woodburneritis, you will never go back and that is a guarantee. ;)

Kevin

Look481

Post by Look481 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Just in case someone else needs one this replaces the Samson 5d regulator which is apparently discontinued. Its cheaper than what I paid and has free shipping.
http://ecomfort.com/esbe-ata-self-contained-therm ... 21691.html
I'll post again when I get mine working and we can discuss coal.

Thanks,

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Just do a search on the Chappee and you will find all the info you need to make it work. Then come in and ask specific questions. I have had people talk with my old business partner as he is still running one.
Can't help having some interest in your forum name. And fill in your location, as freetown fred says, no one is going to steal ya.

Kevin

bodee

Post by bodee » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 10:33 am

First time on here. What a time logging in. Man!!
So here my prob. Have A chaffee Bermuda boiler. Its hooked up in line to my oil broiler. Always over heated blew off in middle of night.. My nephew finally got it all rewired, all kinds test on, zones wouldn't open, once got really hot if rooms were warm ciculater on oil would shut down. It was a really mess. He got it all rewired work great. Bought this house in 95 finally got it working correctly.
Now my calotor auto draft is shot. I can pick the top knob right up there a 3/8 piece of white metal that is bent how that happened, maybe over heating had some really over heat probs. last few years. So my question is on the replace ment for the draft control that you have posted that whole unit screws into the boiler right?? Its not the top knob with the white metal on. Hope you understand. this as I'm in Southern tier NY and you cannot get anyone to work on it, just sell you new ones..
John
Cuba ,NY

bodee

Post by bodee » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 8:31 am

Look481 wrote:Just in case someone else needs one this replaces the Samson 5d regulator which is apparently discontinued. Its cheaper than what I paid and has free shipping.

Thanks,
Look 481, order the damper u recommended from comfort. Really had a hard time finding damper control for my Chaffee Bermuda. Finally got it working after many years last year (over heating) wired into oil boiler wrong. Not the damper takes a crap!! Finally found someone to work on coal boiler, most just want to sell you a new one..

John

bodee

Post by bodee » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 9:28 am

Look481 wrote:Just in case someone else needs one this replaces the Samson 5d regulator which is apparently discontinued. Its cheaper than what I paid and has free shipping.

Thanks,
Now they add shipping about $22.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”