1986 Dodge 360 Fuel Problems

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Time to trade it in for a Tesla .. no carburetor der !

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 9:05 pm

The old Dodge pickup will be a slightly better choice for hauling coal than a Telsa :)

top top

Post by top top » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 4:29 am

How about trading it for an Amish style horse drawn buggy? I have seen those commercials for the Amish Electric Fireplace, where they show them leaving the Amish factory in Lancaster County Pa two at a time perched on the back of a buggy. And they ship all over the country! It is down right amazing how fast those buggies can make deliveries a thousand miles away in just two days, and at such low cost considering they only haul two at a time. Here is a link to their amazing heaters, you can see them leaving the shipping dock two at a time on a horse drawn buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlA5l3kSHo4#t=90

Hey! You know what? If you just buy a couple of those Amazing Heat Surge Amish Electric Fireplaces you won't even need coal! The ad says they only use about as much electric as a coffeepot! I'll bet they make about as much heat as a coffeepot too! Simply Amazing how that Amazing Amish Thingamabob works!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 4:51 am

Please read Physics for Dummies again and then read Getting Blood out of a Stone. Buy a coal stove and sign on again.

top top

Post by top top » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 6:32 am

There are three kinds of people. Those that understand dry humor & those that don't.

Oh, by the way Cabinover, congratulations on getting the old girl running. I'm sure she will do a fine job for you.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 6:45 pm

You know it's funny, I have a well educated former Nurse friend that bought one of those Amish thingamajigs. She swore up and down it saved her money over oil. Haven't seen her in over a year but the next free minute I get I'm gonna stop in and see if she still thinks that way. :lol:

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 7:00 pm

cabinover,with the electric rates we have here electric is the lowest priced way to heat other than coal or wood.One of those heaters will save on heating if compared to oil & propain,but there are lower priced electric heaters that will do just as well without the high purchase price.If you were to fill the bed of your truck with those heaters or the Eden pure heaters you would spend a lot more $$ than if you fill it with coal.Time to load your truck with coal to give it a real world test.

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 7:31 am

I have seen plenty intelligent & educated people that just don't "get it". I just looked at my last electric bill & it worked out to about $014.7/kwh. So a 1,500 watt heater costs about $0.22/hour, and produces about 5,140 btu/hr. One gallon of propane run through a ventless space heater will produce the equivalent heat for about 18 hours. My last propane fill cost $2.47/gallon, the 1,500 watt electric heater would cost $3.94. So according to the new Common Core standards, which is more economical, $2.50 or $4.00 ? Of course neither is a good choice for primary heat, and the ventless propane could cause health issues after extended use. On the other hand, having to abandon your home when the power goes down isn't a good option either.

Many people see a savings with the Fake Amish Junk because they turn down the furnace & heat just the room they are in. Of course the $20 milkhouse heater from Tractor Supply will do the exact same job as the $300 electric FP and takes up a whole lot less space.

Oh, my current coal supply cost $155/ton delivered, less than $0.08/lb. I bought it in bulk and accounting for the time value of money would increase that a tad. With the lower efficiency rating of the rock burner, it would take about 8-9 lbs of coal to equal the one gallon propane example above. So the choice is $0.70 for coal, $2.50 for propane, $4.00 for electric, and that is for 5,140 BTU for 18 hours. Bump that up to 20,000 BTU for 24 hours/day for a full month and you are talking serious money. So of course according to Common Core the smart choice is,TA DA, electric.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 7:47 am

Nice work getting the Dodge back in action, I had a feeling it was a carb issue. Get yourself a can of Berryman's B12 gas treatment or something similar and add it to the tank with some fresh gas...run it every couple days to cycle the fresh fuel through the carb.

How long has it been since you drove something with a Q jet and the air cleaner lid flipped over? :D

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 9:17 am

Too, don't know if you have ethanol free gas where you are, but if you do do not use the ethanol stuff in that old system or all the plaque and crap now in the system will free up and migrate to your carb and youll be right back where you were :cry: I don't know how I know this ,,,,,,,,,,, :oops:
vroom, vroom,
waldo

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 9:24 am

top top, you have no location in your profile so it is hard to get a feel for what your area charges are in relation to where we are. Our electric is not as high as yours ,with electric there is no stack loss ,little maintenance but yes coal is a better choice . cabinover,load that bed with coal,flip the air cleaner lid & flush that toilet!!!!! I remember that sound from back in the 80's I had a 750 Q jet on my 1978 Dodge D150,flush that big toilet & it sounded like the roof was going to go down thru the carb,down side was the 9.5 avg mpg,still it was lots of fun. I had a hi-top topper on the bed,the trucks weight was balanced enough that I could do 4 wheel power slides thru the turns (on blacktop) on a road I was driving daily back then.That was fun back then , now there are too many others on the road & I do not care to drive much any more ! :idea: Try making a video of your truck going up a good grade with a good load of coal & flush that toilet,we can then pretend we are in the drivers seat :)

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 10:46 am

Windy, I'm down in Md. 100 years of crooked politics have resulted in my county having one of the highest electric rates in the country. We have a big dam here that makes a lot of juice, it was sold to Phila Electric then sold back to us with rates nearly double what people in Phila paid from the same provider. Back in the 70's there was an uprising by the people that resulted in our power coming from a different source at better rates. PE still owned the grid & the dam, after all the extra charges were added to pay PE for the distribution of this cheaper electric nothing really changed except the payee on the check we write each month. Of course our rates would be even higher now if our government had not saved us back then, they tell us. :roll:

When big storms wipe out power over a large area we are the first to be back on line. :o It just makes sense to work on the high profit area first.

It was 16 F on my back porch at 5am. A few minutes ago it was up to 30. Not nearly as cold as when I lived up in western NY, but quite a bit colder than when I lived in Texas.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”