Cookin' With Coal

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Paul, I was glad to be able to repay you for everything I have learned about cooking on these ranges. Paul has been cooking on these for longer than I have so his experience has been very helpful and I have learned a lot from him. I have been cooking since I was 12 when my Mom took a job. I cooked for the family for years and often thought about going to cooking school. (Photography won out on that). Long story short, I find cooking on these stoves a challenge and sometimes frustrating. However, when I am cooking on it, I feel like I have stepped back in time and I can genuinely feel like the cooks did back in the early 1900's. Nothing else will ever be able to do that...or at least until a time machine is invented.

Thanks Paul, now I want pizza! They look delicious and to think they did not cost $20.00 each.

Randy

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I don't know if this counts as cooking with coal but I have been making my soaps out in the auxiliary kitchen. I melt all of the fats and oils on the cook stove so I guess it is close enough. I make soaps to give away as Christmas gifts in gift baskets with homemade items. You have to start the soaps early because it takes 4 weeks for the soap to cure after you cut them into bars. I made two more batches today.

The first photo is the soap I just made and it is in a loaf mold. After it sits in that for 24 hours, you take it out and cut it into bars and put it on a drying rack to cure. The second photo shows the soap drying on the rack.

Randy

Attachments

IMG_0543[1].jpg
.JPG | 121.1KB | IMG_0543[1].jpg
IMG_0542[1].jpg
.JPG | 78.6KB | IMG_0542[1].jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Randy,

The soaps look great. Another good use of the range - hand made presents.

As you know, this thread has grown from just cookin' with coal to the many other uses for a coal range while it heats the house. I'm glad that it has, because I've learned a lot from it too.

As for making soap, or making soup, heat doesn't care if it's cooking food, drying clothes, heating a kettle to add moisture to the air, or just keeping the occupants warm. Wilson even uses his range for slowly drying out new firebricks under it.

There are a several members here who are actively looking to also get a working coal range. It'll be all the better when they can join in and share their experiences too.

I completely understand about the stepping back in time. This has been great rediscovering of just how useful these coal ranges were in the everyday lives of our ancestors. What we called "living history" in the museum field.

Paul

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Paul & Randy,i don't know if you 2 saw my last post(i was patting both of you on the back). Paul you just posted about the many ways for using a coal range/stove,we are also using our stove to dry clothes on a rack in front of it besides the heating & some cooking. Do you remember way back when 1 of you posted that "Wow,12 pages already",look at the page number now !! :)

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 6:12 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Paul & Randy, you guys are like a coal range encyclopedia on line. So much good info & data,i just wish we had a coal range so we could follow your steps right along. Someday... Meanwhile my wife is doing about 50% of the cooking on top of our Crane 404.between the 450-500* on the stove top & then the cast grill for simmering/warming it is working rather well.It is less convenient for her to work on a stove 25' away from the sink & kitchen counter but should help out the electric bill a bit. Nice looking pizza !!
Thanks Dave, I enjoy reading and posting here and have learned a lot myself. I certainly understand the challenge about cooking far away from the sink and kitchen. My stove was out in the detached garage, so I had to carry water and food out there to cook it and then carry it all back into the house. This past spring, I put a sink and hand pump for water out there. That has made a huge difference. I can now do the dishes out there without hauling water. Even with all of that work, I always loved cooking on that stove, and it was worth it. Once your wife gets use to it, it will become second nature and I am sure she will enjoy it. If you have Dutch ovens, you will even be able to bake on your stove. As time goes on, you will discover other ways to cook and bake on the Crane.

Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Dave,

It doesn't have to be a range,. . . that's still Cookin' with Coal in my book. Like I told you, what your doing is closer to the roots of what lead to the later development of the range type stoves. And, sorry if I made ya feel old again. :D

I only started this thread to show one aspect of coal use that I hadn't seen covered much on here. But, as far as stoves go, being able to cook on one was a major part of, and driving force in the design and development, of the stove industry.

Yeah, 12 pages - went fast ! It is a long thread, but these type stoves also have a long thread through our history.

Plus, it's fun because who doesn't like food ? :D

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Dave,

It doesn't have to be a range,. . . that's still Cookin' with Coal in my book. Like I told you, what your doing is closer to the roots of what lead to the later development of the range type stoves. And, sorry if I made ya feel old again. :D

I only started this thread to show one aspect of coal use that I hadn't seen covered much on here. But, as far as stoves go, being able to cook on one was a major part of, and driving force in the design and development, of the stove industry.

Yeah, 12 pages - went fast ! It is a long thread, but these type stoves also have a long thread through our history.

Paul
I try to avoid this thread because the pics will get me fat. :D
Speaking of, tis the season for peanut brittle. :)

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Pancho wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Dave,

Paul
I try to avoid this thread because the pics will get me fat. :D
Speaking of, tis the season for peanut brittle. :)
I like cashew brittle even better...Paul, can you talk Melissa into this too? :D

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 2:17 pm

My young friends went fowl hunting in New York near the St. Lawrence.

One of them brought me two fresh drake mallards.

Since I'm staying home today, I dressed out the breasts for the grill tomorrow. Saved the carcasses for stock, and am now braising four leg quarters with Chardonnay, garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme, red onion, and potatoes from my garden.

The inside of the "oven" is 350*

Pics attached.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 174KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 132.6KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 135.8KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 114KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 147.4KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 120.2KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 124.7KB | image.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Welcome to cooking on a coal stove. Glad you could duck in for a meal ! :D

Hey, if I didn't use that line somebody would have. :oops:

Looks and sounds like a terrific meal.

That Crawford makes that Dutch oven look like kid's toy. :shock: How big across is that top oven ?

If you can, I'd be interested to know what kind of oven temps your getting with the bonnet on.

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:37 pm

That's quite the compliment coming from the Yoda of ranges here on the forum!

That is/was Grammy's 7 inch Dutch oven, the stoves "oven" is 14 x 12.

*Added a pic.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 134.1KB | image.jpg
Last edited by scalabro on Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:38 pm

That does look awesome, and I am sure it will taste awesome. Low and slow will make those normally tough legs and thighs much more tender.

I got my bread and dinner rolls out of the cook stove oven and looks good. Made them a day early because of all of the other stuff I have to cook tomorrow.

Randy

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, are you cooking on the T giving meal on a range Randy?

Paul...about 350 with the lid on. It's a bit "fast", so I need to score a trivet!

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 7:56 pm

scalabro wrote:Thanks, are you cooking on the T giving meal on a range Randy?

Paul...about 350 with the lid on. It's a bit "fast", so I need to score a trivet!
I am cooking some of it on the range. My sister is cooking the turkey but I am cooking a ham, a squash casserole, bread and rolls. All will be cooked on the range.

Randy

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Photog200 wrote:
I like cashew brittle even better...Paul, can you talk Melissa into this too? :D
......I didn't know that existed......holy moly Paul.....cook it up and sell it like a drug dealer. Have ya got a little scale and some sniff-proof wrapping?.

:P

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”