It Won't Go Out!!!

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I intended on shutting down my VC 2310 during this warm spell and clean it out and do some gasket work. So yesterday morning I decided that I would just let it burn out. I closed the air inlet flapper and shut the MPD. I figured that it would go out in a couple of hours. Here I am 27 and a 1/2 hours later and it's still going. Granted the firebox is full of ash and the only glow left is a couple of chunks of Nut coal on the top but that counts.

The stove is still radiating heat. The living room is at 74 and the kitchen usually the coldest room is at 70. I figured it had to be pulling air from somewhere to keep going so I lit a stick of incense and went all around the stove. Yep I'm a child of the 60's and I always have sticks of incense around along with some peppermint candy and I'm innocent. Reminds me of a song from that era,,,,,incense, innocence, and peppermint candyyyy,,,,,,please excuse me,,,, I had a Strawberry Alarm Clock moment there.

There is one small spot about 1/2" in length where the ash door gasket was loose. It was pulling in the smoke there. It also pulled in some smoke at the top of the loading doors where a small section of gasket is loose. Those two areas I knew about and was why I was going to let it go out.

At this rate it will start getting cold again before I can clean it out, fix the gaskets and get it fired back up.

Such a problem to have ya know?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 6:38 am

Don't ya hate when that happens ? :D

I feel your pain Rev. The kitchen range refused to stall yesterday. Almost hit 70 here and it just kept going keeping the kettle hot and cooking meals.

Saddest part was, the cook baked a chocolate cake for someone retiring at work,..... and I'm not allowed to have any ! Think I'll go sulk down by the coal bin and stare at a winter's worth of heat. :D

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 7:29 am

Oh these babys have the right name don't they :lol:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 7:32 am

That's cool Rev! I had a low slow burn happening yesterday too. I haven't touched it since Sunday evening (passing 36 hours right about now).

I've never tried to force it out by starving. I don't think it would. Seems like even the tiniest amount of air can keep it milling along..

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 7:36 am

vOh these babys have the right name don't they :lol:
Time to hide in the coal pile and break out whatever is in the cooler. That was a great idea.

top top

Post by top top » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 8:21 am

I was going to let mine go out on Sunday, but it wouldn't. Then Sunday night it was a little cool & rain coming, so I dumped in a half bucket. It should have been less. Then on Monday I had to kill it, now how to do that. I figured I would just "do" all the "don't" stuff I have read on here. After poking & shaking, the fire was red hot. I opened the MPD, closed the draft control, opened the glass door & stirred the fire a good bit. Then I left the glass door open an inch so the stove only pulled "over the fire" air. It did not take long at all for the red glow to go away. Within an hour or so the fire was out & cooling. Today I will clean out as much ash as possible, then pull the center grate & dump the remaining coal into the ash pan, from there back into a bucket. I can use that coal again after I restart.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”