Fired up Pocono

sakrattack

Post by sakrattack » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 4:20 pm

I've had a pocono for 5 years and never used it until last night. I've had all sorts of problems, from installing it in the wrong place, to not being able to get the baro set correctly,, etc,, but I think I might be onto something.

Anyway, I have a powervent, and I've tried setting the baro with the weight on 4,, but no matter what speed I would put the powerventer it would be all over the place,, going up to -2,, all the way down to -.01, . but I finally tried something, I put the weight on the highest setting, closest to the top. Its on the right hand side, for a vertical pipe,, so when I did this, and then set the powervent to about 3/4 from the highest setting,, so a little closer to the lowest possible setting than halfway.

The manometer is solid at -.05. So I am happy I think.
Stove is in an unisulated basement. I cracked a basement window at the other end of the basement about an inch.
Coaltroal is in the same room as stove.. I set it for 72 degrees.
turned off my propane furnace.
I didn't think I would have much luck with keeping the house warm, but last night temp outside went to around 20, and the house stayed warm. I don't have any cold air returns dumping air into the basement.. I have plans for that , but for now all I am relying on is the basement stairs.
I didn't look at feed rates etc, but the stove really wasn't working all that hard. A lot closer to idle than anything else. Front of stove was 400.
I'm pretty excited, I pay 4 dollars a gallon for propane, and looking at the amount of coal I burned last night for a 20 degree night, its pretty frikin amazing.

anyway, just wanted to share that, and also post the pic of the baro. If anyone has any other ideas for improving my baro situation please chime in.

thanks,

Attachments

IMAG0335.jpg
.JPG | 53.3KB | IMAG0335.jpg

mike2142
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: leisure line
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by mike2142 » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 8:35 am

nor sure on barrow I got a Pocono to like it a lot my venter is lowest possible vents at .04 works good 4 bucks for propane hard to believe I pay 2.40 for my hot water feed rate min 4 max 35

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 pm

You mentioned the stove is in the basement.

Where do you have the power vent exiting the block wall ??

You should be able to dial that thing in with the rheostat on PV to work properly with the baro and get the readings lower.

Rick

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Rick 386 wrote:You mentioned the stove is in the basement.

Rick
Looks that way to me. I see the rheostat mounted right there.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Ed.A wrote:
Rick 386 wrote:You mentioned the stove is in the basement.

Rick
Looks that way to me. I see the rheostat mounted right there.
Ed.A,

Let me rephrase the question. What does the outside of the block wall look like where the power vent is located ??

Trying to see if there is possibly something impeding the air coming out of the power vent. Since the stove and PV are located in the basement, how and where does it exit the building wall ?? Normally you can adjust the PV to whatever speed you need to really dial in the requested draft.

Rick

sakrattack

Post by sakrattack » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies,, I don't have a picture right now of the outside wall, but its to code, about 1.5 feet off the ground. The problem I was having the first 2 days running the stove, is that everything runs fine, then after about 8 or so hours, I go into the basement and the baro is closed, and the mano is reading -.01,, and the powerventer is barely spinning. I move the baro a few times with my fingers and the powerventer comes back up to speed. I called LL and they said there is a tuning screw in the rheostat that can be adjusted, , they said they have seen this before where the rheostat dial is near the low rpm end it sometimes will "stick", , maybe thats a bad word to describe it, but they said to adjust the rheo and baro, then adjust the tuning screw so you hear the powervent speed up just a little, and the issue should not happen again. I took the rheo apart and honestly I did not see any screw,, I wish I took a picture because there is something in there that might be it, it just doesn't look like a conventional screw that I know of. Anyone know where this tuning screw is???

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”