WL 110 Does Not Seem to Keep Heat

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Have you talked to the guys at LL to get their input?
tmoyer345 wrote:Thanks for all the reply's, sorry for the slow response time and profile issues, I have a 2.5 year old son and a 10 month old son, free time is something I miss very much, will update profile at nap time.
I know the feeling. Takes a long time to get projects accomplished when you have to squeeze everything into "nap time".

tmoyer345
Stoker Coal Boiler: lesiure line WL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by tmoyer345 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Have talked to them before I bought boiler, have to say there is something about talking to the owner of the company that makes you want to buy there product. Was going to talk to them this week and get there input, figured I would ask the forum, 1 for getting use to useing the forum, and 2 sometimes the best advice you can get is from people that have gone through it

By the end of winter my 2.5 year old will be a coal burning expert. He likes to help and I want him to learn to use his hands no matter what path he takes

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 10:19 am

Your issues are just adjustment related. Most miss the max feed setting or just don't understand the adjustment process at first. First and most important ignore the comments that 12 gal is not enough capacity. It is plenty with the correct setup. I heat 3000sqft with one . It rarely hits a dump cycle maybe spring or fall it will count one a week or so for a few weeks I have a PLC counter setup.

You have to pay attention to the max feed and make sure hot coals are right to the edge of the grate without falling off when the aquastat calls for heat. Your idle fire is not to be adjusted with the feed screw. Once the MAX fire is set leave it alone . Don't touch it ever again. EVER!!!! If you have to, something else changed.

The idle is setup differently than a hot air unit or some other units. You are not trying to get the smallest bed of hot coals . You want to get about half a grate of red and a very short flame above them when idling . 7 min off and about 50 seconds on seems about right. The fire size is done with the rheostat for the combustion .

I never have to touch the settings on my boiler. I do my cleanings and fill with coal and empty ashes.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Flyer5 wrote:Your issues are just adjustment related. Most miss the max feed setting or just don't understand the adjustment process at first. First and most important ignore the comments that 12 gal is not enough capacity. It is plenty with the correct setup. I heat 3000sqft with one . It rarely hits a dump cycle maybe spring or fall it will count one a week or so for a few weeks I have a PLC counter setup.

You have to pay attention to the max feed and make sure hot coals are right to the edge of the grate without falling off when the aquastat calls for heat. Your idle fire is not to be adjusted with the feed screw. Once the MAX fire is set leave it alone . Don't touch it ever again. EVER!!!! If you have to, something else changed.

The idle is setup differently than a hot air unit or some other units. You are not trying to get the smallest bed of hot coals . You want to get about half a grate of red and a very short flame above them when idling . 7 min off and about 50 seconds on seems about right. The fire size is done with the rheostat for the combustion .

I never have to touch the settings on my boiler. I do my cleanings and fill with coal and empty ashes.
Is there a page in the manual that gives out all this?

With only 12 gallons, it's not that it is not enough capacity.
It is that it just erases a lot of common wisdom that most everyone would use to help a newbie get things resolved as to out-fires and hitting the dump. :)

tmoyer345

Post by tmoyer345 » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 12:42 pm

It was in the instruc tions for most part, most of my issues were 100 perceent self caused, being new to this is I will be first to admit, got rather confussed, was trying to get exactley 1/3" ash on grate, overall extremley happy with boiler. I have read daves post well before even buying the boiler so I now iy is capable of doing the job, just need to figure out best settings

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 12:55 pm

tmoyer345 wrote:It was in the instruc tions for most part, most of my issues were 100 perceent self caused, being new to this is I will be first to admit, got rather confussed, was trying to get exactley 1/3" ash on grate, overall extremley happy with boiler. I have read daves post well before even buying the boiler so I now iy is capable of doing the job, just need to figure out best settings
1/3"...is this a typo?

Thought Dave above was saying 1/2 (one half) the length of the grate for idle.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 1:11 pm

McGiever wrote:
tmoyer345 wrote:It was in the instruc tions for most part, most of my issues were 100 perceent self caused, being new to this is I will be first to admit, got rather confussed, was trying to get exactley 1/3" ash on grate, overall extremley happy with boiler. I have read daves post well before even buying the boiler so I now iy is capable of doing the job, just need to figure out best settings
1/3"...is this a typo?

Thought Dave above was saying 1/2 (one half) the length of the grate for idle.
It's been handled by the pro. Let it go. ;)

tmoyer345

Post by tmoyer345 » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 1:31 pm

1/2" sorry hands frozen

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Mon. Dec. 08, 2014 4:34 pm

tmoyer345 wrote:1/2" sorry hands frozen
Quit yer whining !!!!!!!! :P :roll:

I'm in Schwenksville if you need help. I sent you a PM with my phone number if you want to talk

Rick

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Wed. Dec. 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Ok, I'm going to add my two cents here. :)

I run a very high mass system, and have tried a variety of methods in order to keep the temperature in the house from yo-yo-ing in cold weather.

My suggestion, based on trial and error, is getting a tstat that has a 0.5deg differential.

The coal boiler doesn't short cycle like an oil boiler, so essentially, I use the smaller temp differential like an extended idle fire circuit. With a smaller differential you are constantly providing hot water to the in-home radiation (during the real cold spells). My tstat will click on and off several times over 1/2 hour, until the water temp gets high enough to fix the house temp for more then a few minutes.

Which is fine by me.

My second favorite option is to hook up the other boiler to the system, which prevents shock all the time. However, two things: 1) this boiler doesn't 'shock', per se, and 2) I end up heating a lot more water that way.

Mixing valves would probably work great, but involve another round of plumbing which I just am not going to do anytime soon.

There is no reason, none, not one, not a single solitary good reason why a home with baseboard fin and tube can't use the WL 110 for heating if I can get it to heat my 1920's era radiators (all 50 some gallons of mass in them) in a house that is not all that well insulated.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 10, 2014 8:57 pm

So.... just to be clear, is that a 1/2 inch, 1/3 inch or 1/2 the grate length. There still seems to be some confusion there... maybe this is the root of the problem.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Dec. 10, 2014 9:10 pm

You want about 1/2 inch ash when running full out call for heat. With big tall flames. When idling you want between 1/3 to 1/2 grate of red hot coal but a very short flame above the coals. Maybe 1-2 inches high.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Dec. 15, 2014 4:56 am

If you are still having trouble, my personal cell number is in the back of the manual, I'll be glad to help you sort it out. :)

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Dec. 15, 2014 6:48 am

Two LL reps offering help. Where did he go?

tmoyer345

Post by tmoyer345 » Mon. Dec. 15, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks matthaus, will proubly be giveing u a call later in week have it dialed in a little better makeing slow tweeks every night. Have been working 7days a week, with the hoildays and two boys under 3 years of age I have chossen a little bit of sleep over updateing till it slows down later this week, thank u all for ur help

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”