New Chubby Vs Old Man Winter.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 1:31 am

Have fought this among other pipe related problems ( not Chubby). I find that its not what you call "burnt out", its just not "Burnt Up" You have half burnt chunks, or some call them clinkers. Air, finds the easy way up through coal, If you get to aggressive "upwards" with the poker, you can make an air pocket that will soon loose its oxygen and if no escape, no burn, then some ash fills in and thats a dead spot. Increasing the temp of the Chubby slight;y may help along with less aggressive poking. Good luck!!

Nordillaca
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by Nordillaca » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Hmmm I'll watch out for that too. I restarted it last night around 12am. Had to go outside find some wood and split it. That was fun! Anyway before I left for work this afternoon I shook it down. gave each grate 1 pass put coal up to the firepot and then poked upwards to get some air in there. I'll see how this works out and get back to you.

From what you guys are saying I am wondering if I am getting less burn time because of my trying to clean out the grates to aggressively. Anyway I'll see how it looks when I get home tonight. If everything looks like its burning evenly this mightbe what I was doing wrong.

Appreciate the help.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 1:29 am

I was having some problems like yours. I found them draft related. Once I got rid of the 18" horizontal pipe through wall ,in my system ( now 12) and added 4 ft to the chimney ( Duravent Plus) My Draft has nearly doubled, and my Chubby is a rear vent, not a top vent like yours. Now I have finally reached the smooth sailing of Coal burning. The coal burns even and and completely. I am expecting more 12 + hour burns. Now I can put the MPD closed, and keep the draft at about 1/4 inch on the right and 1/8th on the left. ( same lever but the slots are not equal). I removed my baro to help at first, I may be able to reinstall now at some point. Im looking at about 18lbs a day at 350 degrees stove temp ( when full).
This was frustrating have my stove either over fire, or burn out. Now I can take my little kindling pile back to the shed!!
I WILL get a Chubby like yours for next season...I want the top vent and a blower.
Hope yours is running better now Nordillaca..., Bruce

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”