Coal Quiz

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I was hoping this title would intrigue more members to participate. There is a wealth of information on this forum, and these questions probably have already been asked, (and answered), by maybe members who don't exist anymore. I've tried looking these questions up in different areas, such as the "most favorite topics" columns, but can't seem to find them. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers, but was hoping for a discussion on a few of these. Mainly, the purpose of this thread is to shed some light on "basic" coal burning phenomenons.
#1 Given a specific stove, (or furnace), if 50lbs of coal is burned, the same amount of ash will accumulate at a low heat, or slow burn, as it would burning higher or hotter. (T) true (F) false (D) depends.
#2 An efficient stove/furnace will produce the same amount of ash, as an inefficient stove, given the same amount of coal burned (T. F. D.)
#3 Anthracite coal ash will differ amongst varying brands, in weight, texture, and consistency, while burning in a specific stove/furnace. ( T. F. D.)
#4 Older turn of the century Base heaters, make less ash per pound, than a modern furnace. (T. F. D.)
If you haven't noticed, the main theme is, what stoves makes the least amount of ash, and at what temperatures do they operate best at for the same reason. And basically, does more ash mean a better or worse stove or coal?

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 5:43 pm

we ned more members I agree and have burnt wood I cut from logging contractors to very shitty west virginia coal to the best kentucky coal etc!!! each stove /chimney .houser is all dif, but I enjoy working with all am 90% coal now and will not go back !!!!!!!!!!!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 5:57 pm

What a great idea Joe! I'd like to share my thoughts on your quiz. Keep in mind these are just my opinion, I don't know them to be fact, just what I've learned thru observation..
joeq wrote:#1 Given a specific stove, (or furnace), if 50lbs of coal is burned, the same amount of ash will accumulate at a low heat, or slow burn, as it would burning higher or hotter. (T) true (F) false (D) depends.
It seems to me that during the shoulder months I see more powder like ash with hardly any chunks or unburned coal than I do later in the season when I run the furnace harder. It's possible that I shake with more aggression during hotter burns since I want to rid the fuel bed of all the ash I can, so in that process I loose some unburned into the ash pan. My answer would be "depends" since I think the shaker system has a lot to do with it. Theoretically though the answer should be "true".
joeq wrote:#2 An efficient stove/furnace will produce the same amount of ash, as an inefficient stove, given the same amount of coal burned (T. F. D.)
gonna say true..
joeq wrote:#3 Anthracite coal ash will differ amongst varying brands, in weight, texture, and consistency, while burning in a specific stove/furnace. ( T. F. D.)
I think we all can agree this is true.. :)
joeq wrote:#4 Older turn of the century Base heaters, make less ash per pound, than a modern furnace. (T. F. D.)
I'm gonna say false.. (because of answer #2) or it depends, since it depends on the shaker system not to allow unburned to fall into the ash pan..

Like I said, these are my own personal opinions,
I'm excited to see what others think.. :D

As you can see, my answers are more about the coal than the stoves it is burned in. I see coal as a very stable fuel that only burns at a rate that is determined by the amount of oxygen its given. Unlike other fuels (propain - gasoline - oil - wood pellets - wood) where its more the other way around.

Ash content is a given variable depending on the location its mined from. Most ant coal is 10% ash. I've measured mine to be between 12-14% since it depends on how much I lose into the ash pan due to shaking.
8-)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 6:28 pm

thanx for your opinions Lee, and what I take from them, is that better stoves dictate how much heat they'll produce, yet the ash content is something that we basically haven't got much control of. I like your explanation of more ash, due to more aggressive shaking. I can "dig" it. :D
So your answers would go from 1 to 4 as "T, T, T, F". If you're correct in saying that ant coal is 10% ash, all the questions come together. It's there, and we just have to live with it. (Bummer).

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”