Coalbrookdale Darby

Liz570
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut

Post by Liz570 » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 6:44 pm

"The only way your going to know your draft number and if it is too strong or not is to measure it."

I agree. Now to convince hubby that it's worth it.

Now here's a strange inquiry: Does any one burn paper ( junk mail etc.) in their coal stoves? I don't mean to start a fire, I mean as a 'shredder' to get rid of unwanted mail?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 6:53 pm

We lit our first fire in our stove using mostly paper & cardboard with just a few pieces of wood thrown in,it made for a rip roaring fire Quickly. We have tried to burn some privacy papers & such since but can only throw a few in at a time. When we had our outdoor wood burner we burned ALL our non-glossy paper & cardboard in it.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Liz,
Only when it's time to do the tax returns !!!!

Liz570

Post by Liz570 » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 7:16 pm

So should I assume that this means throwing junk mail into the coal stove is or is not ok? We are ( I am) trying to curb what I consider a bad habit here and I was hoping you would agree that it's not a very good idea. Paper burning should be done elsewhere & not in the coal stove..... but really, are there any negative consequences that could occur ( besides driving me crazy)? ( Hubby would say it's only a putt.) :lol:
I promise not to drag anyone one into this debate after this post. I will accept your opinions.
Thanks.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 7:44 pm

I do not know if it will harm anything. We have re-cycling, with the trash pick up, so we use a shredder. (except at tax time!)
Cheers

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 7:53 pm

We don't burn all the "junk mail" like catalogs, AARP or Ducks Unlimited membership offers, etc., in the coal range, but we do burn all papers that could give vital info. Such as, bank related and credit card "junk mail" such as those credit card cash advance checks. Even credit card offers that could be taken out in your name if someone got hold of them. And other personal mail and notes that we don't want to store.

In ten years of running this coal range, no parts have clogged, or fallen off, but we have gotten quite a few more BTU's courtesy of the USPS. ;)

Paul

Liz570

Post by Liz570 » Wed. Dec. 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks Paul, I shall say no more about hubby's disposal of paperwork. It really wasn't all that much. Mostly personal mail & credit card offers. I appreciate hearing that no damage will occur. :)

Liz570

Post by Liz570 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Strange inquiry # 2: I have been smelling coal gas(?) Is it normal or harmful when loading the stove?
The stove has been doing beautifully. I am so grateful to have the forum to check things out. Thank you all.
Liz

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Damp or wet coal will have a foul smell, but generally you shouldn't be smelling anything , is your MPD open all the way when loading? What's your CO DETECTOR doing? Is it digital or just a beep and run! Some of the free coal I have gotten in the past off craigslist had some high sulphur smell to it even when dry and would flame yellow .

Liz570

Post by Liz570 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Shawn, I noticed that the last 2 times I loaded the stove that it was flaming yellow. A bit scarey as there was high heat output. Once the coal was loaded and the doors closed the temps seem to stabilize. I can see where a run away fire could occur if too much air was present. I also wondered if perhaps I shook the ashes too much? or waited too long to refuel. regardless as soon as the stove was closed all was well. The MPD is open while loading.

Liz570

Post by Liz570 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 8:04 pm

I forgot to mention the Co detector has done nothing. Where should it be located? We put it upstairs near the bedrooms based of recommendations on packaging. It's not digital that I am aware of.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Sometimes when your loading and the coal is doing it's snap, crackle, and pop thing those sudden pops are burning coal gas. They can expand a bit faster then the stack can handle even with an opened MPD. Try opening the MPD and the primary air for a bit longer to let the fire build up more draft before opening the doors to load fresh coal.

And try closing the primary air while you have the doors open to load. That way the draft will pull more air over the fire and lessen the chance of coal gas smell getting back into the room.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Liz570 wrote:I forgot to mention the Co detector has done nothing. Where should it be located? We put it upstairs near the bedrooms based of recommendations on packaging. It's not digital that I am aware of.
That's good. Also having one on the first floor makes it even better.

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Liz570 wrote:Shawn, I noticed that the last 2 times I loaded the stove that it was flaming yellow. A bit scarey as there was high heat output. Once the coal was loaded and the doors closed the temps seem to stabilize. I can see where a run away fire could occur if too much air was present. I also wondered if perhaps I shook the ashes too much? or waited too long to refuel. regardless as soon as the stove was closed all was well. The MPD is open while loading.
If you can, try some coal from another source. Yellow flames are little bits of carbon that reach ignition temperature and then ignite when air reaches them. Like smoke in a wood fire. Normally the carbon is contained in a gas that gets air and only then reaches ignition temperature and burns blue. That seems more like a soft coal that has a much higher percentage of volatiles. If the coal is not well washed little dust like pieces cling to it, but burn usually with more of an orange blue flame.

You should not get any smell if draft is strong enough. Maybe only open one door at a time because to get smell some of the gas is not being exhausted quickly enough and reaches your nose. If flame seems excessive, try loading a smaller batch and then another when flame subsides.

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Thu. Dec. 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Liz , as Paul said Definitely buy a second Co detector I've often seen it suggested to use a different brand than your first unit! Co should be within 10' of the stove , it sucks having to spend an extra 30-50 bucks , but you can't breathe money! Coal stoves are super safe I don't want to scare you, but with warm spells it's very easy to lose some draft!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”