Used Stove Coal Today in the Crawford40, What a Difference

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Sat. Dec. 20, 2014 2:33 pm

I bought fifteen fifty pound bags of Kimmel's stove coal today for $78.00. That's a real buy in this part of the world. The bags were deteriorated and the guy wanted to move the remnant pallet along so he loaded me up and I went happily on my way. Haven't tried stove size yet but I am excited to see how it goes.

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 11:16 am

Does this look like stove coal? Big as a baseball.

Attachments

DSC02041.JPG
.JPG | 135.5KB | DSC02041.JPG

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 11:26 am

Egg coal is the size of a softball, stove is the size of a baseball, nut is the size of a golf ball.

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 11:40 am

Starting Out wrote:Egg coal is the size of a softball, stove is the size of a baseball, nut is the size of a golf ball.
Thanks for that. I had no idea it was that big, no wonder the guy asked me if I was sure I wanted stove coal. I'll blend some nut in with it.

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 11:18 am

In your stoves, almost all sizes of coal will work. I say almost all because there's always something. In my case, any coal will burn in a base heater but the type of grates make certain sizes more practical. Anything smaller than nut wants to fall through the grates unless I'm careful when shaking the stove down. I've run out of stove coal and ran pea coal through the stove for a couple of weeks in warmer weather. I didn't shake it down as much as the ash kept the smaller coal from coming through the grates and I didn't want the stoves to run too hot. If you can, try stove as it will only run as hot as you give it air, but because of it's size, the flames and the way it reacts is truly unique. My firepot on the Crawford 40's is huge and because of the depth the stove, stove coal actually works better. If my grates were smaller, I'd be able to burn nut coal easier as the smaller nut pieces fall through and the larger ones don't .

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 11:45 am

I loaded her up with stove coal last night before I went to work. After a twelve hour shift, I came home to a fire that would probably have given me another twelve hours. I should have left it alone. I added more coal, gave it a shake and it's struggling to take off again.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”