Wondering About a Coal Boiler!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 9:28 am

CNY Farmer wrote:Now I'm more confused than I was before :D The exchanger is 3/4" so... I guess I will leave it and neck down after coming out of the boiler.. :D :)
NO, run the 1" from the boiler all the way to the H/X, then reduce it to 3/4" and keep your H/X..

YOU DO NOT NEED TO MATCH THE SAME SIZE PIPE AS THE H/X...best to get to destination, then neck down.

The 1" will help reduce LOSSES of pipe friction/flow over the distance and with the turns/bends in piping.

A 3/4" would be effectivly reduced to like a 1/2"...don't do it. :sick:

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 10:40 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:Scott,we are all waiting .
Easy killer! Working night shift till 4 am sometimes doesn't give you the instant reply that an "expert" demands :lol:

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 10:56 am

CNY Farmer wrote:
Scottscoaled wrote:Unlike what the expert says, it's been my experience that K-8"s are pretty heavy and don't slide down planks. Even at a steep angle. A couple pieces of 1 1/4" rigid pipe will let you "slip" that baby down any plank with ease. I would suggest using good 2 x 12's as the boiler will shift to one side or the other once in a while. You might have problems anyway with the height of the boiler hitting the header coming down the stairs. Be sure to measure for clearance after the planks are set. Good luck. If you need a hand, I have time to help.
Wow Scott thats quite an offer :shock: Do you know how far away from where you live to where I do???? :shock: :shock: It's laying down on a pallet now.Think it would be ok to leave it on that and take it down the pipe that way???
Not really a big deal to stop by. I have friends over by you that have been inviting me over for lunch. They are in South Otselic and Cinncinatus. Are you close by there?

A couple pictures would allow us give a little more accurate "help". Being there isn't overated. It is a big job to get that 1000 lb. beast in the basement. If The timing is right, I can get that in the basement for you without a big fuss. It would get you into the "Coal Association" with out a major drama.

CNY Farmer
Stoker Coal Boiler: Soon to be Keystoker K-8

Post by CNY Farmer » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Scottscoaled wrote:[quote="

Wow Scott thats quite an offer :shock: Do you know how far away from where you live to where I do???? :shock: :shock: It's laying down on a pallet now.Think it would be ok to leave it on that and take it down the pipe that way???
Not really a big deal to stop by. I have friends over by you that have been inviting me over for lunch. They are in South Otselic and Cinncinatus. Are you close by there?

A couple pictures would allow us give a little more accurate "help". Being there isn't overated. It is a big job to get that 1000 lb. beast in the basement. If The timing is right, I can get that in the basement for you without a big fuss. It would get you into the "Coal Association" with out a major drama.[/quote]

They are west of me maybe 15-20 miles?? Did you hear about the big fire in South Otselic last Sunday??
I will take some pics of the entry way where it needs to go in this weekend getting them posted may be another thing :D :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 19, 2014 6:46 pm

20 miles from South Otselic? I'm surprised you didn't end up with a Van Wert! I thought Arnie-the-coal-King-Huntley had the market cornered. :D

You are fortunate to have such a coal-crew nearby.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Dec. 20, 2014 2:17 am

I heard about the fire that leveled that huge building on the corner. The one that had the store in it. Arnie said that a track hoe fell in the foundation during the cleanup and they crushed one of his boilers getting it out. Man that was a nice boiler! Had an ash removal system that was pretty neat. The boiler was only a couple years old. A Van Wert 1200 or 1500 maybe. To bad about the building. They don't make them like that anymore. :(

CNY Farmer

Post by CNY Farmer » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Well it's in the cellar :shock: :) Wasn't to hard to get it down there.. Laid a couple pieces of pipe down the entryway,picked boiler up with chain on the pallet forks.Set it down on the pipes..My cousin has a hand pallet jack we put in the cellar.walked it down the pipes onto that...

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 7:10 am

Good to hear that you were successful in getting the boiler into the basement with no deaths or Injuries & without much trouble.Now getting it set up & hooked up & then heating. Keep us updated on your progress

coal heat

Post by coal heat » Sat. Dec. 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I have a portage main wood and coal outside boiler, this unit has shaker grate, with one blower in rear that blows air on top of flames as well as under grates. this boiler burns coal real well. I purchased it in Sept 2014 and it heats our 2500sq ft tri level home. I burn anthracite coal that is in 40 lbs bags. this boiler burns coal very well. little ashes from stove. This boiler model is BL 28-40, they have a larger unit that might work for you, something to look into. :) :)

CNY Farmer

Post by CNY Farmer » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 9:06 am

I'm hoping to start gathering plumbing supplies this week so we can get this beast hooked up and running.. I have a couple of questions..probably won't be the last :D

In the manual it says what expansion tank to get for the DHW but not for the boiler? The pics in manual shows that it's quite a bit bigger than DHW?? So is there a certain size that I should get???

Also the manual doesn't show a circulator pump for the DHW so the pressure from the lines is all thats needed???

Is pipe dope better than teflon tape for the black iron threads?? If so what is a good kind for use on boilers???

Thanks for any suggestions...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 10:47 am

More gallons in the whole system means bigger tank...too small and your pressure relief valve will open.

Yes, line pressure

Lots of discussion already on tape and dope choices..
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 10:54 am

Tape first then add the paste,yes you need both. :o I used Blue Monster tape & paste ,it worked very well,i had NO leaks at any of the threaded joints. GRIPP is well liked by some,some even use the high temp Permatex (silicone gasket maker). Unless you like going back,undoing joints to redo joints ,it absolutely pays to do it right the first time ! :)

nealkas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Looking at these.
Other Heating: Oil at present.

Post by nealkas » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 4:41 pm

coldinmaine wrote: However if you have a small restriction (say 2 inches) of 3/4 inch pipe in a length of 1 inch pipe, the fluid in the pipe will simply go faster in that section of tube (engineers-calculate exactly how much faster!). This could be louder, and the pressure/friction for that section would be quite a bit higher....but you can push the fluid through.
Almost a Venturi effect. :D
Besides the flow, there is some small but present temperature change as well.

If there was significant runs of 3/4 pipe among the 1, there'd be definite efficiency losses.

For the couple few fittings, there is a 'mathematical' impact, but not likely enough to effect operation.

CNY Farmer

Post by CNY Farmer » Fri. Jan. 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Getting closer to having the boiler hooked up..I'm excited and nervous :shock: :) My basement isn't sealed really tight with it being an old farm house..I'm wondering if I will have trouble with draft?? Should I try and plug every little hole that we find??? I'm going to get a manometer and install it in the door and leave it hooked up all the time..From the pictures I've seen just need a small piece of copper pipe over the hose??

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jan. 02, 2015 8:24 pm

The boiler will need some combustion air,it is better if it draws in thru the basement area than to pull that air from up in your living quarters causing drafts you will feel.The air leaks in the basement will not affect the chimney draft but if you were to make the basement air tight then the combustion air may draw down thru the chimney instead. A short piece of copper tube 12-18" is needed to hook the plastic tubing to.Some do have a draft gauge hooked to the door all the time but most only have one on the exhaust stack,not sure on your set-up as to which is best.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”