Stoves in There Original Homes

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I've seen some dealers that sell packs of dried peat bricks at Scottish games and Irish festivals that we've gone to. One had a small peat fire going. Yes, it's an interesting "earthy" scent.

Paul
Its interesting to watch how they dig it up out of the ground and cut it into bricks.....Ive got a little in a bag someplace I smuggled out of Eire about 30 years ago

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 11:01 am

I have a marble fireplace in the bedroom on the other side of the Crawford 40 and I'd love to open it up and put in a Sexton Grand. I'd love to find one.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Came across this while looking for some specific mill photo's. Don't know the details. thought it was cool.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/33329128@N00/pool/w ... /lightbox/
Matt
Edit: The link will not go to the old stove in the childs bedroom. I guess if you want you can look at all the old photo's. Pretty cool.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Do you know what page the stove is on Matt?

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
2001Sierra wrote:I was in England about 3 years ago, and many pubs had active coal burning fire places as the UK craigslist one shown. In Ireland they have similar fireplaces but burn peat from the bogs. An unusual smell, I thought it might be coal but found out different.
Give a few more million years and it will be coal. ;)

Paul
I think those da**ed Irishmen will have dug it up by then.

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 5:40 pm

wsherrick wrote:What I find frightening is the average person, even those who are familiar with antiquities, architecture, etc; has an almost total ignorance when it comes to something precious like an intact Baltimore Heater. "That there is a fancy wood stove insert."
This one is a Fuller & Warren make and a very large one at that. Who knows what happened to it.
ditto...it's horrifying to watch. young home buyers get an old house, and see everything inside needs to be "updated". they end up tearing out valuable interior artifacts and features, and tossing them in the dumpster. no clue. these hand made features, are replaced with cheap modern furnishings and interiors, much of it made in China by communist slave labor, and very low quality. the local antique auctioneers show up at house cleanout sales, and 9/10 of the time, all the valuable stuff is in the dumpster- they have become accustomed to dumpster diving to get valuables that are worth 1000's of $$$$ to auction off.
I've had someone tell me "there's an old coal stove in the garage, I think it needs a pipe"....

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”