Photo Gallery ?

Wayne Single Shot
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Anthracite

Post by Wayne Single Shot » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 10:47 am

I came to this site looking for information on how to use my Surdiac coal stove and was I think quite successful getting through that learning curve with all the credit going to the kind members here. In that process I became quit impressed with the different base burners especially the Glenwood since William had so many comprehensive videos on utube. Since I discovered the base burners I started to look for a photo gallery here (which may exist) but I didn't find one. I was wondering if there isn't a photo gallery if there would be any interest in starting one. Also I'm curious if there were any companies in PA at the turn of the last century (early 1900,s) that made base burners that were comparable to the ones made in New England area.
Last edited by Wayne Single Shot on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Nevermind.... :P

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 11:26 am

The closest thing we would have to a photo gallery is here:

Pictures of Your Stove

That's become quite long and includes all types. I have some changes coming by the Spring and I'll probably split that up into the different forums.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 11:45 am

Wayne Single Shot wrote:I came to this site looking for information on how to use my Surdiac coal stove and was I think quite successful getting through that learning curve with all the credit going to the kind members here. In that process I became quit impressed with the different base burners especially the Glenwood since William had so many comprehensive videos on utube. Since I discovered the base burners I started to look for a photo gallery here (which may exist) but I didn't find one. I was wondering if there isn't a photo gallery if there would be any interest in starting one. Also I'm curious if there were any companies in PA at the turn of the last century (early 1900,s) that made base burners that were comparable to the ones made in New England area.
There were manufacturers in PA that made quality BB stoves. I am attaching a couple of PDF files of a couple of manufactures. I use to have a Gem Dockash, made by Scranton Stove Works and I believe they made a baseburner version as well as my Oak style.

Randy

Attachments

AbramCoxStoveCoCca57991.pdf
.PDF | 178.9MB | AbramCoxStoveCoCca57991.pdf
Floyd, Wells and Co.pdf
.PDF | 11.9MB | Floyd, Wells and Co.pdf

Wayne Single Shot

Post by Wayne Single Shot » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks Richard: And splitting them up is a super idea.
Richard S. wrote:The closest thing we would have to a photo gallery is here:

Pictures of Your Stove

That's become quite long and includes all types. I have some changes coming by the Spring and I'll probably split that up into the different forums.

Wayne Single Shot

Post by Wayne Single Shot » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks Randy: I can research these companies, but when I download the attachments it tells me their is a error in the file that can't be repaired and I cant view the files. Now I'm not the most computer literate and maybe their is another way to access this information. I was just doing a click on the link. Any way the info you gave gives me a starting point. Thanks Again.
Photog200 wrote:
Wayne Single Shot wrote:I came to this site looking for information on how to use my Surdiac coal stove and was I think quite successful getting through that learning curve with all the credit going to the kind members here. In that process I became quit impressed with the different base burners especially the Glenwood since William had so many comprehensive videos on utube. Since I discovered the base burners I started to look for a photo gallery here (which may exist) but I didn't find one. I was wondering if there isn't a photo gallery if there would be any interest in starting one. Also I'm curious if there were any companies in PA at the turn of the last century (early 1900,s) that made base burners that were comparable to the ones made in New England area.
There were manufacturers in PA that made quality BB stoves. I am attaching a couple of PDF files of a couple of manufactures. I use to have a Gem Dockash, made by Scranton Stove Works and I believe they made a baseburner version as well as my Oak style.

Randy

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Here is a thread I remembered had quite a few pics in it.....

Antique Parlor Coal Stove Museum

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Wayne, the file size might be to large for this site...the first one was over 100mb. (I cannot even e-mail you a file that big) I got the files originally from the Library of Congress' website, you might want to look there. Let me see what I can do to that file and see if I can make it a lot smaller. It even had kitchen ranges in it and I can see if I can delete those.

Randy

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:29 pm

I deleted all but the heating stove information and made the file size a lot smaller.

Randy

Attachments

AbramCoxStoveCoCca57991xxx2.pdf
.PDF | 1.8MB | AbramCoxStoveCoCca57991xxx2.pdf

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Now lets try the smaller one...

Attachments

Floyd, Wells and Co xxx.pdf
.PDF | 650.4KB | Floyd, Wells and Co xxx.pdf

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Photog200 wrote:Wayne, the file size might be to large for this site...the first one was over 100mb.
There is 200 MB limit for pdf's so that's not the issue. ;)

I was having issue with zip files being corrupted during transfer so I'm checking now. The PDF's should work though.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Gents,
I just downloaded, and opened, no issues. It failed earlier. I'm using comcast broad band, running Linux. Thank you.
Cheers

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 3:02 pm

D-frost wrote:Gents,
I just downloaded, and opened, no issues. It failed earlier. I'm using comcast broad band, running Linux. Thank you.
Cheers
You downloaded the large files?

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Earlier, when they were 170mb/11mb, I downloaded and when opening, it said "errors in file, cannot open". That was maybe an hour ago.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 3:52 pm

D-frost wrote:Earlier, when they were 170mb/11mb, I downloaded and when opening, it said "errors in file, cannot open". That was maybe an hour ago.
I got that error message too. The files on my computer are fine, I opened them up and looked at each page with them. When I saved the files this time, I made them compatible all the way back to version 4 of Acrobat reader. Not sure if that was part of the problem or not but now they open fine.

Randy

Wayne Single Shot

Post by Wayne Single Shot » Mon. Dec. 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Randy: Thanks a lot, It worked for me with the new post. I don't know enough about computers to understand why it failed the first time. Those are some really great models of stoves. I don't need anything that ornate, that said I would still like to own one that fancy. Would be enjoyment just sitting and watch it work and to be able to appreciate the art work incorporated efficient wonders at the same time. Seems like these companies were in competition for looks as well as functionality.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”