Wonderluxe and Lehigh Nut

Pawoodchucker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Us stove Wonderluxe
Coal Size/Type: Nut some stove

Post by Pawoodchucker » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Day 11 not so good. Loaded up on my new supply of Lehigh nut Mis calculated my time over slept and when I got up this morning I had a burner full of ash. 95% burned which is good in some ways but not others. So back to wood while I work all the ash out and reload with coal back to a day 1. Again my fault Not the coal or stove
Craig

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Craig

Burning coal takes a little practice but it sounds like you are more than getting the hang of it. Don't fret too much.. I overslept the other day after tending to the Chubby earlier than normal the day before. Took a while but I did manage to salvage the burn. Wasn't easy though. It is times like these that make me very happy that I had the Crawford fired up as well. Other wise it could have become rather cold in the house. :mad:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 11, 2015 7:21 pm

I always keep a few small bags of match light charcoal for just this type of situation.

I'll throw on half a bag and after the big yellow ladies go away, I load her up and go!

Pawoodchucker

Post by Pawoodchucker » Mon. Jan. 12, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for the tip on the charcoal. I'll have to grab a bag for stand by. Nothing to report other than Im using the Lehigh nut I opened bag three and it's nice and shiny not busted up or coated with dust and when I throw this stuff in it sounds like a popcorn maker pinging off the inside of the stove!

Craig

Pawoodchucker

Post by Pawoodchucker » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Day 4. Being a beginner at this I can tell one thing for sure.... Lehigh coal burns hot longer and with less ash than the reading ant I have been burning . My shake down routine is much shorter any easier with less time to get the new batch of coal firing off. I'll have to hunt down some other brands of coal just to see what goes on. I'm pretty sure this is an addiction or something ! I certainly have fun at it.

Craig

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Which model stove do you have, Craig? Is it a furnace, or a freestander?

Pawoodchucker

Post by Pawoodchucker » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 8:43 pm

It's a free stander box type stove. I got it about 5 years ago and burned wood trying coal now and then . It's one u can buy at tsc. I'll get a coal only stove one of these days. Just have to stumble across the right one for the right price
Graig

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm in the same predicament. Mine was a second thought many years ago, and has become my "stepping stone" into the coal life. and I don't regret it a bit.
You mentioned your stove was "almost" out cause you overslept. I condemned mine quite a few times in the beginning, thinking the same way. But it's amazing how quickly you can recover a dull coal bed, to a flame hot and proud, once you learn the ropes. it takes a balance of knowing how much ash cleaning to do W/O smothering the little guys that are still alive. Once you drop some ashes, and leave your ashpan door open for a few minutes, "TEMPORARILY", you can most times, bring it back to life. then finish cleaning and filling with fresh coal. But "NEVER" forget your ash pan door is open. Lots of trouble could occur, and many people here will 2nd that. Keep asking and reading and you'll soon be the "master of your stove".

Pawoodchucker

Post by Pawoodchucker » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 7:05 pm

God evening
Fire is still going strong . This Lehigh nut is pretty good stuff . The amount of ash that comes out amazes me . Very little. The stove recovers super fast when reloading and my routine just got shortened by quite a bit. I'm gonna make another trip to livngreen landscape on Saturday and get 500lb more. I haven't touched my reading bags since last week. I have 400lb of that left

Craig

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 9:09 pm

I wish we had that option up here Craig.

Pawoodchucker

Post by Pawoodchucker » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 6:52 am

Good morning
I couldn't get Lehigh ant yesterday on my way home from work so I had to open a bag of reading and I will say the quality of the two is day and night. I think I read here about the multi range coal sizing . This bag ranges from sand to small nut with some sticks and crap for my wood burning needs. I'm glad they covered all my bases. That alone creates my struggle to maintain a decent fire. I will make another trip to see if the landscape store is open
Craig

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Craig,

I'm turning into a fan of Lehigh nut also. I burned Blaschak nut in my DS Machine 1500 for the first two seasons, but this year my dealer said Blaschak wouldn't give them a nut delivery in November. They went to Lehigh and got a truckload, and brought two tons to me.

It's much more consistent in size than the Blaschak I had last year. It burns plenty hot, just doesn't seem to maintain fire temp quite as long as the Blaschak.

When delivered in bulk it's plenty dusty thought.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”