Diary of a Surdiac

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 6:20 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:This thread convinced me that no matter how cheap we found a stove like this we would not buy it & put up with the aggravation. I know there are folks who like them as a small.supplemental stove But I knew from reading this thread that this stove would not suit our needs. It was & is amazing how persistent you were in getting the maximum from your stove. :)
+1

P.S. total is 6 now, that's 3 times what ya thought Joe.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 6:50 pm

The flip side is that no matter how cheap a stove its, you can make it work... Persistence pays off....

dj

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 6:55 pm

AND THE PERSISTENCE AWARD GOES TO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> !!!!!! *JOEQ*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! toothy

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 7:34 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:This thread convinced me that no matter how cheap we found a stove like this we would not buy it & put up with the aggravation.:)
And I'm glad it helped you make a decision Dave. That's the whole intent of these forums. Take what you can use, and throw out the rest.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 7:52 pm

joeq wrote:
windyhill4.2 wrote:This thread convinced me that no matter how cheap we found a stove like this we would not buy it & put up with the aggravation.:)
And I'm glad it helped you make a decision Dave. That's the whole intent of these forums. Take what you can use, and throw out the rest.
That is what I like about this forum,even when the threads get long & repetitious there usually is something that can be gleaned from the discussion to help ones own situation,even if one does the exact opposite of what the general consensus is to better suit their particular application.

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 11:56 am

Windy, to steal a line from Sting, It depends...

I have the exact same stove as Joe and couldn't be happier. I came to coal as a nonburner of anything, fires are decorative in SC. While it was a bit of a learning process I just cant gripe about the Surdiac's performance, especially as I'm using a Jotul 8 at the moment and burning wood fargin sucks.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 5:48 pm

I mentioned above about my latest experiment that was, slamming my MPD shut, B4 bed. I'm still doing it, and altho the "quality" of the fire seems a little erratic still in the mornings, I do think it's an improvement. Also, the trimmed bottom of the hopper, gives another "fat" inch to the exposed coal bed, and if nothing more, puts on a nicer show with the blue ladies.I still haven't shut the stove down for de-ashing, so it's not surprising it's cooling down in the wee hours of the morning, but it does definitely hold the ash on the grates longer. Is that a good thing? Is it insulating the bed, and holding some heat? Not sure. The other morning, with absolutely no changes in anything (compared to previous nights), before bed, I awoke to a fairly healthy coal bed, and still making about 300* on the heat exchanger. Why was it better? You got me.
It's gunna be in the teens again tonite, and the Mrs. wants to work in the back room, which is the farthest from the stove, so I need to crank it up to about "2" on the T-knob, which is "hot" on this stove. Have a couple magnetic thermometers on both sides of the stove pipe exit, on the back of the heat exchanger. On setting 1-1,1/2 the back temps will read about 400-450, and has hit 500* after clearing the ash. When I check the actual cast iron firebox, with my IR gun above the heat exchanger, it'll read 650 and over, so I know this thing is making some heat. So with some strategically placed fans, maybe I can warm that room over 60*. it's currently 32 outside, and 58 in that room. :cry:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 31, 2015 7:21 am

So I wake up this morning, and it's 6* outside. No wonder the black liquid is supplying heat. The stove after about 6-7 hrs was looking pretty pathetic when I got up, and wasn't burning well. So I poked it, and stoked it, and was admiring the blue ladies, and decided to take some pics. Here's one I just posted in the "general" category of this site, under my thread, "camera advice".
surdiac blue 004.JPG
.JPG | 46.2KB | surdiac blue 004.JPG

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jan. 31, 2015 7:58 am

Nice picture.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanx Don.
So for the past day or so, I've broke into burning my 2nd ton. The 1st ton was Kimmel pea, now I'm into the Blaschack. I'm not sure if it's just "coincidental", but I'm having a hard time of it heating up my stove. With the past month and a half on Kimmel, I had nice dancing flames on reloads, and 500* temps on the heat exchanger was typical. Today, I had to raise my draft from .04 to -.06. Got the coal bed screaming in color, and even closed down my MPD 1/2 way, to try and keep some heat in the stove, and not up the pipe . Yet I could barely muster 350 for temps. Been trying all nite. Even have the t-stat cranked up to 2 1/2. The intake damper is wide open, because the stove won't heat up. The temps outside are OK at 25, but I'm just not understanding it. I may try and pick up some more Kimmel after a few days of this, just to give it a try.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 12:34 am

Joe , I think the conclusion to the Kimmel's vs blaschak debate is that Kimmels burns hotter . It burns hotter in my stove with less draft as well . It can be a good or bad thing depending on the conditions and stove you are working with .

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Came home from work yesterday, and the wife had the fire burning to 500*. I said, "Wow"! How'ld you get this thing to take off like this?" The T-stat, and MPD were moved "slightly" but no significant changes from previous settings, and it did hold the temps for a while, but today, the stove temps are struggling again. The oats were a bit colder this morn., and the afternoon warmed up a bit, but I can't say for sure about the "sensitivity" of this Surdiac/Blaschack combination. I think I'll be a taking a trip into Mass. for a couple more weeks worth of Kimmel, and see if the previous performance returns.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Feb. 03, 2015 10:45 pm

joeq wrote:Came home from work yesterday, and the wife had the fire burning to 500*. I said, "Wow"! How'ld you get this thing to take off like this?" The T-stat, and MPD were moved "slightly" but no significant changes from previous settings, and it did hold the temps for a while, but today, the stove temps are struggling again. The oats were a bit colder this morn., and the afternoon warmed up a bit, but I can't say for sure about the "sensitivity" of this Surdiac/Blaschack combination. I think I'll be a taking a trip into Mass. for a couple more weeks worth of Kimmel, and see if the previous performance returns.
And who was tending today?

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 12:10 am

Sorry to have missed this post, but have had some "technical difficulties" these past few days.
Not sure where I was at that day, but did have some success getting the stove to heat up, "at times", but haven't nailed down the reasoning yet. Some days are better than others. Because of these single digit temps, and the stove on "higher", it's requiring ash clearing more frequently (naturally), but I'm impressed that it does an OK job of providing heat, when staying on top of it. (Not literally) :D

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:33 am

joeq wrote:... but I'm impressed that it does an OK job of providing heat, when staying on top of it....:D
That is the best place to be for heat.... ;)

(sorry, just had to take it out of context)

dj

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”