Unburned Coal in My A&A 130

Mikeeg02
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Tue. Jan. 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Can you post a picture of your ashes ? Empty them tonight. Take a picture tomorrow evening. Tell us your current Anthrastat, and aquastat settings. Also get us a picture from the sight tube and try to give us an approximation of how long since last call for heat occured.

tiz
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil boiler

Post by tiz » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Mike,

Got the PDI yesterday. Can you tell me if I installed it correctly? I tied the TC to the end of the anthrastat probe and inserted it back into the A&A. Did this about an hour ago. I am getting a reading on the PV of between 74* and 68* depending on whether the A&A is running or not. The higher temp is when the A&A is not running the lower temp is when it is running. The anthrastat is set @ 140*

I still have to post some new pic's of the ashes and I will do that soon.

Carl

Mikeeg02

Post by Mikeeg02 » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Your PV value should be closer to 140+ can you get a picture of your T/C location? Are you sure you setithe PID for a type k T/C?

tiz

Post by tiz » Sat. Jan. 24, 2015 8:07 pm

I'll check the TC setting but when I first connected it it was reading the room temp accurately.

Carl

tiz

Post by tiz » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 7:02 am

This morning the PV reading is hovering around 81*. Maybe I have a wiring issue. I will have to revisit the wiring diagram and double check that. I bought the A&A used and had to wire everything. Maybe I got something wrong. Todays project.

Carl

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 8:43 am

How many clicks is it ashing? You should be able to pull the ashing lever and see them temp on the pid go up. If it's not ashing enough, no matter what you set the anthrastat at it won't matter.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 9:06 am

What *Mozz* says^^^

Sounds like you have a high and thin fire.
This will account for outfires and plenty of unburnt coal.

Getting up to 140* will show big improvements in performance, with a lower and thicker fire.

Bump up to the higher setting gradually over time...too much too quick can get you a "puff-back"

tiz

Post by tiz » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 9:48 am

The asher is set at 1 & 2 clicks, that is for part of the ashing gear I get 2 clicks and part of the ashing gear I get 1. Someone posted earlier that the ashing gear is designed to operate at 1 click more or 1 click less depending on which part of the ashing gear the ashing arm is engaging. I other words the ashing gear is asymmetrical . Is this correct, because that is how mine is operating.
I will go out now and manually ash the A&A until I get that 140* reading and see what happens from there before I start tinkering with any wiring . I my have the wiring correct after all. At least with me, when things are not going as prescribed I begin to rethink & second guess everything I've done. Past experience, when the outcome is not as expected check your work first before blaming anything on the equipment.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am sure, with your help, I'll get it right eventually. Patience !!

Carl

Mikeeg02

Post by Mikeeg02 » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 am

Mine usually has 2 clicks, occasionally 3. I believe that's where most people are set. And could be a part of your problem.

Is it ever not ashing currently?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 10:06 am

CAUTION: Regarding your manual ashing... Too much ashing done all at once and/or done too quickly might result in setting up the conditions for a puff-back scenario.

tiz

Post by tiz » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks

I will approach the manual ashing cautiously. Once @ 140* I will adjust the ashing arm to the 2 & 3 click setting and see it that maintains the 140* . I will keep everyone in the loop.

Carl

Mikeeg02

Post by Mikeeg02 » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Your better off adjusting the clicks now. Manually shake the arm about ten cycles. IMO it's best to manually shake when you have hot coals, and the fan is running.

If you adjust the clicks now the fire will slowly go to the correct spot anyways. The manual shake now just helps it start to get there.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Your wiring is alright, you would of never ran as long as you have with it not being right. It is your Anthrastat that is the problem.

Your Anthrastat needs turned up a good bit to get it to run the grate long enough until it has satisfied the set point...80* some degrees is not where the Anthrastat needs to be set. Bump it up as was said earlier.

Have you located and identified the 2 wires in the junction box that need to be switched/broken by the new PID/SSR? We are here to help. ;)

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Mine is 3 clicks, part of the rotation is 2 clicks. Adjust the little arm to the right until when your manual asher at full stoke is giving 3 clicks. Anthrastat at 140. If it is always ashing when running, you don't have the clicks set right. There solenoid should sometimes turn on, other times it should be off. You can't have too many clicks, the solenoid will stop it from ashing when it gets to the anthrastat temp.
SH101585.JPG
.JPG | 72.8KB | SH101585.JPG

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm fine tuning right now with my AA 260. I started out with a lot of unburned coal. I changed the anthrastat temp lower, and I've experienced less unburned coal, just mainly some clinkers and fine ash. I do think the calibration is off a little, but I have a brand new anthrastat as a spare if it ever fails. So far all is well. Tonight I also removed the pins for the timer, as it runs enough to keep the fire nice and the ashes shaken down when heating the building. My setting is two to three clicks on the asher.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”