Beware: the Taco 007 IFC Circulator Is Not an 007 in Output

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 8:23 pm

I just noticed that per Taco's pump curves the Taco 007 IFC (with "internal flow check") circulator can only deliver 2.2 GPM of flow into a system with 8 feet of friction head, whereby the original Taco 007 (without internal flow check) can deliver a measurably more significant 8 GPM into the same friction head of 8 feet. And at 7 feet of head the original 007 delivers 11 GPM whereas the IFC model can only muster 5 GPM.

The IFC model exhibits a radically different and lower level of performance that the presence of the internal flow check alone does not seem to account for. Do not make the mistake of buying an 007 IFC if what you want is a classic 007.

Guess which back-up circulator I have sitting on my shelf for a system with a friction head of around 7.8 ft.? You guess it, the 007 IFC. Stupid me! If my current circulator fails we will freeze to death with the 007 IFC installed. Guess this is yet more inspiration for me to get a Taco VT2218 when they become generally available. Even the Taco Bumble Bee runs circles around the 007 IFC.

coldinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old- green furnace
Coal Size/Type: nut mostly
Other Heating: pellet, wood

Post by coldinmaine » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 8:52 pm

I have the 0015 3 speed with a flow check. I believe that the flow check can be removed with needle nose pliers and the pump will behave like an original 007.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 9:02 pm

coldinmaine wrote:I have the 0015 3 speed with a flow check. I believe that the flow check can be removed with needle nose pliers and the pump will behave like an original 007.
You may be right, but I've seen pump curves for with and without internal check before, and they generally do not rob anywhere near as much performance. I'm not fully convinced that removing the IFC will turn an 007 IFC into an 007.

BTW, your 0015 3-Speed with IFC is the direct replacement for my discontinued Taco 00R 3-Speed with IFC, and they share identical pump curves.

coldinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old- green furnace
Coal Size/Type: nut mostly
Other Heating: pellet, wood

Post by coldinmaine » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Overall I'm pleased with the performance of the 0015..but I have very simple system (efm boiler about 5 feet from a hot air furnace with a big water to air heat exchanger). I've enjoyed reading about your efficiency analysis with your 3 speed pump. I
may do something similar once I work out all of the kinks in my new system!

Mikeeg02
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Mon. Jan. 26, 2015 5:06 am

I ran into this problem as well. There is even two flow curves for the 007 IFC! After suffering with the low flow of that model, I ended up liking grundfos' ups15-58fc flow curves. Which has three speeds, middle being the same as the 008IFC which is a little faster then an original 007. It's literally a couple dollars more, and uses comparable power.

ricoman2737
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Lennox Fuel Oil boiler as a backup

Post by ricoman2737 » Mon. Jan. 26, 2015 6:44 am

Does anybody have an experiences with the new circular pump "AquaMotion" that is being sold by supplyhouse.com ? Would this pump be a good swap out for the 007 ? John

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 26, 2015 12:49 pm

ricoman2737 wrote:Does anybody have an experiences with the new circular pump "AquaMotion" that is being sold by supplyhouse.com ? Would this pump be a good swap out for the 007 ? John
I had never heard of them before. Their AM7 appears to be a knock off of the Taco 007. But for about $2 more you can have the real thing.

On further review, the new AquaMotion circulators pull noticeably less amps than the comparable Taco, have a nice warranty, have some innovations, and are made in the USA (in Rhode Island, just like Taco). They even have a variable speed pump on the horizon.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 11:11 pm

lsayre wrote:On further review, the new AquaMotion circulators pull noticeably less amps than the comparable Taco, have a nice warranty, have some innovations, and are made in the USA (in Rhode Island, just like Taco). They even have a variable speed pump on the horizon.
The first of the new AquaMotionSMART™ Einstein Series variable speed (Delta-P) circulators is presently out for UL certification should be generally available in March. More GPM capability per given ft. of head than the Grundfos Alpha, less current draw (ranging from 10% to 33%), less expensive, silent running, and made in the USA. Model # will be AM55-FVL I believe.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Jan. 31, 2015 7:19 am

I've got that 007 IFC pumping into my Amtrol indirect hot water tank. Came with the unit. Works fine with that - only 3/4" pipe to and fro.

With my current setup, I find the IFC is completely useless. I have 165° DHW right now, thanks to it being held open by the 007 that circulates between the stoker and oil boiler. :x

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 31, 2015 7:37 am

SMITTY wrote:I've got that 007 IFC pumping into my Amtrol indirect hot water tank. Came with the unit. Works fine with that - only 3/4" pipe to and fro.

With my current setup, I find the IFC is completely useless. I have 165° DHW right now, thanks to it being held open by the 007 that circulates between the stoker and oil boiler. :x
Do you attribute the 165 degree water to the IFC not doing its job and thereby allowing for thermal syphoning?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”