Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Tue. Jan. 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Any updates?

tiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil boiler

Post by tiz » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 5:50 am

Still tinkering around with it. I will try and post a more complete update on whats going on tonight. I am allowing 24 hours between any adjustments. So far when the unit is running I am seeing around 120-130* on the PDI when the unit is running. Once the A&A stops the temp. rises to sometimes above 140*. I am guessing the drop in the readings is attributed to the cold air being drawn in through the ash pit for combustion. Does that make sense. The ashes look better.
Carl

Mikeeg02
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 8:12 am

Your on the right track. The temperature will typically rise after the fan stops. Depending on where it is in the ashing cycle it could be 5 degrees, it could be 40 degrees. So don't worry too much about that. The temperature while the fan is running is what's important. What changes have been made to get you here?

tiz
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil boiler

Post by tiz » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Sorry Mike. I have been off the grid for a while. Still trying to fine tune the beast.
The ash temp has been staying in the range mentioned earlier at times when the fan and all stops I can see the temp spike to a 170* or more. When running maybe between 115* to 145* . The ashes look very good. I cannot find any unburned coal. The ashes look much different than before. It appears that all the coal is burning much more thoroughly and I can go longer between emptying the ash tubs. It may all be in my imagination but I could swear that I am using less coal as well. One other thing, the fly ash issue has nearly been eliminated, very little collecting in the barometric, not like before. All this seems to have been achieved by sealing the cone, adjusting the ashing and thanks to the PID, being able to monitor the ash temperature . How on earth can you really get an A&A running efficiently with out a PID, just take a S.W.A.G. at it I guess. The PID is a great tool. Now I need to figure out how to set all the parameters on the PID, wire it in, and have it take over for the anthrastat. Got any guidance in that area?
Carl

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”