Buckwheat Coal Vs Rice in a Keystoker 90?

ryanchamp10105
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 5:33 pm

I have a question, recently I thought I was buying a ton of rice coal off a dealer but he gave me buck wheat coal instead. I have a keystoker 90 , normally with the rice coal the temp on the side of the stove is around 500 to 550, now im burning the buckwheat coal im only getting the temp on the side of the stove to run between 390 and 410. ive burned about a ton of the buckwheat coal so far and it just doesn't keep up with the below zero weather were halving in upstate ny. I was wondering if I can adjust the stove at all to make the buckwheat coal burn hotter?"the screw in the back is already turned down all the way" thanks in advance
Last edited by ryanchamp10105 on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved : Coal Stokers: Boilers, Furnaces and Stoves, Changed topic title

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 5:44 pm

There was a conversation just the other day about that..
Buckwheat in the Keystoker 90!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Yes, you can burn buck in your keystoker, like they said above, there was just a discussion on this and probably others in other threads over the years.

how much ash do you have at the end of the grate at full burn?

Whats your combustion air flapper set at? about 1/2 open/closed? might try opening that up a bit.

Do you use a Thermostat or CoalTrol to control it?

The feed screw if turned all the way in (CW) should give you max feed rate as long as you are not pushing hot coals off the end.

ryanchamp10105

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 6:20 pm

i had the combustion fan just about all the way open and the screw turned all the way clock wise wich is wide open.im running the stove on a thermostat and when its below zero I peg it to 90 but the house only reaches around 65.when I burned rice coal I could keep it 75 in here without a problem.with the screw turned all the way cw I have about 2" of ash still with the buckwheat coal.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 6:24 pm

I would think with the screw all the way in, it should push hot coals off the end, Hmm. That would be max feed rate, usually you to back it off about 4 or so turns as not push hot coals off the end.

That might be why it's not getting up to a higher temp. You should be able to get 1" or less of ash to get more heat from it.

Have you cleaned the grates, etc.....lately. ?

Check the feed screw when it pushing and pulling, sometimes it won't let you adjust it if its in a push mode, keep tweeking it when it's loose to get it to go in maybe a little farther. if you can wiggle it a little then it;s not under load and should be able to adjust maybe a little more, don't force it, it might be adjusted all the way, but sometimes you can get a turn or two out of it when it's in its cycle and it's loose.

ryanchamp10105

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 8:12 pm

i just cleaned it maybe a month ago good. the nut is all the way in I closed the cumbustion motor just about all the way, now I have about a inck of ash and its still at 400,could it be a bad batch of coal possibly?

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 10:22 am

ryanchamp10105 wrote:i just cleaned it maybe a month ago good. the nut is all the way in I closed the cumbustion motor just about all the way, now I have about a inck of ash and its still at 400,could it be a bad batch of coal possibly?
I have had the same issue with my Keystoker Ecno 70. The buck wouldn't produce enough heat no matter what adjustments I made. I ended up switching to rice coal from Reading Coal and the heat difference is amazing. Instead of just letting the buck go to waste, I've been just mixing in a couple of coffee cans of buck into each hopper full of rice. Works well.

ryanchamp10105

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 1:26 pm

same here I just ordered 2 ton of rice coal I get way more heat out of it and seems like it last longer also.

aseecobra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K triple wall with 350cfm blower.
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by aseecobra » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 12:06 am

Buck doesn't build as much heat as rice does in my 90K either. I found the best settings for the buck was full stroke feed and 3/4 open air.

I'm back to rice.

ryanchamp10105

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 4:23 am

same here I was just trying to figure out why, I have the rice in now and it seems to be getting a way better burn, thanks everyone.

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 9:35 am

Same issue here. The Rice burns much better in the 90.

The buck works fine on normal temp days, but not as good on sub zero days.

But, we need to figure out why.

Or how do we make the buck burn better?

ryanchamp10105

Post by ryanchamp10105 » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 12:27 pm

I have tried just about everything, one thing I did notice is that the buckwheat doesn't see to feed as well in mine anyway.I think im gonna just stick with the rice coal I get a hotter burn that I need in upstate ny.

ytseman3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 (chimney)
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ytseman3 » Thu. Feb. 12, 2015 5:15 pm

ryanchamp10105 wrote:I have tried just about everything, one thing I did notice is that the buckwheat doesn't see to feed as well in mine anyway.I think im gonna just stick with the rice coal I get a hotter burn that I need in upstate ny.
How old is your stove? Only reason I ask is I have the 90 also and I installed a new nylon cam on the feed motor last year. I just tried buck in mine (bought a few bags) and I was 2 turns out from full feed with my air flap 1/2 open and was able to get the ash to about an inch on the grate. My stove temp on the side was about 450-475 with the buck at those settings. Your cam could be worn and not moving the pusher block as far with each stroke. Just a thought. When I burn rice I generally have the feed screw 4-6 turns out (4 when the single digit temps hit and sometimes I can turn it to 3 turns out). Even at 3 turns out with rice I only see 500 degrees max. That is assuming my therm is accurate :)

I guess it depends on the coal also for how hot the stove gets, I'm burning Blaschak rice this year. I'm thinking about getting Jeddo buckwheat this summer. I really liked how it burned when I tried the bags.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”