Stove Par Excellence?

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:It wouldn't be. The Hickory has a draw center grate (round grate) verses triangular in your Oak. Stick with the Oak 30,...... unless a base heater with triangular grates turns up.

Paul
That's what I'm in the hunt for but they seem to be few and far between and it seems someone is always faster on the trigger when they do crop up.

Thanks for the info.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 9:40 pm

tmbrddl wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:It wouldn't be. The Hickory has a draw center grate (round grate) verses triangular in your Oak. Stick with the Oak 30,...... unless a base heater with triangular grates turns up.

Paul
That's what I'm in the hunt for but they seem to be few and far between and it seems someone is always faster on the trigger when they do crop up.

Thanks for the info.
That's why I called Barnstable and when he said he had a Glenwood 6 I gave a deposit on it . I was tired of searching for a "deal" . If you just want to make the jump to a base heater call of of the antique stove dealers that you can find on the forum. If you want a list I can send you one . Others on here can give their opinions . I bought from Doug at Barnstable stove and am 100% happy.

Happy hunting !

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 6:47 am

Smokeyja wrote:
tmbrddl wrote:

Thanks for the info.
That's why I called Barnstable and when he said he had a Glenwood 6 I gave a deposit on it . I was tired of searching for a "deal" . If you just want to make the jump to a base heater call of of the antique stove dealers that you can find on the forum. If you want a list I can send you one . Others on here can give their opinions . I bought from Doug at Barnstable stove and am 100% happy.

Happy hunting !
Exactly why I bought mine from Wilson. I looked for a #6 for a long time and only found ones that were going to be a major project that the owner was trying to get rid of,.... or the better ones were grabbed up as soon as they popped up.

I saw that Wilson had a choice of base heaters for sale, so I went there and came home with a base heater with no problems. The toughest part of going there was which base heater to pick. :D

Paul

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:26 am

Paul , I didn't get the pleasure of going to the shop. It was all via phone and email and I had the stove shipped .

One day I want to make a trip up to see these shops . I might get fed up with looking for a cool stove one day and do the same thing but next time I'll make a trip .

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Exactly why I bought mine from Wilson. I looked for a #6 for a long time and only found ones that were going to be a major project that the owner was trying to get rid of,.... or the better ones were grabbed up as soon as they popped up.

I saw that Wilson had a choice of base heaters for sale, so I went there and came home with a base heater with no problems. The toughest part of going there was which base heater to pick. :D

Paul
This Glenwood Oak 30 is a wonderful stove that does a great job doing what I expect it to. Trying to convince the wife I want to spend a rather large sum on another stove to meet my peculiar desire is no easy task. She doesn't understand why I want another tractor...she doesn't understand why I need the one I've got.

A sad state of affairs for a man to be found in. Weep for me.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:25 pm

I think a lot of us can relate with your story . I was able to convince my wife into the Glenwood 6 but after spending that kind of money it's hard to try and purchase a cook stove which I'm not doing anytime soon . I still have my two warm mornings though but they aren't that much fun anymore lol .

So you are planning on keeping The oak and purchase a base heater ?
Last edited by Smokeyja on Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Smokeyja wrote:So you are planning on keeping the oak and purchase a base heater ?
I put my heart and soul into restoring this stove and I'd like to keep it. I'm sure it's good for another hundred years. I would really like to explore the marvels of a base heater just to see what I'm missing. They do look gorgeous.
Last edited by tmbrddl on Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 8:52 pm

tmbrddl wrote:
Smokeyja wrote:So you are planning on keeping the oak and purchase a base heater ?
I put my heat and soul into restoring this stove and I'd like to keep it. I'm sure it's good for another hundred years. I would really like to explore the marvels of a base heater just to see what I'm missing. They do look gorgeous.
I understand ! One of the reasons I keep my first WM around . It's a good stove and I put a lot of work and research into it . I didn't even do the restore on this 6 and I plan on handing it down to my kids some day . So the question now is whether or not to take the plunge into a already restored one from the dealers or try and wait for a deal online .

Do you have your eye on a specific model? It seems a few guys on here are finding some good deals on a few .

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Thu. Jan. 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Smokeyja wrote:Do you have your eye on a specific model? It seems a few guys on here are finding some good deals on a few .
I'm building my own consensus right now but haven't arrived at any conclusion. In the hunt.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 10:27 am

tmbrddl wrote:What is the stove to have if you can only have one? Not thinking rarity here, but practical heaters.
My idea of a "practical heater":

1. Firepot big enough to heat the whole house (maybe with capacity left over).
2. Firepot made of cast iron (highly efficient heat transfer material) that radiates directly into the room.
3. Large additional heat exchange area made up of hundreds of pounds of additional cast iron.
4. Heat exchanger design scrubs BTU's through natural convection, with no fan required.
5. For those who are particularly serious about "practical", ash door big enough to accommodate a conversion stoker.

For those who don't recognize it, that's a description of the guts of an "octopus"/cast iron sectional furnace. No resources expended on nickel, finials, or frilly stuff. Just a brute force application of clever design and the best materials to convey prodigious quantities of BTU's into the surrounding air. With all due respect to the makes and models mentioned, I think these units set the standard for "practical heaters".

Mike

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Pacowy wrote:
tmbrddl wrote:What is the stove to have if you can only have one? Not thinking rarity here, but practical heaters.

2. Firepot made of cast iron (highly efficient heat transfer material) that radiates directly into the room.
3. Large additional heat exchange area made up of hundreds of pounds of additional cast iron.
4. Heat exchanger design scrubs BTU's through natural convection, with no fan required.
5. For those who are particularly serious about "practical", ash door big enough to accommodate a conversion stoker.

For those who don't recognize it, that's a description of the guts of an "octopus"/cast iron sectional furnace. No resources expended on nickel, finials, or frilly stuff. Just a brute force application of clever design and the best materials to convey prodigious quantities of BTU's into the surrounding air. With all due respect to the makes and models mentioned, I think these units set the standard for "practical heaters".

Mike
Then it's a furnace and not a stove. It's in the dark basement and not up with the family. No warm floors or warm chairs, no warm pillows on the Divan. Just hot air.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 2:42 pm

It looks an awful lot like a stove when you take the outer tin off. Maybe a little like something out of the Jetsons, but basically a stove. And plenty warm.

Mike

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Pacowy wrote:It looks an awful lot like a stove when you take the outer tin off. Maybe a little like something out of the Jetsons, but basically a stove. And plenty warm.

Mike
was going to ask for pics but I found some thanks.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 3:44 pm

A while back forum member Kev had a thread on his restoration of one - Got My Coal Furnace! 1920 Holland Vaporaire . I think his plan was to use it as an actual furnace, but you can get the idea of it as a stove. And in that thread there is at least one link to a Youtube video showing one being used as a stove.

Mike

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 4:22 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Pacowy wrote:

Mike
Then it's a furnace and not a stove. It's in the dark basement and not up with the family. No warm floors or warm chairs, no warm pillows on the Divan. Just hot air.
William,
Here's a Glenwood "Octopus" furnace you can bring upstairs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Salesman-Sample-F ... 2c95dd3a41

:D
Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”