Frozen Rice Coal in Bunker Solved

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 10:57 am

So My axeman is in the shop that stays above freezing, the bunker is on the other side of the wall in cold storage- with the auger going through a hole in the wall.
I haven't gotten bulk coal yet, so putting rice coal from Kimmels from a bag into my bunker (a liquid storage pallet with the top cut off) worked great except this stuff was so wet it would freeze into clumps. So I took another bunker box cut a coal chute in the side towards the bottom. I filled it with coal and let it sit in the heated area for a week. Then I took my forklift and lifted it up opened the chute and - blamo - dry coal poured in. Not particularly dusty either. Since the drain cock is on the other side I probably got a few gallons of water out, plus whatever is still at the bottom in a witches brew of liquid fines.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 11:37 am

Any particular reason you are burning rice coal in the Axeman?

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Had 4 tons of it leftover. Found it feeds lovely when dry. Not sure if I get reduced BTU max output, or if it has problems idling in warm months . But I have oodles of over capacity and this time of year it's not idling more than an hour

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”