New Installation Keystoker KA 6 (Steam) - Aquastat Setting

oskarhop
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6 Steam
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by oskarhop » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 4:39 pm

I am newly registered on this site, but it helped me a lot in choosing to buy a Keystoker KA 6 for our steam system. After a long delay, the boiler was installed today. Can anyone point me where to find Keystoker's recommended aquastat setting?

The installer finished up the job, waited for it to make steam, adjusted the thermostat down to make sure the coal would stop feeding (it did), raised it back up to make sure it would feed again (it did), and of course has gone home for the weekend.

About five minutes later the coal stopped feeding and did not come back on. He was uncertain with the aqua stat setting: It is Honeywell 4006A1827. He set it for 210 saying he thought it when water temperature fell to that it would call for coal feeding again to make steam. Inside the cover it says "switch opens on temp increase". If I adjust the aqua stat to 220*, the coal starts feeding and the flame burns just as it should.

Sorry to be my first day and already asking a question, but I want to be (1) safe and (2) warm. I have not been able to find Keystoker's recommended setting for this control. Can anyone assist? Thank you very much.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Welcome to the board and hang tight. Someone with expertise with your situation will be along to help.. :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 5:43 pm

The switch breaks (off) on a temp rise and closes on temp fall. The differential is fixed. You won't make steam at 210° so run it about 215° and see if it helps.

oskarhop
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6 Steam
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by oskarhop » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Thank you so much. This makes sense to me.

I am really grateful for the NEPACrossroads community. My whole family is looking forward to living at a more comfortable temperature thanks to coal.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Keystone Manufacturing Company Phone: (570) 385-3873 Ask for Don AND DO NOT WAIT UNTIL NOON...call at 07:30. Those settings are not in the steam manual, and a quick call will resolve any questions, plus you will be speaking with 'The Man' directly. You probably read that your pressure relief is ASME required to blow off at 2.0 pounds, so take a quick look at the pressure gauge as well. I set them at 1.5 psi and have never has a problem. I would try 225+ on the 4006, because if the pressure relief is fine, you sure don't want to 'shut down' the burn process. The boiler is in NO DANGER of blowing up, only blowing off some steam it it gets too warm. Good luck on this cold weekend, and please call Don early tomorrow. Have a pen and paper handy, so you won't need to ask him next month.......Oh, you should be aware that the big pressure gauge man not show any pressure, or you might see 1.0 once in a while. It is not broken, that's the way it works. Also, did the installer 'skim' the boiler? That is required to remove any greasy or oily residues that may be on the steel. It is critical, and hopefully he has done it. If not, you will know as the boiler will surge and be unable to maintain a constant temp and pressure. :shock: :idea:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 7:53 pm

The aquastat should be used to control the minimum boiler temperature, for hot water production via the tankless coil.

During a heat call the stoker should run non stop until the pressurtrol setting is reached, or until the heat call is satisfied.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 8:05 pm

x2. Even without a coil you'd want to keep the boiler above condensing temperature and the unit could also shut off while making steam in response to the LWCO.

Mike

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Rob is absolutely correct, and why your boiler was shutting down when you lowered the 4006 makes me wonder if that is another question for Don in the AM. A steam boiler is controlled by the pressuretrol, and the 4006 is only there for the minimum hot water limit. If your house temp is satisfied, that will shut it down, or a timer will run maintain minimum fire and temp. ....
You will be much wiser after that phone call!

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Do you have a domestic hot water coil?

For steam, your aquastat high limit should be set at what the factory recommends for steam. The low limit could be set at 140. The aquastat acts as a control for the "burner" mainly if you have a hot water coil, the low limit would be there to ensure the temperature doesn't drop below the set point, and the high limit would be a mixing valve that controls the final water temperature.

This is from the manual, and being you have steam, there is no need for a circulator pump, and no dump zone.

--------From Keystoker Manual
HIGH LIMIT AQUASTAT–
This control should be mounted in bypass loop above boiler.
This acts only as a safety control and should be set at least 220 degrees. If boiler temperature
becomes too high, this control starts circulator pump to relieve boiler temperature and will he
at radiators, acting as a signal. If this condition occurs, refer to overheating. ------------------

You do not need 1.5 lbs of pressure on your boiler. The Empire State building only uses around 4 PSI to heat the building with street steam. Your system should operate with a vaporstat instead of a pressure control. Your pipes are probably 2" or 3"....so why jam the pipes up with high pressure steam that will not travel as fast as steam at a lower pressure will. Proper venting of the mains and radiators is also essential.

For real system control, you could put TRV valves on each radiator, which controls the temperature of the room at each radiator (and they sell remote operators for them also).

Good luck.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Vampiro wrote: For steam, your aquastat high limit should be set at what the factory recommends for steam. The low limit could be set at 140. The aquastat acts as a control for the "burner" mainly if you have a hot water coil, the low limit would be there to ensure the temperature doesn't drop below the set point, and the high limit would be a mixing valve that controls the final water temperature.

This is from the manual, and being you have steam, there is no need for a circulator pump, and no dump zone.
I think this post is confusing because it cites the wrong manual. Keystoker has a steam boiler manual - http://www.keystoker.com/manuals/2012/Steam-Boiler.pdf . It specifies a 4006A aquastat, which, AFAIK, is a single-function aquastat intended to function as the low limit control. There is no high limit recommendation because there is no high limit to set.

I agree the low limit could be set at 140 if the objective is to prevent condensation. If boiler water is used to make DHW (via an indirect or coil), run a hydronic loop, etc. a higher setting likely would be needed.

Mike

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Rob R. wrote:The aquastat should be used to control the minimum boiler temperature, for hot water production via the tankless coil.

During a heat call the stoker should run non stop until the pressurtrol setting is reached, or until the heat call is satisfied.
Do as rob states. Stay safe and set the aquastat at 150 to 160 which should be enough for domestic water.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 5:04 pm

franco b wrote:Do as rob states. Stay safe and set the aquastat at 150 to 160 which should be enough for domestic water.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where the OP has said this boiler is used for DHW. The appropriate low limit depends on what else, if anything, the boiler is trying to do besides make steam. 150-160 might work for DHW in some circumstances. In other circumstances a higher setting might be needed - e.g., some indirects are rated based on 180 deg boiler water.

Mike

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Pacowy wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where the OP has said this boiler is used for DHW. The appropriate low limit depends on what else, if anything, the boiler is trying to do besides make steam. 150-160 might work for DHW in some circumstances. In other circumstances a higher setting might be needed - e.g., some indirects are rated based on 180 deg boiler water.
Just trying to get away from the dangerous recommendations in this thread. A tankless needing 180 is undersized; why not make it smaller still and use 200 water?

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 6:47 pm

franco b wrote:
Pacowy wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where the OP has said this boiler is used for DHW. The appropriate low limit depends on what else, if anything, the boiler is trying to do besides make steam. 150-160 might work for DHW in some circumstances. In other circumstances a higher setting might be needed - e.g., some indirects are rated based on 180 deg boiler water.
Just trying to get away from the dangerous recommendations in this thread. A tankless needing 180 is undersized; why not make it smaller still and use 200 water?
Please clarify what you mean by "dangerous recommendations". My reference to 180 degrees was for an indirect, not a tankless, and reflected the manufacturer's specs. I don't think I've ever advocated using undersized coils or indirects, so I don't really get what your post is responding to.

Mike

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Pacowy wrote:Please clarify what you mean by "dangerous recommendations". My reference to 180 degrees was for an indirect, not a tankless, and reflected the manufacturer's specs. I don't think I've ever advocated using undersized coils or indirects, so I don't really get what your post is responding to.
I was responding to the recommendation to set the aquastat to 225.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”