11 Hour Burn Time on 12 # Pea

kweis

Post by kweis » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Hello, it's been awhile since I've been on here but just had to say that I managed to get an 11 hour burn time out of my Wittigsthal stove on about 12 pounds of pea today :) Prior the most I could get out of it would be maybe 6 hours. Found part of the secrete to be to have the mpd virtually closed and the coal bed well bedded down and poked carefully from above to eliminate any bridging whatsoever. The Wittigsthal does not have conventional shaker grate. Just a small disk that goes back and forth (German). Have an earlier thread on this stove. Just shows what can be accomplished I guess when the draft it well controlled.

Kevin

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Nicely done on your success, Kevin, and welcome back Now see if you can duplicate it. I tried once and shut my MPD totally down B4 bed on my 513, and woke the next morning to a brite fire. I tried the same experiment every nite that week, and the results varied. So I've gone back to cracking the MPD a bit. Hopefully your stove will respond more favorably.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 10:55 pm

kweis

CONGRATS!! :dancing: After a while you get a "feel" for how the stove will behave and it sounds like you are getting it nailed down. It sure is great feeling knowing you can go to bed and sleep in late if you so desire and not have that pressing feeling and need to get up and deal with the stove. Even a better feeling when we have a winter like we are having this year!

AGAIN... CONGRATS and I hope you can push your 11 hour mark to 12 to 14 hours in short order!

Have you played around with mixing coal sizes as well? Sorry if this was covered in a your prior thread.

kweis

Post by kweis » Wed. Feb. 25, 2015 1:15 pm

onedollar, I'veplayed around with mixing nut with pea in this stove, it burns well but burn time is sacrificed due to the larger voids. This pot (a square chamber firebrick lined) will only hold about 12 lbs max. From previous post a few years ago this stove was actually designed to burn compressed coal briquetts hence the type of shaker desgined which is not very conducive to burning anthracite as the ash has to basically be all removed maually. Thought about mixing in some rice to see how that performs though. It may choke it down too much or burn to fast. Thinking this also was allways desgned to be day stove so any burn time 6 hours or mare is probably good.

Kevin

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Feb. 25, 2015 3:14 pm

I hope you didn't need all of that heat. :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”