Axeman Anderson 260 Boiler Parts Needed

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Thu. Feb. 26, 2015 11:51 am

This is my first post on here and I am in need or some help locating parts. I found an Axeman Anderson 260 in a basement sitting off to the side (long story short). I made the home owner an offer and he accepted. So four of us were able to get the monster out of the basement. Luckily there were only 2 steps to go up an I brought a come along with. Once on the trailer I got it home and put it in the garage. Over the past few months I have begun to clean up and refurbish the unit. I have pressure tested and found no leaks. I was originally told the boiler leaked. Only sign of a leak that I see is around the coil area. Little rust and one stud busted off. Now for the kicker. I am missing the complete blower housing and support, auger support, motor, and belts. I have talked to Pete Axeman and said that he would be happy to sell me all new parts but I could save money if I could find the things that I need used and rebuild them. He was very helpful to talk to. So any help finding parts would be greatly appreciated.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 28, 2015 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum Ziggy,

Sorry you didn't get any traction on your thread here. I guess all the AA guys are hanging onto any spare parts they have. Keep an eye on craigslist, every once in a while an AA pops up on there for cheap. I would think most of the parts from an AA130 would work on your AA260? The AA130's are a lot more common than the AA260's.

-Don

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Feb. 28, 2015 9:16 am

A lot of what you need is 260M specific. Call Pete back and get a manual and parts list, that will help you figure out what you can use from a 130M. You could use a hopper to feed it, the blower is what you need to get it up and running.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I am missing the complete blower housing and support, auger support, motor, and belts
Scrap yards, maybe???

These are specific to the 260:
complete blower housing
and support
motor and belts

This fit both:
auger support

Mikeeg02
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Sat. Feb. 28, 2015 7:24 pm

The augers are different as well. The transfer heads are the same but typically will need re-drilled to match the holes at the boiler. The controls are basically the same though the wire lengths are different.

While you got a bargain on the vessel itself, you basically need to find someone scrapping one to build a complete unit. Your best bet is to watch for one in your local classifieds. Occasionally they are on Craig's list sub 1,000. But they don't last long. Your best bet is to replace most/all the controls when you start anyways so you know your at a known good state.

I sold a 260 not long ago for what I had in it, 1,200 And it needed a little work yet. But it wasn't sitting long.

ziggy87

Post by ziggy87 » Sat. Feb. 28, 2015 10:10 pm

I already have a manual and parts list form Pete. I got that when I went up to get a coil gasket and blank off plate to pressure test the vessel. I talked to a fellow on Friday and he thinks that he has some parts laying around, so hopefully he will get back to me. I think he sells and services anthratube's also. I do have the auger already luckily. As for controls I plan on all new or rebuilt controls. Sid Harveys has good pricing on there rebuilt controls and good reliability . That is for the controls that I can get from them that are not AA specific. Thanks for the suggestion on the scrap yard I will need to check that out this week. Thanks to all for all the advice so far.

Ziggy

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Make sure you put new gaskets on the boiler when you are ready to put it together. You can order them from Axeman Anderson. The great thing about these boilers, and one's like EFM, is they are still in business and have all the parts to boot.

Check if Glen Harris or Scrapper have any parts. Be sure to go to the wanted section and post what you need there.

Good luck, you'll be happy when the boiler is up and running.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Once you fire it up, retighten the water coil every couple of days for a week or so. The boiler breathes going through its cycles and the gasket gives up some width. Don't crank it down, nust good and snug. If you don't they tend to start weeping after a while. This is critical with steam.

ziggy87

Post by ziggy87 » Mon. Mar. 09, 2015 8:52 am

Vampiro thanks for the suggestions I will pm them this week. I will also try to post in the wanted section. Coaledsweat sweat it might be a while till it is fired off, but as for gaskets they will all get renewed. Being a former HVAC mechanic I know the importance of a proper rebuild will last many years. Thank you all for the suggestions and help. This project will probably take me a year to complete. For now the pellet boiler will need to do. :?

-Jason

ziggy87

Post by ziggy87 » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 9:58 pm

I was able to get all the parts that I needed to move on with this project. Now the fun begins with cleaning all grease off and going over everything. The boiler is going up to Axeman Anderson to have the coil extension plate put on since there is a stud broken off and the is some erosion on the gasket area. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Jason

Attachments

20150330_201945.jpg
.JPG | 102.5KB | 20150330_201945.jpg
20150330_201936.jpg
.JPG | 115KB | 20150330_201936.jpg
20150330_201929.jpg
.JPG | 112.7KB | 20150330_201929.jpg
20150330_201915.jpg

Fan is in good shape with no cracks.

.JPG | 107.6KB | 20150330_201915.jpg

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”