Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Missed that one. Sorry

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:12 am

I have had great success with the thermostat control this season, not one undershoot or overshoot, it has stayed 72, I just installed a programmable thermostat last night, we will see if this yields any savings, I hae it set for 68 at night, 72 for the morning, 68 for the day, and73 for evening time.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 95KB | image.jpg

tomsusmc
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Vogelzang Norseman 2500
Coal Size/Type: Nut-Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil Burner

Post by tomsusmc » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Hotblast.....

I too, hooked up a thermostat to my Vogelzang 2500 this past week.... I bought the draft induction kit about 15 years ago, when I bought the furnace, I just never tried using the thermostat/relay.....

My draft induction port was like Lee's over the firebed, I didn't want that, so I mounted the blower on the ash pan door, and used it that way for years, on a timer for the blower.

I didn't fire my furnace up yet with the thermostat, my coal trailer has a frozen Coalberg in it, I didn't cover it! Live & Learn.....lol

Where is your furnace located? mine is in my garage, and I'm unsure as of now where I'm gonna mount my thermostat...... I might just mount it to the furnace cabinet, locating a temp zone range with a infrared thermo....

My thermostat is mechanical, not digital......

Keep us posted on how your set-up is working.....

Thanks,
Tom S.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 9:59 am

Well???? ya hooked up yet????? oorah ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 10:37 am

tomsusmc wrote:my coal trailer has a frozen Coalberg in it, I didn't cover it! Live & Learn....
yeahhhhhh been there, done that just recently...... :oops:

Park it in the sun and drape some clear or black plastic over the pile. Solar power melts the top few inches scrape it off and repeat the process....took a few days but it worked!

tomsusmc

Post by tomsusmc » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks, I'll try that, Titleist1.......we got another 2" of that white stuff last night......so there's about 10" covering the coal....

Tom S.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 12:06 pm

My furnace is located in my basement, the thermostat is in the center of the upstairs, by my return duct.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 12:08 pm

I would deff mount your thermostat in your living space, not in the garage on the furnace, you would not gain much.

tomsusmc

Post by tomsusmc » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Hotblast,

I have long enough leads on the thermostat to experiment where it needs to be mounted..... my game plan was to use it for those wee hours in the morning, when the coal fire temp is starting to drop, hoping it would give it some reviving air via the induction blower...... just enough air to keep it burning until I get out of the nest and get moving for the day.....lol

Are you using the factory draft induction kit for your furnace?

I have been following your mods, and how does your secondary air react to being thermostatically controlled? meaning, I'm assuming your primary air from the induction blower comes under your grates, as well as your secondary air into your 3/4" pipes?

My laptop computer doesn't have good resolution, and viewing your mod photos, they are kinda dark for me, is the TSC exhaust flapper mounted on the rear of your furnace?
And I knew they made zone valves for boiler/hot water circulation, but didn't know they made one for hot air??

Thank you,
Tom S.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 1:31 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:I have had great success with the thermostat control this season, not one undershoot or overshoot, it has stayed 72, I just installed a programmable thermostat last night, we will see if this yields any savings, I hae it set for 68 at night, 72 for the morning, 68 for the day, and73 for evening time.
That's awesome! I may do this trick with the actuator like you did for next year :)

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 2:24 pm

tomsusmc wrote:Hotblast,

I have long enough leads on the thermostat to experiment where it needs to be mounted..... my game plan was to use it for those wee hours in the morning, when the coal fire temp is starting to drop, hoping it would give it some reviving air via the induction blower...... just enough air to keep it burning until I get out of the nest and get moving for the day.....lol

Are you using the factory draft induction kit for your furnace?

I have been following your mods, and how does your secondary air react to being thermostatically controlled? meaning, I'm assuming your primary air from the induction blower comes under your grates, as well as your secondary air into your 3/4" pipes?

My laptop computer doesn't have good resolution, and viewing your mod photos, they are kinda dark for me, is the TSC exhaust flapper mounted on the rear of your furnace?
And I knew they made zone valves for boiler/hot water circulation, but didn't know they made one for hot air??

Thank you,
Tom S.
I do not have a draft inducer, this is done by pure draft, yes primary and secondary air are under the grates, mine is the 1357 so inlet in the rear goes to under the grates, not above like bigger models, the run cap is on the rear outlet with a 4" long piece of pipe on it, the zone valve was for a boiler, but I have removed it and installed a heavy duty actuator like what's used for duct work, and that opens and closes the rain cap with a chain and it is controlled by the thermostat upstairs.

tomsusmc

Post by tomsusmc » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Okay....thanks for the info......it's a little different than what I'm trying to do, Hotblast....

My thermostat will control an induction blower.....

Tom S.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”