Trouble After a Few Days

Mikedosow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy king 480ek
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Mikedosow » Sun. Mar. 01, 2015 9:35 pm

I have been using coal in my energy king 480 ek furnace . EK had told me to use automatic damper which runs off thermostat my house doesn't drop below 72 so after two days or so the coal starts to burn out I started to us the manual damper on the ash door I have opened it about 3/4 a turn and it's a little better it seems. When I shake it I get ash then glowing red but also glowing coal when I almost Lose the fire I notice still slot of ash in side anyone have any advice. I usually burn wood and have the stove figured out but coal is driving me crazy when is burning good it makes me want to only use coal then it starts its games on me. Any help would be awesome.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Mar. 01, 2015 10:27 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are getting ash buildup in the firebox, that will slow down the burning coal. You have to keep the ashes out of there to get the fire to keep burning. Keep the ash pan clean also, if ashes build up too high in there, it will cause your grates to overheat and warp.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:25 am

Shake it down until you see some glowing embers dropping into the ash.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:38 am

Some pix of your set-up would be real helpful. Ash build-up does sound like the culprit. Yes, welcome to the FORUM MD.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:27 am

Sounds like your unit can be as temperamental as my Harman. There is just no way that I can clear enough ash simply by shaking. I had to take a 1/4" rod, bend a 90 poke and rake from top and then shake. I do this at each reload; and seems to work just fine for me.
Jim

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:46 am

Mikedosow wrote:I have been using coal in my energy king 480 ek furnace . EK had told me to use automatic damper which runs off thermostat my house doesn't drop below 72 so after two days or so the coal starts to burn out I started to us the manual damper on the ash door I have opened it about 3/4 a turn and it's a little better it seems. When I shake it I get ash then glowing red but also glowing coal when I almost Lose the fire I notice still slot of ash in side anyone have any advice. I usually burn wood and have the stove figured out but coal is driving me crazy when is burning good it makes me want to only use coal then it starts its games on me. Any help would be awesome.
I've got to ask.............did you get the furnace with the coal grates? Website says it comes standard with wood grates, coal grates are an option.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 1:42 pm

J F Graham wrote:Sounds like your unit can be as temperamental as my Harman. There is just no way that I can clear enough ash simply by shaking. I had to take a 1/4" rod, bend a 90 poke and rake from top and then shake. I do this at each reload; and seems to work just fine for me.
Jim
That's a pain I assume. You probably have the muscle memory to do it in your sleep by now.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 5:07 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
J F Graham wrote:Sounds like your unit can be as temperamental as my Harman. There is just no way that I can clear enough ash simply by shaking. I had to take a 1/4" rod, bend a 90 poke and rake from top and then shake. I do this at each reload; and seems to work just fine for me.
Jim
That's a pain I assume. You probably have the muscle memory to do it in your sleep by now.
Not relay a pain; only takes about a minute. But ifn I don't do it I will see dead spots within 24 hrs, in corners and around edge. However you are right about 1 thing. I can certainly, by now do it in my sleep. :D
Jim

Mikedosow

Post by Mikedosow » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Sorry I took so long to reply still trying to figure out how to use this forum I will post some pictures
I did order the shakers and I am just not getting all the ash out. I know coal isn't wood. wood is very easy I'm trying to be patient but it's a lot of work I did start to poke it and seemed to get a lot more ash. Do I need to bring the burn up really hot at least every day . Have a lot of questions all info you guys can give me is greatly appreciated

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:25 pm

When you are done shaking, be sure you have a glow in your ash pan area from the full grate area, then you know the ashes are out.

Mikedosow

Post by Mikedosow » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:49 pm

When I shake it down I get a glow but also get big chunks of burning coal so I stop I will run a poker threw it to see if it gets better . How low can I I choke fire down when I add coal to I have to let the fire light all new coal my fire box holds about 160 pounds some people say it should burn for days so I'm not doing something right

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 7:00 pm

I burn Bituminous coal, so I can't be a lot of help. You can read this thread: Chronicles of the Clayton it will help you. Lightning, the OP of that thread should be able to help you a lot. Your furnace is similar.

Mikedosow

Post by Mikedosow » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Here are the pictures of my stove The other thing I was wondering I'm in Massachusetts been in the low teens at night uper 20s during the day if I put in 25 pounds what should my ash weigh

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 119.5KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 127.4KB | image.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 10:24 pm

You have a nice glow but that is just the center. I believe Lightning uses an ell shaped poker from above to clear the base of the inclined bricks. The fire should burn from side to side if clear and not just in the center.

Mikedosow

Post by Mikedosow » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 10:27 pm

I just got home and loaded again took pictures before I forgot. Lol

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”