michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Mar. 04, 2015 9:41 pm

TLC lover wrote:
michaelanthony wrote:Hi TLC lover, what do you have for stove and pipe temps? Are you running commando or do you have mpd and or baro in the flue?
Commando for now. Stove temps all sold out. I got a late start. ;)
Looks like there's no snow around your chimney lol. Are you going through a lot of coal?

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 4:45 am

We open the over fire (secondary) air and crack a couple of windows. The occasional fresh air is a nice change to the stale winter indoor air.

TLC lover
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, Stove Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil 3:), Wood if i feel frisky!

Post by TLC lover » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 10:49 am

Seagrave1963 wrote:We open the over fire (secondary) air and crack a couple of windows. The occasional fresh air is a nice change to the stale winter indoor air.
Well, I see I am not the only one with this problem. It cranks out ALOT of heat! I cannot imagine running it wide open! I am learning tho. First year :P

fishhead631
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC-2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: UGH! Oil burner.. Gets me sick just thinking about it.

Post by fishhead631 » Thu. Mar. 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi TLC lover, this is my first year owning and burning the TLC2000 and consider myself a freshman in coal burning compared to many others on this great informational forum..
Man, I can tell you coming from burning wood for the last 15 years, this stove and the heat it provides is incredible with very little attention...
- I have never had to burn with the primary air slide more then 50% open even on those single digit temps this winter. As you know, at 50% open that stove can over-fire real quick if not monitored...
- Always keep the two side secondary's closed (down) unless your starting a new fire or burning wood.
- before shaking (which I do twice a day) open the primary and get the fire blazing (~10-15 minutes) add a layer of coal, let it cook for 5 minutes and then shake that handle (short-quick strokes, usually around 20 until you see the red glow lightening up the ash pan).
- now I'll usually grab a poker and probe/scrape around the bricks all the way down to the grates. This stove has a tendency to attract clinkers that jam the grates. This winter it happened twice which required me to kill the fire, cool down, clear the clinker(aka Rock) and fire backup.
I can run my stove pretty low when the outside temp gets above 40* by sliding the prim all the way to the left and backing it to the right about a pinkie finger width....
I burn from Halloween and won't shut down till the temp stays above 50... So far I burnt 2.5 tons of nut.
As time goes on, You'll get familiar with your stove (no two stove burns identical), just by looking at it you will know immediately how she's feeling and what action she needs to be taken to make it happy again.... Hope this helps.. Stay warm!
Eddie

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”